Get Connected Day!

Options

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Chicknlips

Hope you find browsing beneficial.  I get a load of info and support online that I wouldn't necessarily ask my doctor, surgeon.

Look forward  to seeing you here again.

Tanya

• maryn_
    maryn_ Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am not doing too well. I have been going through this on my own for 13months,so I thought joining an online group may help. I do have friends but they really dont understand so I have not spoken . They think Im a strong person but Im not.

regards Mary

• LeanneI
    LeanneI Member Posts: 56
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi - I was diagnosed in March/April this year and found this and another forum during the ensuing months. I then spent many hours browsing posts and replies.  The amount of knowledge, sharing, support, empathy and love was amazing - even just reading others posts.  Many times I have sat at my computer with tears streaming down my face - not always for me but for every other ladies journey!

I did become brave enough to post and ask a couple of questions and the replies came thick and fast.

The first post is always the hardest so you have taken the first leap - I have found that in these forums no question is ever dumb, no feelings are ever dismissed, permission to vent is always welcomed and collective ears have much wisdom. (the only thing we can't do is reach out and give a physical hug! :-)

I am happy to be added as a contact!

Bye

Leanne

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mary and welcome to the network. Feel free to jump in when you're ready and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.  If you haven't had a look at the 'help' page yet, then that's a good place to start. You can find it here: http://www.bcna.org.au/help.  --Di

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Mary

Sorry that you have been dealing with this on your own.  I found that even when I had great family support and wonderful friends, they still just did not "get it" and the only people that did "get it" were the women that had been on a similar journey to me.

Pull up a seat, grab a cuppa and tell us where you are in your journey and more importantly why you are struggling and I am guessing that we have all (or most of us) have been where you are.

Great that you have found us, and I only hope that you get something out of this friendship.

Take Care.

Tanya xx

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow Leanne

You have said it so well and summed up what these kind of forums/sites are all about.

Thankyou for your wonderful words.

Tanya

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hey you,

You are counting them down now girl.  And just wanted to say thanks for letting us know how you are getting on.

Nice profile pic by the way, you are looking great!!  I puffed up like a puffer fish from the steroids.  Hope you are feeling OK.

Tanya

• Christine_L
    Christine_L Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options

One feels twinges, pain and discomfort in the breast even without radiation. You have had surgery and your connective tissue has been scarred - it takes quite a while for things to settle down and even then - without proper exercises or treatment  - many women experience problems with their shoulders and arms. From my own experience, one's emotions exacerbates it even more, as we become anxious about any twinges/pain experienced.

• Merilla
    Merilla Member Posts: 22
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with Ductal carcinoma?? I was recommended to this site thankfully. I am going to see a surgeon tommorow so I am hoping things will look less cloudy then...feeling very overwhelmed, scared, unsure, nothing seems real at the moment. People keep telling me how strong I am but inside I feel terrified & not wanting to worry people with my real emotions.

Sorry to all I am not normally so dark..just so confused & sad at the moment but I know I wont stay in this place...thankfully, hopefully!

• Merilla
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with Ductal carcinoma?? I was recommended to this site thankfully. I am going to see a surgeon tommorow so I am hoping things will look less cloudy then...feeling very overwhelmed, scared, unsure, nothing seems real at the moment. People keep telling me how strong I am but inside I feel terrified & not wanting to worry people with my real emotions.

Sorry to all I am not normally so dark..just so confused & sad at the moment but I know I wont stay in this place...thankfully, hopefully!

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Merilla -- Welcome, I'm glad you found your way here!  If you need help using the network, or finding contacts, just shout.  :)

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Merilla

Welcome, but in saying that I also want to say sorry that you had to join us.  I too was diagnosed with Ductual Carcinoma about this time of year in 2007 and we all felt exactly as you do when you are told "you have cancer".  It is that disbelief, shock that this is happening to me and also the unanswered questions that you have in your head.

Dont apologise for being dark, we have all been there and thankfully most of us come out the other side stronger and better than before.  You have only had two days to get used to "it", so give yourself time and once you have a treatment plan things will become clearer.

It is good to ask us some questions that are on your mind, because as they say a problem shared is a problem halved..Are you having surgery?  No doubt your surgeon will shed a little more light on what is ahead.

Feel free to read my story and know that I have been where you are now and It is not nice, but you will get through it.  Someone on here said it before and I like it....Chin to the wind and we are all holding your hand for the next part of the journey. 

Let us know how you get on with the surgeon.

Talk soon.

Tanya xx

• Merilla
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much Tanya, I will let you know what the surgeon says and it really helps to hear your words of encouragement sooo much.

• Merilla
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thankyou Di, its good to know & much appreciated!

• Lorraine
    Lorraine Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Merilla

Welcome to the network, however having said that I am sorry that the diagnosis is the reason you are here.

Please do not apologise for being "dark" this is a very difficult time for you and you need to be able to openly express how you feel.  Feely overwhelmed, scared, and unsure and that nothing is real any more is a very normal response to a very difficult situation.  

You have only had 2 days to take in the enormity of the situation so be kind to your self as you go through the process.  

I was diagnosed  at this time of the year in 2000 I still  remember feeling scared and overwhelmed. I tried to be strong for my family and people remarked on my strength little did they know the inner turmoil I was experiencing.  A friend looked me in the eye and said "How do you really feel?"  I looked back and cried she held me while I just allowed all the feeling out.  The relief I felt was palpable.  I would encourage you to allow your feeling without placing a negative spin on them.

As you get more information and you have a treatment plan in place you will feel more in control and able to cope. Do not be afraid to ask questions.

If I can be of any assistance please contact me I am only too hally to be there for you.

Take care

Lorraine