Night time bra?

Options
Bravo
Bravo Member Posts: 64
How long do I need to wear a bra at night? Its been several weeks since the lumpectomy surgery and this nasty bra is becoming the most uncomfortable item of clothing I own. One morning I expect my bottom half to be severed from the top. I have nightmares about being strangulated across my midriff. The little hooks and eyes are working in my favour though; they pop open during the night (never all of them). This happens during the daytime too. I'm convinced my breasts are conspiring to escape the restrictions of the nasty bra.
Please, someone tell me I can go to bed in my natural state, SOON!

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    I only wore one 4 to 6 weeks after mastectomy and reconstruction so would think you'd be okay by now. I moved to an aah brah style from 3 weeks as found the stretch still a bit much ...which was much more comfy for sleeping but gave a tiny bit of support.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Hi @bravo, I was told to wear a night bra for four months but mine was after a mastectomy with immediate reconstruction using an implant and it was to ensure the implant was supported and stayed in the correct position during the night. I did change over to a soft padded crop top bra after a couple of months just for comfort and am still wearing one of a night time even now because I figure if I've got an anti sagging breast I might as well look after it
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Options
    Don't know where the rest of my post went  - but I hope you get to be comfy soon.  Xx Cath 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    My night sleep in a crop top is like a security blanket - it's what you get used to and as @socoda said it is about protecting the new breast and keeping it in the anti sagging brigade - makes the other breast so jealous!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    @Bravo if its from Lumpectomy, I wouldnt think you would need to wear it beyond a few weeks. From memory with mine I may have worn it a week thats all. With my Mastectomy/recon Im 10 weeks post now and I only wore a crop to bed as per surgeons instructions, still am, its so soft and comfy. You could check with your Breast Care Nurse, but if youre feeling ok, Id take it off, or switch into a crop so you still have a little support but are comfortable and no longer restricted. M x
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Options
    Hi @Bravo, I had a nipple sparing mastectomy with immediate silicone implant last August.  After I ditched the hook and eye straight jacket 8 weeks post op, I continue to sleep in a crop top. I'm a bit of a sprawler when I sleep (looking for the cool patch of sheet I think!) and I just feel I need that extra bit of support. Also, I was so relieved I didn't have any problem with my nipple rejecting after the surgery I'm worried I'll scratch myself during the night and not feel it as I'm numb.
    It does feel good to get out of the surgical bra, hope its not too long before you can sleep more comfortably! Jane xx
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    Options
    Its been 4 weeks since my lumpectomy and I went the post op bra during the day and change over to the R Bra type of a night.  Initially each time I took off ANY bra my affected breast felt sore -  I felt like the new adhesions were tearing or something as the book dropped to normal position.  So I found it more comfortable to wear the comfy droptop type r bras.  Together with the exercises I thought my poor old boobs were starting to look a bit lifted. lol. maybe not - but ill ask oncologist when I start radiation what they think.  Mine are comfy and don't prevent me from sleeping - in fact may keep them more enclosed so I don't lay on them. lol. 
  • Bravo
    Options
    I believe I'm the only woman whose boobs actually flop about. When I lie down they flatten out. When I lie on my left side the right breast flops over onto the left. It tries to get in the bra cup with the left breast. When I lie on my right side the left breast flops down into the right bra cup. 
    I think my underwire bras (which I have thrown in the bin) might have been able to corral each boob in its place, but these post surgery bras are useless when sleeping. Can someone remind me why I'm wearing them?
  • Bravo
    Options
    Sandramj, what is a R bra type?
  • sandramj
    sandramj Member Posts: 253
    Options
    No you're definitely NOT the only one with FREE moving boobs,  Bravo Im thinking we're wearing them because someone told us to.  someone who we thought was wiser than us.  Hmmmm. Try the r bra sort like a crop top. The 'girls' seem to be content with staying in their own little area of a night.  I know exactly what you say about the opposite boob trying to co-sleep with the other one when laying on your side. lol. Maybe someone could invent a sort of lassoo, coral type bra with strings or something - or maybe some gel stuff that sticks to the skin and holds it.  I found without a bra I would actually lie on my boob - and woke up feeling pretty damn sore when it was the one from the surgery.  

Here's the type of bra I brought.  I got five for memory.  They are great and comfortable..  But don't try running in them. lol. 
    http://www.dshop.com.au/buy/3-x-pack-seamless-sports-bras/1211?gclid=CJCd55PO39MCFUwGKgodavALIg

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Also known as Ahh bras!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    2 Pack Wirefree Seamfree Padded Crop Bras

2 Pack Wirefree Seamfree Padded Crop Bras

$15.00 
    These are the KMART ones, they have a removable cup and so I took them out and they are so comfy this is what the hospital told me to get for post mastectomy/recon. I live in them and my boobs dont escape and Im a 12 E :D 

Melinda xo
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    Aaaah...as in comfy as opposed to r as in pirate. Lol
  • Bravo
    Options
    Well, that was easy! Bras have been ordered. Thanks to all for good advice and cheery comments. 
    PS I didn't get the pink ones.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Options
    They are very comfy bras. I've been wearing them for a long time now as I hate underwires. I like the padding lol coz I'm a b cup and makes me look like I have actual boobs. You can also get them at target and best and less.