Get Connected Day!

Options

Comments

• tracey d
    tracey d Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone, i have been digonsosed with early BC in march 1020, i have been going through chemo every three weeks for the past three months, well all went great apart from the sickness that lasted for a good week.

well today the 6th of October i started a new chemo called paclitaxel, i thought i was going to be ok untill i had an allergic reaction, very scary but im ok, has anyone else had an reaction on this drug? They stopped the taxel and waited for half an hour than started to give it to me again, it started to make me feel sick again and they stopped it before it really got hold of me, so i didnt really have my treatment today. so im not sure if they are going to try it again next week but im very scared.

please help kind regards Tracey

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tracey

I had an allergic reaction to one of the chemo drugs too, but mine felt like a really heavy cold that came on really suddenly with tightening in the chest!!

Mine was stopped for one only then they used to put it through really really slow.  It used to take 6 hours for mine to go through.  There are so many options now days that your on oncologist will have plenty of alternatives.

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help

Tanya

• tracey d
    edited March 2015
    Options

it was nice to hear from you, my reaction to the chemo was really bad nausea than a tight feeling accross my chest like i couldnt breath than my lips went numb and my face and chest went very red, very scarey but i got through it....

i spoke to my oncologist nurse his morning and yes they are going to try it again next week, they said it more than likley it wont happen again but even so its very daunting.

thank you for your reply

kind regards Tracey

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry that your wife has been diagnosed.  You are probably still at the stage that everything is happening so fast, the surgeons seem like they are speaking a foreign language and you are both still in a little bit of shock??

Regarding your question, it is something that you will need to be guided by what Anna feels is right for her and also what info your surgeon has given you and why.

I had surgery first and then chemo.  I think a lot of times they do not know all the results until the tumour is removed.  Sometimes they need to check if it has spread to your lymph nodes etc during surgery. 

I also talk on one of the US forums and they seem to do chemo first to shrink the tumour then surgery.  I think this way not as much as the breast needs to be taken.  Breast conservation, however they seem to do it the other way round here (generally speaking).

Perhaps you should ask your surgeon why they would want to do chemo first?  Is it a large tumour?

At the end of the day the Decision is Anna's, but by coming here and asking questions and making an informed decision that give you the best outcome for a long and happy life together.

Regards

Tanya

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Just saw this post and I hope you now have some answers.

I do not have much info on Metaplastic carcinoma.  Is it mataplastic of the breast?  I had a friend that had metaplastic thyroid cancer.

I hope you are travelling well and have the answers regarding this kind of cancer.

xx

Tanya

• hazza
    hazza Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tanya,

Thankyou for your prompt response. From our understanding of the results, it shows a grade 2 invasive lobular carcinoma and by what we can gather it is of a decent size (unfortunatly). We are attending a clinic at Moorabbin on Tues to meet with the surgeons chemo therapists etc to gather more info and to decide the best method to get through this. Anna would rather have the surgery first followed by the chemo and I will  support her as best I can.

Anna has been booked in for surgery on 4th Nov to have her right breat removed also lymph nodes will be removed from the right side, its rather difficult to get ones head around all that has gone down over the past 2 weeks and to understand all the information. Not easy. Once again thanks for resonding and we do send all our best and hope all goes well for yourself and your family.

Regards  Haz

• nzadow
    nzadow Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Would love to chat with anyone re any side effects they've experienced after radiation.  I'm still feeling aches/twinges in that breast (which I am sure are normal) after finishing my radiation mid July. I was diagnosed in March, had surgery & 6 weeks radiation.

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Haz and Anna

Hopefully your visit to the clinic today gave you some of the answers that you need.  There is so much to take in in the beginning.  My husband came to all my appointments with me too because I would just not be able to take it all in.  I used to hear one word and the mind wandered and I didnt hear a single word the surgeon said.

I too had a large tumour with lymph node involvement, so it is a little scary at the start.  Chemo has had a bad wrap but there are so many improvements in that field and so many great medications to help with the side effects.  We all conjur up pictures in our head of old, sick, bald, people when we think chemo.  But in actual fact it is not as rough as I thought it would be.

Try not to think too far ahead at this stage.  Just concentrate on the surgery on the 4th and recovering from that.  Baby steps Anna and before you know it will be behind you.

Regards

Tanya

• tracey d
    edited March 2015
    Options

I had my second chemo on Paclitaxel.

after the first reaction they wanted to try again, well they did give me a calming tablet as well as some fernergon it sure did the job lol, i slept through the whole prosess, all i remember was them waking me up saying it was all finished so i guess it's going to be the same again this thursday.

Tanya i have 11 more treatments to go than a bit of time off than 6 weeks of raidotherapy.

Yes they are a wondful caring team.

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yah for you Tracey, I bet you feel assured now that you can have the best for you without the reaction.  I am so happy to hear that this one went better for you.

Every one you have is one behind you and you will be finished chemo before you know it.  For me the worst was the first .

Good luck with the rest.

Tanya

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yah for you Tracey, I bet you feel assured now that you can have the best for you without the reaction.  I am so happy to hear that this one went better for you.

Every one you have is one behind you and you will be finished chemo before you know it.  For me the worst was the first .

Good luck with the rest.

Tanya

• Suzf
    Suzf Member Posts: 44
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Nzadow,

I am almost finished my radiotherapy treatment and I certainly have pain and aches throughout the breast and twinges even during treatment especially to the nipple.  I have read that the aches / twinges will eventually settle down.   I am looking forward to that myself.  Suzf.

• nzadow
    nzadow Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Suzf,

It is of comfort knowing that what I am experiencing is perhaps 'normal'.  Good luck with your last few treatments.  It was real mixed emotions when I finished my treatment; relief, the next stage to begin, not seeing my therapists anymore!! Didn't think it would hit me like it did emotionally.  Take care, Necia.

• chicknlips
    chicknlips Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

I've resisted all BC groups/invites thus far since I've been diagnosed (08/10) and just have the occasional email to a breast nurse.

I'm looking forward to browsing the forum for info and maybe making a few online friends.

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi and welcome!  Just shout if  you need a hand finding your way around. :)