Going Solo

Options
tan_g
tan_g Member Posts: 56
edited May 2013 in General discussion

So, my reconstruction operation is this coming Monday 27th May, and yep...Im going alone...

Feeling pretty crappy about it all to be really honest... just wondering how other people have got through all this alone...if anyone has had to?

Admitting myself to hospital on Monday morning, and there won't be anyone there when I wake up, then i'll get myself back on a plane a few days later and fly home alone.

xx

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Tan

I am so sorry you will be going through your surgery on your own.  Is it not possible for you to have someone there for you when you wake up.  Where are you having your surgery?

I think the nurses will spoil you and will be more than attentive knowing your circumstances.

I didn't have to be on my own for my surgeries but I did do a large part of my journey on my own.

Make sure you take something special with you that you can cuddle and don't forget the ear plugs will you.

I am surprised they will be letting you fly so soon after surgery.

If it helps, I will be thinking of you on Monday and sending you very warm and comforting hugs to help you through your day. Lots of love coming your way.  Mich xoxoxoxo

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Tan

I am so sorry you will be going through your surgery on your own.  Is it not possible for you to have someone there for you when you wake up.  Where are you having your surgery?

I think the nurses will spoil you and will be more than attentive knowing your circumstances.

I didn't have to be on my own for my surgeries but I did do a large part of my journey on my own.

Make sure you take something special with you that you can cuddle and don't forget the ear plugs will you.

I am surprised they will be letting you fly so soon after surgery.

If it helps, I will be thinking of you on Monday and sending you very warm and comforting hugs to help you through your day. Lots of love coming your way.  Mich xoxoxoxo

• tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much.  My husband runs his own business and is so busy that he has to be there, my mum is having our children, and I just bring myself to ask a friend.  Im scared most about staying in Perth in a hotel on my own on Sunday night.... 

Its an awful situation but I guess I just have to be okay.

Tan

x

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First of all good luck on Monday, just keep thinking another step of the journey towards getting back to the new you...I live a 1100km round trip to the hospital where i was having treatment, and also have our own business, i was lucky enough my husband tried to be there when he could (we dont have kids so that was one less problem in the juggling).  But I must admit it took it out of our business (we have since sold out shop), and therefore our pockets, it is bad enough doing the journey when you are employed by someone else, but when you are both in the family business then every time you are away means NO money comming in, which adds to the pressure, I am sure the nurses around will spoil you.  Keep thinking this is the new you, staying in a hotel in a city you dont know is probably something you would never have done, so when its done and dusted a big pat on the back to you, so take some good books, nice choccies, and spoil yourself.We'll be thinking of you, please keep in touch, Regards Moira
  • tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options

Moira, thank-you soooo much.

Did you have reconstruction?

Love Tan

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

You will be in my thoughts on Sunday and Monday and I hope with all my heart that things will go well for you.

Being so far from home and your loved ones will be difficult and this is an expensive business anyway it must be so hard for all you ladies with the added burden of having to travel both financially and emotionally.

Is it possible for the hospital social worker to have a breast care nurse or someone to meet you when you arrive on Sunday and be there after the surgery for you? Coming out of surgery to a familiar face soothes the soul.

Take lovely

Donna

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

You will be in my thoughts on Sunday and Monday and I hope with all my heart that things will go well for you.

Being so far from home and your loved ones will be difficult and this is an expensive business anyway it must be so hard for all you ladies with the added burden of having to travel both financially and emotionally.

Is it possible for the hospital social worker to have a breast care nurse or someone to meet you when you arrive on Sunday and be there after the surgery for you? Coming out of surgery to a familiar face soothes the soul.

Take lovely

Donna

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options
    No Tan I had a lumpectomy, so didnt have the added problems of the reconstruction, but i am sure the ladies on here who have gone through that will have some great hints and tips for you of recovery.Take care will be thinking of you Monday.... xx
  • tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options

I guess I just want to know if the implants are MUCH better than the expanders?  My expanders are awful, hard, lopsided sit up really high and just generally look and feel awful.

• JENNIFERJ
    JENNIFERJ Member Posts: 37
    edited March 2015
    Options

I HAVE TEARS DOING THIS ,,I FEEL SO SPECIAL HAVING MY WONDERFUL HUSBAND AND SON AND DAUGHTER AT MY BED ALL THE TIME DURING MY LAST OPP FOR RECONSTUCTION AND ALL THE OTHERS.  I AM SO SORRY YOU ARE ALONE MY BEAUTIFUL SISTER LIVES IN PERTH I AM FROM ADELAIDE AND I NO SHE WOULD VISIT YOU IF YOU WOULD LIKE HER TO. SHE CAME OVER TWICE DURING MY TREATMENT AND IS ALWAY ON THE PHONE TO ME. PLEASE LET ME NO IF YOU WOULD LIKE A VISITOR  AND I ALSO HAVE A BEAUTIFUL NEICE  A YOUNG MUM LIKE YOURSELF SHE WOULD AS WELL. PLEASE PLEASE LET ME NO XXXXX YOU CAN ALSO TEXT OR PHONE MY NO IS 0412843640 WOULD LOVE TO HELP YOU OUT. I HELP RUN A GROUP IN ADELAIDE CALLED THE ADELAIDE BREAST CANCER FRIENDSHIP GROUP.... DO YOU LIVE FAR AWAY FROM PERTH I HAVE A BROTHER AND SISTERINLAW IN PORT HEADLAND XXXXXX JENNY

• tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options

Jenny, thank-you so much and ive put your mobile number into my phone, my brother also lives in Port Hedland with his wife and little boy.  Im south in Albany.... Feel so alone some times, cant wait for this surgery to be over and i can come home again.

x

• Mich x
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey Tan

I live in Perth!!!  I am more than happy to pick you up from your hotel Monday Morning and come with you to check in to hospital and be there for you when you wake up etc......

Which hospital are you going to?  Have you been told about PATS for transport and Crawford Lodge or Milroy Lodge for accomodation available for country people.

Please let me know if I can do this for you as I would be more than happy to do so.  I have spoken with hubby and he agrees it is a good idea.

If you would like me to be there for you then you  just have to say the word kiddo and I am there, okay.  Let me know and we can make arrangements.

I am not going to stand by and let you be alone if I can help.  You are welcome to even bunk down at our place but it would have to be on a fold up bed as my sister is staying with us currently.  A hotel sounds much more comfy and I like the idea of a good mag/book, choccies and chill out timebut if you not wanting to be alone there is always my place. The girls from BCNA can vouch for me.

I am here for you, let me know but no pressure as I will understand.

Lots of love always, Mich xoxoxoxo

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tania, I will come and see you in Perth. Which hospital will you be in? My implants are so much more comfortable than the expanders. It will be like taking off your high heels and putting on comfy slippers. Love Chris xx
  • tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi chris

You are gorgeous !

CAmbridge Private Hospital Monday, maybe just for the night

x

• tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options