Get connected day!

Options

Comments

• Ree
    Ree Member Posts: 27
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone....

Wow, last few days have been hectic! I went back to work for a few days - I work in the floral industry - and the lead up to Valentine's Day was amazing! Really exhausted but so thrilling. I never realised how much I miss working and how much it can help to bump up your spirits! Don't et me wrong, I love the fact that I can stay home with my boys but being out there working for a wage is enlivening!

Jacqi, glad to hear you went well through the op, waiting for the all clear is a hard part of it but I am positive they will have gotten all that they needed to. I'm thrilled you are taking time for yourself, we tend to forget once the ops are over, how much our bodies still need recuperation time. There are still days when I need to curl up in bed and do nothing more strenuous than read a book  :O)

Colb, what is a fuzzy brazillian? The only thing I know of that name is SO not what it is, I'm sure :OP   Can you maybe let me know what date the episode was on air and I can have a look and talk to my surgeon...thanks...  As for what to put on the other side, maybe look at a prosthesis? I know myself that my padding would slip around, even inside the bra pocket, or flatten out so it looked really weird. My youngest son took great delight in squashing it flat or into strange lumps while I was out carrying him and got a few funny looks from people until I realised what he was doing. When I got fitted in the hospital for the support bra, the consultant packed so much stuffing into the pocket, I looked like a junior Dolly Parton in a bad bra...LOL  I know I was a DD before the op but come on, what's wrong with a nice C cup? Anyone would think she was thinking with testoserone...

Tanya, according to my surgeon, she is confident that 2 weeks will see me back up and running at my level now, which is to say, I can run the house, drive and look after the kids. I hope she is right as my hubby has now run out of sick leave and his job doesn't come with annual leave - his roster gives us 4 weeks off every 6 weeks so we have scheduled the surgery for the beginnig of this break. But again, I'm lucky thathe has the FIFO roster that allows this. If we were still on 2 on 2 off, it would be a big struggle as we don't have any family near us or able to fly over and stay for a couple of weeks and no-one to help with the kids  :O(  But, here's to thinking positively...

I'm looking forward to having teardrops again  :OP  The square, slightly rounded look is hell to carry off in a bikini  hahaha

Ree xxx

• Ree
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone....

Wow, last few days have been hectic! I went back to work for a few days - I work in the floral industry - and the lead up to Valentine's Day was amazing! Really exhausted but so thrilling. I never realised how much I miss working and how much it can help to bump up your spirits! Don't et me wrong, I love the fact that I can stay home with my boys but being out there working for a wage is enlivening!

Jacqi, glad to hear you went well through the op, waiting for the all clear is a hard part of it but I am positive they will have gotten all that they needed to. I'm thrilled you are taking time for yourself, we tend to forget once the ops are over, how much our bodies still need recuperation time. There are still days when I need to curl up in bed and do nothing more strenuous than read a book  :O)

Colb, what is a fuzzy brazillian? The only thing I know of that name is SO not what it is, I'm sure :OP   Can you maybe let me know what date the episode was on air and I can have a look and talk to my surgeon...thanks...  As for what to put on the other side, maybe look at a prosthesis? I know myself that my padding would slip around, even inside the bra pocket, or flatten out so it looked really weird. My youngest son took great delight in squashing it flat or into strange lumps while I was out carrying him and got a few funny looks from people until I realised what he was doing. When I got fitted in the hospital for the support bra, the consultant packed so much stuffing into the pocket, I looked like a junior Dolly Parton in a bad bra...LOL  I know I was a DD before the op but come on, what's wrong with a nice C cup? Anyone would think she was thinking with testoserone...

Tanya, according to my surgeon, she is confident that 2 weeks will see me back up and running at my level now, which is to say, I can run the house, drive and look after the kids. I hope she is right as my hubby has now run out of sick leave and his job doesn't come with annual leave - his roster gives us 4 weeks off every 6 weeks so we have scheduled the surgery for the beginnig of this break. But again, I'm lucky thathe has the FIFO roster that allows this. If we were still on 2 on 2 off, it would be a big struggle as we don't have any family near us or able to fly over and stay for a couple of weeks and no-one to help with the kids  :O(  But, here's to thinking positively...

I'm looking forward to having teardrops again  :OP  The square, slightly rounded look is hell to carry off in a bikini  hahaha

Ree xxx

• Jacqueline
    Jacqueline Member Posts: 106
    edited March 2015
    Options

What is a fuzzy brazilian???? I am also only familiar with brazilian wax and I am sure that doesn't apply here, Yeah it is a real buggar having to give up my life long ambition to be a topless pole dancer ha!ha!ha! (just my weird sense of humour)

Jacqui

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

boobs and brazillians, you would think this an add for a strip joint not a breast cancer site.......lol love it and great that we can all laugh about it.

