Tummy problems

Options
hi all, I finished chemo and Radiothreaphy last Aug 2016. I'm triple neg. I had a lumpectomy stage 1 grade 3.  No lymph nodes involved. Apart from an attack of shingles I got thru all treatment ok.  However since last Aug when I finished I have had tummy problems. I've had Ultra sounds and a ct scan....all fine. I also had a colonoscopy and gastroscopy.  I had a pre cancerous poly removed. My 'gut' area showed chronic inflammation. So I was told the chemo did the damage. Also I never took the nexium the oncologist prescribed for me as I never experienced reflux. However I found out I experienced silent reflux which means you do have reflux with no symptoms.  The GP suggested the pain is the stomach going into a spasm so I'm on buscopan.  Also I am experiencing discomfort under both arms but ct scan clear so who knows what that is.
I feel great of a morning and try doing yoga daily, walking mosts days and walk up and down the pool as much as possible but by the afternoon I'm stuffed and have middle back pain.
sorry I have raved on a bit.....honestly I feel like a hypochondriac at times.  I would love to hear from other people whom have experienced all this stuff.
i go early March for blood test etc.....always a worry.
take care girls and thank you for all your interesting posts. One more thing. The yoga which I started about four months ago is amazing, strongly suggest everyone give it a go. 
Anne-Marie 

Comments

• Pammy46
    Pammy46 Member Posts: 162
    Options
    Hi Anne-Marie 
    whilst I didn't have chemo I have suffered gut problems for years I have pain without acid was diagnosed years ago with reflux have taken nexium and all the over the counter meds which ease the symptoms but never go away
    a friend got me on to a pro biotic drink from the health food store it is a coconut pro biotic with lemon myrtle you have 20 ml with a glass of water everyday and I haven't looked back it's amazing.. it has 10 billion good bacteria to help your gut it's worth a try 
    hope this helps
    pam x

• LITHGOW1950
    LITHGOW1950 Member Posts: 314
    Options
    It's definitely worth a try Pam. Thank you so much I'll be out tomorrow to buy some.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm still experiencing gut issues following chemo and I took nexium twice a day and zantac occasionally too. I now take nexium daily but in the past week needed an evening dose as the reflux sensation (which can just feel like anxiety) wouldn't go away with anything else. I still can't  eat very spicy foods without burning and only recently have I been able to eat fruit without pain. I avoid sour fruit though unless with other foods. Red wine is still off the menu.  :/

I'm still hoping it will improve..I finished Sept 2016.

I also get middle and sometimes upper back pain if standing too long but it is improving as I develop more strength. I've been doing aquafit, some swimming or pool walking and just walking. I tried zumba but just not ready yet as I get overtired the next day. I'm working 4 days a week and just up to 8 hours a day...so needing a nap when I get home. We will get there I am sure. Kath x
  • LITHGOW1950
    Options
    Thanks Kath, I eat a lot of fruit and was wondering if that upsets me. I've booked in to see a dietician early March and I will also try Pams suggestion. Well done handling work. No wonder you need a rest when you get home. And so good you are so active. 
    Take care, Anne-Marie
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options

I'm seriously looking at what's happening with fecal transplants. I'd love to see a proper research project on this topic. Ten years ago AC completely changed the way my insides work. TC this time has just excoriated my whole intestinal tract. I'm in so much pain and not digesting anything properly. I literally feel like I'm starving and only absorbing sugar.

I'm not a health nut, but l know that my general well being depends on my gut flora being in good condition. Between the chemo and a couple of vigorous floggings by strong antibiotics I reckon what ever bacteria are left in my colon are in pretty bad shape and probably not in anything like proper proportion.

Probiotics don't seem to do any harm--and I'm taking them-- but there is scant evidence that they do a whole lot of good. And they do nothing to restore balance in your lower intestine. I'd like to do more with prebiotics--diet elements that encourage good bacteria but I can't tolerate them at the moment.

I'll give it a couple of months after chemo to see if things improve but if they don't I think I may have to investigate options to get my insides working properly.

