Forum Discussion
Betty123
7 months agoMember
Not sure
I was diagnosed with invasive ductal BC stage 2 ER+PR a couple of weeks ago lymph nodes do not seem affected for now ( biopsy was negative). My breast are small and MRI showed ~4cm cancer. I was wondering if mastectomy + reconstruction and possibly no radiation therapy was better than lumpectomy + radiation. Not sure what to do🤔
8 Replies
- DaisymooMember
Hope all goes well for you Betty123​. I had radiation and experienced only minimal side effects from it (some fatigue for a few weeks and skin itching/discomfort at the radiation site). I recommend using the StrataXRT on your skin if you can. It really works!
- JosieEBMember
Hi Betty123​ . I'm 55 and have recently had a similar diagnosis, although with no biopsy of lymph nodes yet (until day of surgery). Initially I was leaning towards mastectomy with no reconstruction hoping I wouldn't need radiation, but my surgeon steered me towards lumpectomy + radiation with surgery booked for 3 weeks. Now I've done some research, I'm wondering if I made the right decision.
- Betty123Member
Hi JosieEB​. I completely understand you I am second guessing everything now. My surgery is the 19th of Feb, so very soon, I will let you know how it goes. Hopefully the wait will not get too stressful for you 🤞.
- arpieMember
All the best for your surgery tomorrow, Betty123​ xx. Make sure you take your toys (ipad/tablet & power cords) or magazines as reading books is difficult in hospital - re-reading the same bit 5 times due to interruptions!! 🙃. I found earplugs (like the 3M ones in the pic - squish them into a 'small tube' & shove them in your ears!) and airplane eye 'goggles' a GODSEND, as hospitals are noisy, bright places, even after 'lights out'!!
Take care
- May2024Member
Hi Betty123​ I had a double mx in Nov 24 with immediate implant. The sentinel node was clear so I didn't require any further treatment. Had I opted for a lumpectomy, even though the sentinel node was clear, I would have required some type of treatment. I had it incredibly easy so to speak compared to so many others in this group. Decisions are always so hard. Have a chat to your surgeon if possible, or join the private recon / flat group. There is never a wrong decision as far as what we choose; we do what we feel is the best choice for us. All the best for your journey.
- Betty123Member
Thank you my surgeon suggested a lumpectomy + radiation and I think I am comfortable with that going in for surgery next week.
- Christina_BCNACommunity Manager
Hi Betty123​ welcome to our community - though I am sorry to hear of your recent diganosis I am glad to see you reaching out here for support. Regarding what would be 'better' for you, this question might best be checked with your healthcare team, though I understand wanting to reach out here to hear what others have chosen for themselves! Hopefully others can provide their experiences with mastectomy/recon and recovery which you can consider and take to your treating team to discuss :)