Flu shot

Options
2»

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    No live vaccine is used in the flu vaccine so you can't get the flu from it. (Sometimes people are already exposed to somebody with the flu virus without knowing around same time as the vaccine, people are infective from 24 to 48 hours prior displaying flu symptoms )

However because your immune system is compromised it might not be as effective. Ask your oncologist about timing to have it. Have family around you have it. Herd immunity is very helpful. 

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/keyfacts.htm
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    I think without being a scare monger, people die from the flu every year. Lots of them. I was always anti the flu shot and I too got the real flu. I was unwell for weeks. My white cell count is never great after two lots of Chemo in 18mths and as I said before I now have the shot every year. My oncologist recommended it for me. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I've had the 'flu twice as an adult and yes, I'm with @Sister and co on the experience. The last time I remember crawling between my bed and the bathroom because I literally couldn't stand up and walk, wondering if this was what dying felt like...

It was 'flu shot day here in my hospital today. It was all the nurses & support staff talked about all morning.

I see my oncologist next week and I'll ask her about it then.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    Well, I  saw my oncologist today and she told me that the flu shot would not go well with Xeloda. So, I  don't  have to have it. 
    I will just have to steer clear of people with colds which might be a bit difficult but I  am  relieved that  I don't  have to have the shot. I am so over needles!