Flu shot

Options
Patti J
Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
edited April 2018 in Health and wellbeing
I have just been to visit my G.P. for my X-geva  injection. She wants me to check with my oncologist whether I should have a flu injection or not. I am on Capecitabine. I don't  usually have a flu injection, even though  I  used to work in a large public hospital,  because one of my co-workers nearly died from respiratory failure after a flu injection.
What do others think?
Tagged:

Comments

• duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128
    Options
    I had my ‘flu injection last week. I have one every year and especially now as I am over 65 years.  It was ok’d by my Oncologist as I am still having chemo. No side effects, and it was painless!
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I’m having chemo now and my oncologist wanted me to get one but I haven’t as yet.  Have never had one and worried it will make me sick. 
  • DebP
    DebP Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Im a nurse - I was going through chemo last flu season- I have never been a fan of the flu jab - I discussed with my Oncologist and he didn't push me to have one last year. 

• wendy55
    wendy55 Member Posts: 774
    Options
    Hi I am on xeloda and have had my flu injection both last year and this year, just check with oncologist for the best time in your cycle to have the flu jab, just a tip I always have my injections in my rear end{more fat}, and I have never had any reaction to my skin, my xgeva injections I have in my tummy though -
    wendy55
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your comments. I am very sceptical about the flu shots, especially when last year's version was so inappropriate for the flu that we had in Australia. I will have to listen to what my oncologist says. She used to be a microbiologist  before she retrained as an oncologist. 
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Yes it is a hard one I agree, Ive had the flu shot since finishing chemo in 2015, my GP has been adamant since then that I need to have it. I was absolutely fine to be honest having it. I work in education with constant sick kids lol. Food for thought I guess, its individual like everything I think. Though gee watching 60 minutes on the killer flu, there were 1100 people who died last year because they weren't vaccinated. Uuuugh who knows! xo
  • KatyJoy
    KatyJoy Member Posts: 181
    Options
    I just spoke to my oncologist about this today. I am not currently on chemo but am taking palbociclib on the Pallas trial and my neutrophils are low at 1.0. He said I can have flu vaccine, just not live vaccines for two years after chemo. Flu vax is not a live vaccine
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options

I was always against it until I was doing chemo and my white cells were incredibly low. My oncologist urged be to have it and I have had one every year since.  I have no side effects whatsoever.  @katyJoy is right, it is a killed vaccine. 

Paula x

• poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    Options
    Same thoughts as @melclarity . I've never had one and didn't last year as I was right in the middle of chemo/radio
    but my GP has mentioned it this year and now I'm in 2 minds what to do also  :(

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    I asked my gp about gettting a flu shot this year. I have never had a flu shot before and I am 56. He said the best way to get full immunity is to get over having the flu. Just come in and we'll treat the symptoms if you get it so its easier on you.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I think your GP has never had the flu @brenda5!  I've had it twice in my life - one time worse than the other but I was so sick one time when I was about 20 that I really didn't care whether I lived or died as long as it was quick.
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    I’m similar to you @Sister.  I had a shocking flu about 10 years ago (couldn’t stand up from the shower floor) which took a month to recover from and have had a flu shot ever since.  I work with the general public and they can be a germy lot!!  I haven’t had the flu since getting my annual shot but I understand to get the jab or not is a personal decision. May we all glide through winter unscathed!  Jane x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    My GP insists that I have the flu shot.  What I have noticed lately, being on public transport, is a lot of sneezing and coughing and me thinking look away, don't breathe, please don't come near me!  Goodness that is the last thing I want!  
    I too had a bad bout years ago and the thought gives me the shivers!
    This morning I received a compliment and I thought wow I know I have been looking crappy and hiding it with make-up, or so I thought, but today it certainly boosted my spirits!   
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

Years in public libraries had me believing my natural immunity would be enough--I'd had what I considered to be reactions to the jab a couple of times (a sore arm and a bit of a runny nose) so decided I'd not have them in the future. I got the flu in 2016 shortly after I was diagnosed (again) Wow. I was sooo sick. Any discomfort I'd had after the jab paled in comparison.

Last year my GP suggested a jab which I had a 6 weeks after chemo. No problems. I'll have another this year as my white cells are still shite and I would go well out of my way to avoid another bout of anything similar to the last one. I can understand the skepticism about flu shots but I feel too compromised to put myself at risk if there is a chance of any benefit at all. It would seem the timing is really important--too early and there is the risk of running out of immunity before the end of the flu season, too late and you might be, well, too late.

Like many matters medical, there is conflicting information if you look hard enough and conspiracy theories are not hard to find either. It's a personal choice, but I feel desperate times call for desperate measures. I'd hate to have gone through all this only to be bumped off by something I could (perhaps) have avoided.

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    I have only had flu once in my life and I second @Sister - all I wanted was to die quickly .I have flu injections every year .

Please be aware if you get flu and act quickly your gp can give you a Tamiflu injection or similar which can reduce  it’s severity but eventually when stocks of Tamiflu are low they prioritise who it’s available to.

The govt has priority list for free vaccination - asthmatics , over 65 and anyone with a health issue whose immune system makes them vulnerable and I believe those who have had cancer treatment fit that bill.