On Our Walks

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @JJ70
    The people in the photo are  the Mowanjum Dance Group. The photo was taken out at Munkayjarra. If it is the Dutch photographer I am thinking of she was in town about a year ago for the Boab Festival. 

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Mjheke
    I think that poinciana trees in full bloom are the most regal of trees.  We have a dozen on our block of various heights and ages. I am still planting more. Your photo does justice to the tree. A most stunning photo.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Thanks @Mjheke and @arpie for the beautiful tree photos.  I love the hint of water and mountains behind the poinciana.
  • Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    Lovely photo @arpie, @jennyss the water is Morton Bay in Brisbane and the ‘Mountain’ is Stradbroke Island ☺️ We live close to the water-harbour beach, but I love the sea breeze, water view and sunshine ☀️ 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Gorgeous.  I used to have a pied male, he was stunning, brilliant blue and white, and two hens.  They are noisy buggers for sure.  His name was Thumper because he used to run accross the roof of the house.  The hens ran off to live in the bush but he stayed and took to terrorising on one of my Danes.  The only thing I ever saw that dog scared of. He'd sit on the roof calling all night to the girls. It is quite amazing when they fly.  
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited November 2018
    Their call is one of the soundtracks of India. Native to that country, they're everywhere. A friend of mine worked at the Australian embassy in Delhi. There are several that wander the extensive grounds there. My friend told me they're all called Andrew.  ;):D
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    They used to have some at the local caravan park/post office which is on a main Hills road.  A bit dicey at times when they went for a wander on the road.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    OMG, @kezmusc - that would have won Funniest Home Videos if it had been captured on video!  LOL

There is nothing wrong with Keith's eyesight tho!!!   Last month, he spotted a bird going into a bush on our driveway & sure enough, it was a birds nest with chicks, but sadly, Kurrawongs got the chicks!   :(  

See how dense this foliage is & how sturdy the nest?

Then yesterday, he said - they're at it again - they must have a new nest!!

Sure enough, same birds, I think, with a really flimsy nest in a very 'thin' bush that cops the full-on wind every day .....

Compare the one above with this one!    Hopefully these ones will survive to adulthood!