On Our Walks

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Hi @Sister, it is a large bush! Over 2 metres, proof of what happens when you leave things alone, which is my only safe gardening practice. My mother could grow anything, anywhere but I have inherited my father’s gardening ability which means I am OK cutting grass. Roses, being as tough as old boots, are usually safe and I have some small success with plants labelled ‘opportunistic grower’ (or weed), but anything else may simply be tortured to death. Two columbines are doing splendidly but they are the survivors of 18 planted!! 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Calling all walkers, I am spending the next few days in Brisbane where I'm attending my brother-in-law's (third!) wedding. I haven't been there for 31 years. What should I see/do/eat? Open for suggestions! Love a long walk and explore, an art gallery, and interesting shops. I'm catching up with @onemargie and @Flaneuse and looking forward to it.  :)
  • Afraser
    Phillip Bacon Galleries (Fortitude Valley) are still the go to place in the commercial scene. Queensland Art Gallery is overall good (apart from the silly water feature!). Roma Parkland and the Botanic Gardens are both central. 
  • kmakm
    @Afraser Thank you. I will check out all of those. My hotel is in between the CBD and Fortitude Valley so I am nicely positioned I think.
  • Afraser
    Fortitude Valley used to be the place for Chinese meals too! 
  • kmakm
    @iserbrown Wow!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    edited November 2019
    excellent! Love it when nature gives  a sign!
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    I think our Koala just got off track. The preferred food is Manna gum.  Between us and our neighbour Helen we have planted quite a few across the properties so hopefully he will find them and stay awhile. 
    Because of the extended dry north of here we are also seeing birds we wouldn't normally see here
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @iserbrown We have a lot of koalas around here and we've sometimes found them in pine trees, just hanging out.

@Annie C Have you ever read the picture book "Olga the Brolga" by Rod Clement?  One of my favourites when I used to do storytime.

@kmakm and @onemargie Are you out causing trouble?
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Sister

"Olga the Brolga" was a great favourite picture book read for Storytime on the Mat when I was teaching preschool. Along with "Where The Wild Things Are" and the "Hairy McLairy" books. 

Now that was a long long time ago. Brings back very nostalgic memories.

• Flaneuse
    Flaneuse Member Posts: 899
    @kmakm Soul Sisters indeed. It's been a special day. We hardly drew breath. And I adore encouraging people to shop !!!