First chemo

Options
Alfiepops16
Alfiepops16 Member Posts: 4
How to navigate through fatigue upset tummy sickness no appetite ??????

Comments

• Mareealso
    Mareealso Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi Alfiepops, Sorry to hear you are having these side effects, they are unfortunately, common with some people. I would be getting in contact with your oncology team regarding nausea as there is medication that can settle that-you may still feel squirmy but it is able to be managed. With the fatigue, you need to rest when that hits as there is no getting around it. I took on eating as a job I had to do (not necessarily enjoy though) and ate very small amounts but continuously through out the day and was able to maintain a satisfactory weight. Make sure you let your oncology team know all the side effects you are having and don’t wait to tell them so.. I kept a diary and was able to plan the not so good times and was provided medication for those times… Hope you improve!!
  • Alfiepops16
    Options
    Thank you for the reply 🥰
    I guess it’s a juggling act 
    I have all the drugs from my oncologist so hopefully I will feel up to eating something soon ❤️
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    Options
    Excellent tips from @Mareealso xx  Definitely take all the meds the Onc & Nurses tell you to - maybe you need to have a bigger dose BEFORE & after the chemo?  Ask them about that ... Nausea is one of the most common side effects, followed closely by fatigue.  Hubby used to put himself to bed about 2-3 days after his chemo ... for a couple of days.   Drinking heaps of water for a few days after the chemo can help it 'wash out' of your system quicker ... 

Eat 'what you like' when you can!   Don't worry about diets & 'good food' vs 'bad food' ... just eat whatever you can get down with plenty of water (even if chips or peanuts!)   As Mareealso says - lots of little meals ..... Hubby used to enjoy the KFC Chicken Wraps and their Berry Smoothie (I don't think they do it now) and after every chemo, that was often lunch the next day (or dinner if he preferred as well.)  If you have some favourite meals, see if someone can cook them up for you to freeze - so you can grab small ones when you fancy them xx

Take care - definitely keep a diary of everything that is going on.

Also, keep some gastrostop handy as well, in case you get a dose of the Trots .... I hope not.  
  • Alfiepops16
    Options
    Thanks for all the information 
    just trying to navigate as it changes daily 
    the trots were last nite 🙄
    I wld kill for a kfc 
    but it just wouldn’t go down rite now hopefully soon ❤️

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,593
    Options
    Get some gastrostop (your Onc should be able to give you a multiple script, at PBS price) and as SOON AS YOU HAVE ONE LOOSE MOTION - take a tablet!  Take one with each loose motion.  They stop it pretty quickly. xx

THEN you may be up to a KFC (grilled chicken in the wrap, not a fried one)xx.  You'll work out what does & doesn't work for you xx. I hope you get to try something you really enjoy xx
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Here is your order Madam

Best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW

• Alfiepops16
    Options
    if only i could eat it 🤣
  • Tri
    Tri Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Hi @Alfiepops16 so sorry you’re experiencing this. 
    My appetite took a hit too.
    I lived on bone broth and vegetable soup, 2 minute noodles with added ginger, stock and a small amount of veg and chicken. Was lucky to have kind friends who made chicken pie, quiche, steamed meat dumplings, and stewed apple with a bit of custard.
    Moist food was easier to manage, because I often had mouth ulcers and on one occasion, oral thrush. 
    I agree re gastrostop! 
    It was just great when my taste buds showed up again! 
    Fatigue: agree with the other comments - I had hydration in the week after my chemo dose. I think it helped me clear my head but I still found I also had to take an hour and more to rest each day. Eventually I joined an oncology physio program and it was great - really helped with my stamina. 
    I hope these suggestions might help and all goes well for your treatment. 
  • Coastiejas
    Coastiejas Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Hi @Alfiepops16
    I had some nausea with my first 4 rounds, couldn't stand certain foods (usually couldn't eat red meat for a week after each treatment) and had to just eat what I felt like... at one stage that was rock melon and zucchini together! I had a good tip from the pharmacist,  sometimes the nausea is in fact acid reflux which it was quite a bit for me. I  was given pantaprazole and that helped me a lot. Also you can see a dietician and the cancer council have a good publication on food issues and cancer treatment that has some good suggestions in it. I was also recommended to have the hospital formula sustagen (from the chemist not the supermarket one) in whatever flavour I could stomach for those days when you can barely eat anything to stop too much weight loss. 
    In terms of the fatigue although it seems counter-intuitive I was told exercise! I have found qigong helpful and look good feel better have some online sessions. 
    I hope that info helps and you feel better soon and it gets a bit easier!

• cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Oh the memories of that time come flooding back. As everyone has indicated what we can eat at the time is really trial and error.  I used heaps of mouth wash the one without alcohol. The taste in my mouth was annoying to say the least. Pity I didn’t find out about my reflux during treatment wasn’t till later and i got put on the meds l Hate to think how much worse the chemo would have been  without the anti nausea meds i was given. Also reading up all the comments on here and trying some till I found what worked for me.