Stormy days

Options
AliW
AliW Member Posts: 20
edited May 2014 in Social Groups

Hi everyone.  About 5 weeks ago my husband was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer.  We are still learning to accept that .. and today I've been diagnosed with breast cancer, a large tumour.  Needing to find the Rock under our feet.  Glad to find you all here.  Will listen to your stories, and pray with you.  Ali

Comments

• tannie53
    tannie53 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2015
    Options

So sorry to hear your story Ali but welcome to this site. I have gained so much comfort and reassurance from all the ladies on here. We are all in the same boat  called bc and we can offer each other the support and strength we need to get through this. I find just reading the stories of others so inspirational and it can give you that little bit extra to get through the next hump! Thank you for your prayers and wiil keep you in mine. Tannie xo

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am sorry to hear your story,and I hope that your faith can hold you through this.I am sure it can.Life is full of unknowns isn't it,and when strong is the only choice we have,we actually can do what is required of us!! This network of ladies is here 24 hours a day,and is not judgemental.Hopefully you have good family support,but even so,please stay on here and let us help you also.Sending you a big cyber hug.xoxRobyn
  • AliW
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you so much for your thoughts - I felt so calm today, almost happy.  I wonder if the fact of a diagnosis gives us something solid to deal with?  My husband had a biopsy  today, and I have CT scans tomorrow to see if there is cancer elsewhere.  Robyn you are so right - somehow we are strong when we need to be.  My husband really needs my support so in some ways I have to put any concern for myself to one side.  Thinking a lot about hope and knowing that no matter what we, as children of our Father God always have hope. xx

• AliW
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you so much for your thoughts - I felt so calm today, almost happy.  I wonder if the fact of a diagnosis gives us something solid to deal with?  My husband had a biopsy  today, and I have CT scans tomorrow to see if there is cancer elsewhere.  Robyn you are so right - somehow we are strong when we need to be.  My husband really needs my support so in some ways I have to put any concern for myself to one side.  Thinking a lot about hope and knowing that no matter what we, as children of our Father God always have hope. xx

• AliW
    edited March 2015
    Options

• Barbara brooks
    Barbara brooks Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi my name is Barbara. 7.5 years ago I was waiting in the intensive care waiting room to find out If my husband had made it through an amazing heart surgery which they thought he would not make.
    Received a phone call Advising me of the bad results from my mammagram.
    Somehow Geoff made it through but was still really critical Amy children were very worried so for 3 weeks kept this to myself. I took time away from Epworth to have the biopsy which without telling anyone and saw a breast surgeon soon after.
    Everything from there happened so quickly so as soon as Geoff was strong enough I sat with the family and told them what was happening.
    They were so angry I had not told them but to me was the best for them and I felt I needed this time just for me.
    I did go to breacan though so I did have their support.
    Now 7.5 years later all seems good for us. We are planning a cruise in November to celebrate the 8 years for us both.
    I still get very depressed thinking about it and I am about to have my annual screenings again but I am alive and each day wake up saying this.
    Stay strong my prayers are with you!!!!!
  • Barbara brooks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi my name is Barbara. 7.5 years ago I was waiting in the intensive care waiting room to find out If my husband had made it through an amazing heart surgery which they thought he would not make.
    Received a phone call Advising me of the bad results from my mammagram.
    Somehow Geoff made it through but was still really critical Amy children were very worried so for 3 weeks kept this to myself. I took time away from Epworth to have the biopsy which without telling anyone and saw a breast surgeon soon after.
    Everything from there happened so quickly so as soon as Geoff was strong enough I sat with the family and told them what was happening.
    They were so angry I had not told them but to me was the best for them and I felt I needed this time just for me.
    I did go to breacan though so I did have their support.
    Now 7.5 years later all seems good for us. We are planning a cruise in November to celebrate the 8 years for us both.
    I still get very depressed thinking about it and I am about to have my annual screenings again but I am alive and each day wake up saying this.
    Stay strong my prayers are with you!!!!!
  • AliW
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Barbara and Christine - your stories, your courage made me cry.  It is so encouraging to know you both had your husbands to worry about at the same time as your BC and that you got through it all. Thanks for your honesty and the rawness of the pain of your journeys really came through.  Christine I pray the relationship with your daughter will heal and be stronger than ever. x

I'm not sure how we will be there for each other, he and I, but I smiled last night as we compared experiences with our biopsy's!  We have always done everything together and if having cancer and maybe dying together is the outcome of all this then there is symetry in that.

