Support

TillyBilly
TillyBilly Member Posts: 28
edited June 2020 in General discussion
Has anyone tried or found any local support groups? I was diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer July ‘19. With covid getting back to some normality went out the window, while finishing radio end of March. Even though I’ve had brilliant support just wondered if anyone found outside support helpful too. 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I didn’t try a support group - when facing unexpected side effects, I was offered a group or one on one. I felt one on one might be better for my queries and uncertainties and it was. If really depends on what you are looking for. I only went to consultations for a few months, every three weeks or so, but the insights and skills developed are still
    beneficial several years later. Getting the right counsellor is critical but my oncology nurse was pretty shrewd and made an excellent recommendation. Best wishes.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @TillyBilly I started my own. I spent all of my chemo treatment chatting to and laughing with those around me who were also having treatment. We had some very funny stories to tell as well as share our horror stories. Those who didn’t want to participate put their headset on to drown me out.  A breast buddy group was thus formed. Then I moved 😥 and miss my lovely friends. We still keep in touch and I was visiting them until covid hit. Two are high risk as they are metastatic and undergoing treatment. But we still support each other.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    BCNA is the only 'support group' I've been a part of, tho I personally know a heap of ladies who've had/got BC - and initially, they were my 'mentors'.  One put me onto BCNA & I've sort of used it as my 'diary'!

All the best with your ongoing treatment xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I've only done online support - a couple of facebook groups (1 local) which are more about information for me than anything else.  
    If you put your general location on your profile, other members may be able to recommend a group in your area.
  • TillyBilly
    TillyBilly Member Posts: 28
    Thank you, would be great to catch up with people locally x
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Hi TillyBilly
    Welcome to the club nobody wants to join.  There are two support groups in your area, I will pm you the details.
    Kind regards

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi TillyBilly, I run a support group in north west Sydney- 6 yrs now. We share info and friendship and often invite great guest speakers.New ladies who join us find it comforting to know they aren’t alone.It’s not for everyone and sometimes a new lady will come briefly while she needs support and then leave.
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Hi is there anybody on this forum that lives on the northern Gold coast, or knows of a support group here ??
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited August 2020

@ChezaH

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/comment/188862#Comment_188862

There's good contacts in the link  above thanks to @sandramj

Take care
    Stay safe 

• ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549

iserbrown said:

@ChezaH

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/comment/188862#Comment_188862

There's good contacts in the link  above thanks to @sandramj

Take care
    Stay safe 

Thank you for that, really appreciate your help, hope you are keeping well sending hugs xx