• primek
    Options
    I know there was some great programs on the ABC about the feacal implant. But what I remember from tbat was focussing on the diet with a wide variety of fresh foods with lower portions of highly processed carbs which did encourage more bad than good bacteria (the carbs that is...the fresh foods encouraged the good ) I've been focussing on that to lose weight (20kg since chemo finished) and am hoping this is the reason my gut has improved. AC was really hard on me...even water caused awful bloating.
  • LITHGOW1950
    Options
    Thanks  Zoffiel. Looks like it is something I have to live with. As I mentioned I'm seeing a dietitian early March so will let you know how I get on.  Guess I was wondering if it's normal following treatment. Nothing is normal!!  
    Well done Primek in your weight loss. I lost weight mainly when I had shingles, I needed to loose some but now trying to put it on. Crazy.  
    Thanks girls for all your interesting and helpful replies. 
    Anne-Marie
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Options
    Ann-Marie I finished Chemo december 2015 and still even now I suffer reflux or heartburn even when I have water! So I think definitely its affected the gut, however I dont have any other problems. Have you ever had lactose or fructose intolerance? It does sound like one of the wonderful side effects we are left with but I also think the Dietician may help shed some light! xo Melinda Yoga is next on my list lol loving my exericse physiologist and I feel good! 
  • primek
    Options
    Yes ...I can't tolerate milk now. Cheese and yoghurt okay. Interesting isn't it.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Love to hear how you go with the dietician, Anne-Marie. And congrats on the weight loss, Kath. I think we all know what we 'should' do, it's just a pity all the things we shouldn't do are so bloody delicious.

I figured out a couple of years ago that gluten is not my friend, dropped 15 kgs and stopped buying antacids. I wouldn't say I had an allergy, just wasn't the right food for me.

About 18 months ago my life started turning to rubbish and by the time it was confirmed that my cancer was back I was eating cheese toasties for morning tea and melting moments in the afternoon. I put on 10kg in and was back to being Tums best customer.

The lesson for me has been that knowing what is good for you is one thing, having the will power to act on that is another. Add to that this whole business of being envenomated every 21 days and then shittng out anything of any value for the next fortnight....

Thankfully I haven't gained any more weight since September but, despite walking about 8 km a day, I am sooooo flabby. I look like a series of  white plastic shopping bags filled with scrambled eggs. 

I want proper poos and proper farts. I don't want to scared of my toilet. Is that to much to ask for?
  • Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    Hi Anne-Marie  OMG your symptoms and pain are exactly what I am going through at the moment.  I have not had chemotherapy.  I have had the scans, etc.  Two small liver cysts and not much else.  I have been suffering from massive constipation over the past three weeks.  Nearly had to go to hospital the other week.  I feel like a hypochondriac too.  I have back pain.  I have been eating very little over the past two weeks.  I have minor reflux and was given Nexium.  I feel like I am going crazy and the pain does not go away. I also go to the pool most days and walk.  Take care. x
  • LITHGOW1950
    Options
    Hi Scooper,  poor love.  I don't ever get constipated but sometime a little gastric. What do they think yours is? Any mention of the stomach going into a spasm? How long has this been going on for you.  And have you considered going to a dietician? 
    Sorry so many questions. 
    Anne-Marie
  • LITHGOW1950
    Options
    Your post gave me a laugh Zoffiel. Throughout the process I also found out I am lactose intolerant. Something positive here as my poor husband has put up with my 'bad breath' for years but as I now eat lactose free products my bad breath is gone.  Also they found I have diverticulitis. I was told women who have had children will often suffer with this as they get older!  The surgeon who did the colonoscopy etc...had me trying degas which didn't really help. The buscopan have eased the problem but it's not totally gone away. 
    Good luck girls.  Please let me know if you find anything that's helps.
    Anne-Marie
  • primek
    Options
    The sad thing was I gained that 20kg between diagnosis, surgery  and chemo. I lived on toasties during AC as it was all I could stomach. Lol. So finally back to pre bc weight. Now just 8 kg to get back to my healthy weight bmi.
  • Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Options
    HI Anne-Marie - yes the stomach spams and pain were terrible.  I was nearly going to go to hospital.  I have been taking medication for my constipation - need to do so for about four weeks.  This is the third week that I have been feeling average.  No sign of anything nasty.  Have been eating very plain food, fruit, minimum red meat, drinking loads of water etc. I have back pain but had a clear bone scan in August.  I am so tired as I cant get comfortable at night time.  I am lucky that I am not working at the moment or have too many commitments.  I run out of sick leave at the end of March so I will have to go and do some casual work.