What to do with my collection of caps, beanies and do rags?

Options
2»

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    My eyebrows & eyelashes thinned considerably on TC but they didn't go completely. So there is hope!

If you're somewhere cold a sleep hat is invaluable. It has more fabric in it than the regular chemo hat so you can pull it over your ears when you sleep.

Pop TC into the search bar and you'll find some useful information and discussion. @Kiwi Angel, @Finch and myself have all had this treatment this year. Don't hesitate to hit us up with any queries or worries you might have. It's not easy but you'll get through. Big hug, Kate xox
  • Jual
    Jual Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Hi @jmichelle
    i have passed on all my headwear but hopefully others will respond. 
    I also had TC chemo and yes I lost my hair and eyebrows and lashes to a fair extent! It’s all manageable with a bit of planning. I found cutting my hair short first then going for a buzz cut once it started to fall out, helped me feel still in control!

Must say losing brows was a bit harder but thAt happened towards the end of chemo and by then I was pretty good at drawing them in! If you can get to a Look Good Feel Better workshop in your local health facility that is really great as well. 

TC chemo is ok as they usually do it in a three weekly cycle where in days after you feel a bit average but then pick up in weeks 2 and 3. Suggest you stock up with suggested drugs for side effects in advance if you can manage it - paracetamol, Movicol and things to prevent constipation, Imodium for diarrhoea etc. clinic should give you a list and tell you what to take as a preventative! Try to suffer as little as possible so have a low threshold to take medications for the side effects. Keep track of what worked for next time.  Walking, Sunshine and  fresh air helped as did rest and being kind to yourself. 

All the best! 
  • jmichelle
    jmichelle Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you for your replies will take all advice on board, best wishes to you
  • Finch
    Finch Member Posts: 302
    Options
    @jmichelle wishing you the best for your TC chemo.  I've just finished mine  a week ago and currently having a nice little break in Queensland before I commence radiation on Tuesday.
    if your not having the cold cap your hair will fall out quite drastically from day 13, on day 12 imine was all there and by day 14 half of it was gone. My eyebrows are virtually non-existent right now and I'm drawing them in with the eyebrow pencil I was given at the Look Good Feel Better workshop. The workshop was brilliant and I highly advise you do it.
    i treated myself in each week three.  Went to an open garden/meal out/winery trip, that sort of thing and I also had a facial.  The facial was my extra special treat, something I've very rarely done but had every three weeks and for me it was the bees knees and gave me something to look forward to.  It was my pamper , what ever your dream pamper, book it in, it will give you something to focus on when you're feeling unwell.
    I also prepared for the worst and hoped for the best.  I had an overnight bag packed ready to throw into the car in case I had a rushed trip to hospital (never used) and had a chemo caddy (small basket)  I had with me for at home with lip balm, hand cream, my book, pen and note book, thermometer, water bottle, Panadol and ginger tasting sweets and fruit tingles to suck on when the mouth felt awful.
    My biggest advice would be drink 2 1/2 - 3 litres water a day in that first week of chemo and even into second. I believe that was the one thing that helped me the most.
    Overall it was doable, it was scary to start and I remember the nervousness of fronting up at the oncology clinic for first treatment.  After that I was fine.
    Anything else I can help you with please ask. Good luck! Kick cancer! Take care xxxxx
  • jmichelle
    jmichelle Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Thank you, will be taking all advice on board, trying to go in with a get this done attitude, hope it lasts lol, will be making a chemo caddy fantastic idea,  you take care as well xxxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Goo d luck with it.