Not doing so well tonight

Sazbe
Sazbe Member Posts: 19
edited March 2019 in Newly diagnosed
I had my breast reduction local wide excision  with 3 nodes removed yesterday.
My partner did not offer to come in, so he went to work and I did it on my own. I was a bit disappointed that he did not offer, but as he lost his wife to metastatic melanoma I do understand that this is confronting for him. He came in to visit last night, and brought me a coffee on his way to work this morning.

The breast care nurse came to see me yesterday, she was great, gave me lots of information, fitted me for a Berlie bra and said she would be in to day with some soft forms.

I woke up last night in recovery in a lot of pain, that they had a hard time controlling. And I'm in a reasonable amount of pain now. 

Surgeon came and saw me this morning. She has taken out about 250g including tumor and surrounding tissue. She also said the nodes felt quite firm. She said that can happen with reactive nodes, but I know she was preparing me in case it's not good news when I see her on Wednesday.

A different breast care nurse came to see me today, she asked me if I had any questions and I couldn't think of any. I was still feeling pretty groggy from waking every hour last night.

My partner has not come in to see me tonight, he has not called to see how I am. I'm in pain. One of my boobs is half the size of the other and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed.

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Dear oh dear! It will get better!  Huge trauma and adjustment for you and your partner.
    Take care of you and don't sweat the small stuff 
    Take care
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    @Sazbe. I feel badly for you. It’s such a terrible time physically and emotionally. Don’t start panicking until u get definitive results - u have to concentrate on looking after yourself now. I would be asking for more pain medication too if u are uncomfortable. Do u have a good friend that can come and visit?  Big hugs xoxox
  • Annski
    Annski Member Posts: 112
    @sazbe, I feel so sorry you are going through this, apparently alone - as others have said so wisely, first priority is to get your pain under control and next is to get someone as your supporter who you can rely on to be with you through the diagnosis/pathology/treatment phase. If your partner simply cannot do it, then he can't, but you do need another set of ears to help you take it in. If there is anything you need to know beyond what your immediate medical team tells you ask here, and if you need to let your feelings out, here is a good place for that as well. Where are you located? Most hospitals have social workers or counsellors attached, who could be helpful once this first phase is managed. Also your breast care nurse might be good to talk to as soon ss you feel up to it. Thinking of you and hoping you feel a bit better soon. Annski.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    What a wonderful post, @AllyJay  xxx    

@Sazbe  - I was very lucky in having a guardian angel who is 5 years clear of BC as my mentor - she lives in Qld, I am in NSW.   I was able to put all my fears & tears past her & she was able to calm me down & put me on a steady course - she is also a nurse.   I hope one of your buddies or a family member will step up to the plate in this caring role - as it is important to have someone who you can be totally truthful with from the start.

My husband has dementia and is supportive 'in his way' but is not always 'there' for me ..... I really feel for both you and your partner - I can only imagine the stress that he is going thru since your own diagnosis - which only compounds your own stress.

Where abouts are you (town/city) - some of our members may know of BC services available in your area.  Has your BC nurse given you a pillow/cushion for support of your arm?  Mine was invaluable.

Definitely keep up the pain killers on a regular basis for at least a week (whether you think you need them or not) as once the pain breaks thru the meds barrier - it takes even longer to control it again.

When you DO go home - be aware that every bump in the road may 'jar' your boob - and it may well hurt (I know mine did!)  I was grabbing my boob at every known bump in the road at my home town (and there are hundreds!)

As the others have said - be kind to yourself, make haste slowly - it will take time, but it will get better.

take care, thinking of you xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hey @Sazbe, how are you getting on? K xox
  • Sazbe
    Sazbe Member Posts: 19
    Firstly I wish to thank everyone for your very kind replies. Although I was not able to respond at the time, they were very comforting to me and just what I needed at the time so thank you.

@kmakm, I'm doing ok. I'm back in hospital so your timing is perfect!

I had 1 of 3 node positive so has an axillary clearance done yesterday.
    I did not get the pain properly controlled so let the anaesthetist know. He use more morphine which still didn't cut it so I ended up with a fentanyl PCA yesterday. It controlled the pain but made me feel horribly sedated, meant I needed to stay on oxygen, have calf compressors and IVT, which meant I was off to the bathroom every 5 minutes overnight. Oh and some vomiting, So I was thoroughly fed up with it by this morning and decided I preferred the pain! 

They have given me palexia which is working a treat now, no pain and feeling well.

I had a good talk with my partner the other night. I have been trying to protect him through all of this and realise that he can't support me if I'm not letting him know how this is affecting me. He was blissfully unaware of my fears going to see the Oncologist this week as I knew I would get my staging results (all clear).

So I start chemo on the 8th April followed by 6.5 weeks of whole breast and supra clavicular radiotherapy.

I have long hair half way down my back, so I'm planning on getting a pixie cut next week, and thinking about donating my hair.

In terms of supports my family is all in NZ. I only told my mum last week. She is going down the lets be positive about this, which is good but I feel like I can't really confide in her when I have my down moments. My best friend is going through her own stuff at the moment. Which is why I came here when I felt like I really wasn't coping. And I really appreciate the support.

@arpie yes I have the pillow it is great, my daughter calls it my handbag :) I am in Adelaide.

@SoldierCrab Thank you for your lovely reply. I think you were right about DP avoiding hospital to pretend that this is not happening. He is sucking that up and coming in now, he really is a wonderful man.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Take care, @Sazbe  ... make haste slowly - and all the best for your upcoming treatment xx

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I am glad that you have been able to talk to your husband @sazbe It's really important that you be able to express your anxieties with your support person.

Where are you going for chemo?  Before getting your hair cut, you may want to investigate whether you can access cold caps.  I went to Calvary North Adelaide and they do offer them.  I gave it a go and for me unfortunately, it didn't work well enough so I didn't continue - that was when I clipped my hair.  However, if you don't want to be bothered, there's going to be hair shaving around for blood cancers soon!  I believe they'll be using long lengths for wigs and short lengths for environmental clean up brushes.

Best wishes for your treatment.
  • Pinkcloverss
    Pinkcloverss Member Posts: 48
    @sazbe wishing u all the best in your upcoming chemo rounds. Im newlu diagnosed and due to start AC chemo in 2 weeks!