Anyone tried a detox retreat after chemo??

Options
jane84
jane84 Member Posts: 63
edited March 2018 in Health and wellbeing
Hi 

I'd love to know if anyone has done a 7day detox retreat after chemo?? What are your experiences?? Any recommendations??

I'm considering doing one once chemo finishes in three weeks and just after my lumpectomy late April! 

Jane 
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Gawd, Jane, finishing chemo qualifies as the best detox ever! Sort of like stopping banging your head on the ground being the best pain killer.

Well done you if you are up to any sort of controlled diet process at the end of chemo. I was so over not being able to tolerate anything  but sugar and starch that a cautious reintroduction of things like vegies and pulses was enough for me. 

If you are going somewhere to do this, just take care of yourself. Chemo does diabolical things to your gut bugs and while good diet is important, you have had an absolute caning and might sit outside the experince of many businesses.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I had my final chemo last week @Jane84. As soon as my tastebuds return I'm going to feed my gut with kombucha & kimchi (previously loved but currently tasting revolting) and whatever else I can get my hands on for gut health! I'm with @Zoffiel though, I don't think I could manage a detox; it'll take all I have to resume a 'normal' healthy diet.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Each to their own and there are very few right answers for everyone but I would be tempted to get some medical advice on this one. A 7 day detox sounds fairly rigourous, and as someone who didn't have too many noticeable side effects during chemo, I was nevertheless reminded by one of my medicos that irrespective of how noticeable the effects are, chemo is still knocking your body around big time.  Perhaps a bit of normalising/recovery space might be useful before the detox?
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Jane84
    As others have suggested take care when considering a detox post chemo
    You do have to be kind to those gut microbes perhaps more consulting required with  cancer diet nutritionist
    All best
    Bright in hope

• jane84
    jane84 Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Thanks guys!! As always I will consult my Oncologist before doing anything, but was hoping someone might have their own experience to share :) 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    Options
    I did detox juices with my onco permission  he allowed it from day 15 to day 20 and day 21 was chemo again