Hormone therapy only

Options
Artferret
Artferret Member Posts: 259
edited January 2019 in General discussion
Just curious...about how many of us here have gone straight from lumpectomy (or two like me) to hormone therapy,  no rads, no chemo. I was stage 1, grade 2 early stage breast cancer, no lymph node involvement. Admittedly i am part of a radiation trial (EXPERT) where i was placed randomly in the hormone therapy only group. I think if i had not been part of the trial i would have had radiation simply because is considered standard treatment. Was the decision to just have hormone therapy yours or recommended by your med team?

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Artferret
    At my original diagnosis appointment I was informed that radiation would be required. I psyched myself to that information. At the post surgery consultation (lumpectomy) the breast surgeon ( the witch from hell - no bedside manner at all ) said no radiation, but here take this letrazole. 

I refused the letrazole (had pre existing medical conditions that were not wise to aggrevate by taking letrazole). So that stuffed her trial. Good thing, I still have radiation in the gun cabinet for next time. 

Being a very crafty person I feared vision problems on  letrazole more than I feared a recurrence. 

Was not too fussed about the radiation not being used as I had clear margins and no node involvement. I was more annoyed (read ANGRY) about the treatment change after having resigned myself to being away from home for 5 weeks and cancelling a much looked forward to holiday to New Zealand. 

So to answer your question, treatment decisions were not mine but the medical team's. I had no input at all. Except for my refusal to take letrazole.

• Artferret
    Artferret Member Posts: 259
    Options
    Crikey @Annie C you would think that they could've let you know in time so your holiday wasn't cancelled. I know hospitals are large organizations but they sometimes forget they are dealing with people who are trying to get their life back together.
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @Artferret
    I think that my distress in being diagnosed with, and acceptance of, BC lay in the change of treatment especially when reading Cancer Australia guidelines for breast cancer treatment is  that radiation after a lumpectomy for a high grade breast tumour is the gold standard.

I felt ( and still do) that I did not receive the best of treatment. The breast surgeon was not the most approachable of surgeons.  

However I do have radiation to use should I have a recurrence and that is a blessing. 

As for the holiday, well unfortunately I needed to make a decision with the tour company regarding the final payment for the tour within 10 days of diagnosis. I had travel insurance and had no dramas claiming the cancellation. 

What would I do differently? Delay treatment until after a holiday, however at the time I followed faithfully the advice of the medicos.  Next time, they wait!

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,596
    Options
    I was offered that trial, @Artferret  ... but preferred to go down the ‘standard treatment’ road myself - surgery, rads, tabs (no chemo).

Having said that - I have 2 buddies in the UK and Zimbabwe who had their surgery, no chemo, no rads, no tablets - and they are still going strong 15+ years later!!
  • JulieVT11
    JulieVT11 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I a I am similar grade and stage but had to have mastectomy then straight on to tamoxifen.
  • CatRM
    CatRM Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hiya @Artferret
    I've just had a mastectomy 10 days ago and will go straight to hormone therapy without chemo or rads. Was stage 2 but they got it all with clear margins. Have an appt next week where I'll find out what that means though! Tamoxifen probably (or so I've been told by an older, wiser friend!). Will let you know how I go. Surgeon said chemo would only give me an extra 1% chance so it's not worth the horribleness. x
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    There's a booklet on Hormone therapy from BCNA. Do you have it? If not I will tag @Giovanna_BCNA
    for the link

Take care 
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Hello @CatRM see link with hormone therapy book suggested by @iserbrown.  All the best with your hormone therapy
    https://www.bcna.org.au/media/5850/hormone-therapy-and-breast-cancer-booklet-112017.pdf