This morning there is fog everywhere around our house as I get ready to go for a CT to see if the cancer is elsewhere in my body.  The fog is appropriate, we have no idea what God is doing here, any of us. 

But I read something a couple of weeks ago that I've clung to so will share it here.  It is from One Thousand Gifts (on facebook) and I've been deeply encouraged .

It reads:

Yeah, the week looks big and hard and a bit impossible. Jesus replied 'You don't understand now what I am doing but someday you will.' John 13:7  When it looks overwhelming, understand that He stands in the midst of doing something today that you'll understand someday.  When it's hard to understand His ways, stand on His promises.  When it's hard to trace His hand - trust His heart.  Trust: this week is unfolding in His hands, He's got you, He's got a plan, He understands you, upholds you and underneath everything are His everlasting arms.

Ali xx

• Barbara brooks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That was beautiful and something to cling onto.
    I know he will be with you both as you go through this journey together.
    There will be days when you feel life is not worth it but believe me it is.
    Wake each day say Goodmorning it's is a great day today we are alive.
    Keep doing your normal things as long as possible and try not to dwell on what you are going through.
    I had a great boss who changed my hours during the chemo because I was always tired for a couple of days following. He gave me theose days off and allowed me to work on the weekend.
    This kept me going.

God bless hope all goes well goday
  • Barbara brooks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Keep doing your normal things as long as possible and try not to dwell on what you are going through.
    I had a great boss who changed my hours during the chemo because I was always tired for a couple of days following. He gave me theose days off and allowed me to work on the weekend.
    This kept me going.

• Barbara brooks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This kept me going.

• Barbara brooks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This kept me going.

• Barbara brooks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This kept me going.

• KathD
    KathD Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi,  I am new to this site, but I just want to say thankyou for sharing your story.  I'm not the only one going through a horrible time.  I know God is with me, but that doesn't mean it isn't really hard.  I was diagnose on the 20/6/2014 with early breast cancer and while in hospital recovering from my mastectomy (which got infected), my father in law was diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 2 months to live.  Here I am trying to come to terms with the fact I have breast cancer and then someone I love starts dying before my eyes.  My husband my support system, now has to face the death of his beloved father all while I undergo my extensive treatment.  I wish no one had to go through this terrible disease, but it feels so nice to know that I am not the only one walking this road.  May God Bless You.

• saphire
    saphire Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi I have just been reading some of the stories of your journeys of bc and it bought tears to my eyes. I found my lump on 28th May this year only by the power of God did I find it, I was adjusting my breast in my sports bra and there it was I nearly died as only had a mamogram last August and it wasn't found it was certainly a whirl wind after that as after I was diagnosed my husband was taken in ambulance to the hospital as he couldn't move his left leg without there being pain so he was in hospital for nine days while I was going through all the initial stages of coming to terms what was happening to me.I was very fortunate to have a good friend afair bit older than me a Christan also and she had been free of bc for 8 years so she was my rock . I never had much patience so she told me God is teaching how to become patient with what you can't control. I had the operation the lump was taken and the lympnodes and they got it all but I then find out it was stage 3 and it was trying to get into my lympnodes so that was a bit of a shock.  My husband is having back surgery so it will be around the time I finish chemo and start radiation, so I just thank God that he showed me where to look and I didn't wait till next year when mammogram was due or I might not have survived, I believe he always has a reason we just don't know why at the time and our faith is there and we just need to keep praying for answers and they will come to us in the end.Blessings to everyone on this blog and thankyou for me being able to share with you all