I am off to google fuzzy brazillians.  :0

• colb
    colb Member Posts: 17
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi girls you all made me laugh, I have posted a website so you can all check out the fuzzy or fury brazilian. I reckon they sound ok. I hope everyone is well, keep smiling   :-)

Col

www.breastimplantsaustralia.com/brazilian-breast-implants.doc

• colb
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi girls you all made me laugh, I have posted a website so you can all check out the fuzzy or fury brazilian. I reckon they sound ok. I hope everyone is well, keep smiling   :-)

Col

• colb
    edited March 2015
    Options

Col

• Ree
    edited March 2015
    Options

OMG, you guys had me in stitches....thank you

• Ree
    edited March 2015
    Options

OMG, you guys had me in stitches....thank you

• Ree
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jacqui

Damn those stubborn cells  :O( On the other side of the coin? If you have a bi-lateral mastectomy (both breasts), it takes chances of re-occurence down to less than 10%, according to my surgeon. And upside - perky new boobies that won't sag like your peers will  :OP

It's goingto be a tough time but one step at a time. Like Colb says, if it is too much at once, step back and look at the big picture and you will find your focus again.

As for the mastectomy and reconstruction, I had mine started in the same operation. I had a bilateral mastectomy. This meant that although she took everything (skin, breast tissue,nipple, areola) I didn't have a muscle flap taken from the back or abdominal area, she has used my chest muscle for the pocket. For this I was incredibly grateful as I had read ans since learnt from people going through thistype that is a much longer recuperation time and can be more painful/uncomfortable. First the surgeon placed tissue expanders in (then regular trips to get them inflated with saline to expand them and stretch the skin), the next step is permanent impants. After that (a couple of months for them to drop) she will do a nipple reconstruction with tattooing to follow.  My costs are zero as I have top level private health insurance (thank goddess for hubby's company throwing that into the renumeration package!) and between that and Medicare, I have no out-of-pocket expenses and that includes staying in a private hospital. So I don't know if that helps unless you have private health insurance, make sure you mention that and check your level of cover with the provider.

As for when, I think that is a combination of when you are ready for it and whether your surgeon advises that you could go ahead with it straight away or need to wait after radiotherapy.

I don't know if any of this helps but all my thoughts are with you and your family.

Hugs Ree xxx

• Jacqueline
    edited March 2015
    Options

We do not have private health cover so that puts me at a disadvantage I guess,my own fault of course for not having it , I am on a small property in the Inverell district and it so far seems that my closest McGrath Nurse will be Armidale. I understand that Tamworth where I have had to travell for previous surgery does not do reconstruction. Do you mind telling me where you had your surgery done as I may have to look around if I go for the recon at the same time. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions.

lol Jac

• Jacqueline
    edited March 2015
    Options

Pardon my ignorance but don't they make the reconstruction to be the same as the other boobie??? Was it your choice not to have the recon at the same time? I will have to ask the dr what are the chances of getting it in the other boobie as I am thinking after 3 op and facing this next one don't know that I can stand worrying if I will have to go through it all again down the track....boy oh boy! there is a lot to think about. What is the recovery time for a mastectomy before you were feeling well enough to maybe go back to work?

Thanks for your patience,

Jac

• Jacqueline
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Colb for yur story, I think I will do a lot of info gathering before making any decision. If I go for the bilateral it will put enormous pressure on my husband as there really is only the 2 of us, being out of towners. It is all so overwhelming at times.

Thanks again for your willingness to share.

Jacqui

• Ree
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It is overwhelming! But as we all said, take time out from thinking about it as well. Don't foret, you can always look for other opinions if you aren't happy with what you have been told by your medical team.
    I chose to have both taken as I didn't want more issues in the future (re-occurance of the cancer, more lumpectomies etc) - well, at least not as big a chance but a significant part of the decision was having matching boobies :O) Self image is so much a part of our egos and recovery has been easier - mentally - knowing that my results are going to be the same on both sides in the mirror. My surgery was done at St Andrews Private Hospital in Adelaide. It's about an hours drive from me but was worth it. The team there was fantastic, my surgeon Melissa Bochner is a treasure and the breast care nurses are amazing with the amount of support they offered!
    Col, I'm curious about the physio - I wsn't offered physio as part of my recovery, maybe that was because I was younger than most patients?
    It took me about a month to get back to the point where I could look after the kids and do basic household chores but some things are still difficult - pegging out washing is uncomfortable so I tend to use a step ladder so I don't have to reach up, as such. LOL Have had a few physical set backs with the ectra surgery to replace the faulty expander but was only down for a week after that one. According to my surgeon, I can expect about a week after the next op to get back up to speed.

Ree xxx
  • colb
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ree,

I think the Physio was just part of the care offered by the private hospital I went to. The breast care nurses came out a few times then the physio came about 2 or 3 times. I was 38 so don't think it was an age thing. The physio was fantastic she told me things no one else had and made me push myself that little bit harder to get full movement back which I have, my pilates instructor said I have 100% movement. The physio did make me stop using my little pillow thing given to me by the BC nurses she said I had to let my arm rest where it normally did. She was brilliant I am very grateful to her, and would recommend a physio consult.

Yah so glad it is Friday work is over, sitting here with my glass of bubbly one boob on ,one thrown on the bed  feeling lucky/ grateful my hubby still calls me sexy : - ) Life is good....

Have a fabulous weekend girls remember to take time out for you the house work will wait.