Early diagnosis

Options
Melanie Durdle
Melanie Durdle Member Posts: 23
edited July 2013 in Social Groups
Diagnosed on the 17th June 2013. Had my op on the 11 11th July 2013. Partial mastectomy and two nodes removed. Awaiting the results, very scared.

Comments

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, welcome is not the word you really want to hear, but the waiting is the worst it's amazing what goes through our over active minds. You can't do anything till you have your results , many of us have cleaned and cleaned and tried to keep busy when you get your results at least then you will have a plan and its amazing how once you seem to have that you just want to ran at it full on. Don't forget to ask as many questions as ou can , write down things you want to ask and take someone with you it's amazing what doesn't sink in or you don't remember. And blog on here, the wealth of support on the BCNA sight is amazing. And it's ok to scream and cry, I had many rants and raves, all the best regards adean. Hope to see you blog again
  • Melanie Durdle
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have had many emotions. I think the thing that has amazed me the most is people's reactions. Some good, some bad. I feel as though I am in a dream, it's not happening. Will I wake up and it be a bad dream. I think I have the cleanest house in Melbourne. Haha

• annie58
    annie58 Member Posts: 108
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Melanie,

Adean has said it all for me. Waiting is worst, soon you will know and then you will have a plan to stick with. Please take someone with you, my husband did all the remembering while I was in a daze. I agree that its like your in a dream, more a nightmare actually.

Please let us know how you get on. We are here to help and support you along this trip. Pink ladies are very special.

Annie

• Melanie Durdle
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you, I am just overwhelmed with everything. You feel as though you are going on a trip with no end. I wasn't supposed to get cancer. Why me I have no family history, no risks factors. But then why not me. It has been so hard to understand. My husband is coming with me. I just feel I am  being pushed along, and I want to get off. 

Mel

• Melanie Durdle
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you, I am just overwhelmed with everything. You feel as though you are going on a trip with no end. I wasn't supposed to get cancer. Why me I have no family history, no risks factors. But then why not me. It has been so hard to understand. My husband is coming with me. I just feel I am  being pushed along, and I want to get off. 

Mel

• Melanie Durdle
    edited March 2015
    Options

Mel

• adean
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't forget to let us know how you get on. Regards adean
  • adean
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So glad to hear you've had your surgery and you must have got clear margins, hope your feeling a little relieved. Time to get ready or the next step, at least you will have your plan, I felt more in control when I knew what the course would be. Hope your not having to much pain. Regards adean
  • adean
    edited March 2015
    Options
    So glad to hear you've had your surgery and you must have got clear margins, hope your feeling a little relieved. Time to get ready or the next step, at least you will have your plan, I felt more in control when I knew what the course would be. Hope your not having to much pain. Regards adean
  • Melanie Durdle
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have finished my radiation treatment. Can any body tell me what Tamoxifen medication is like and side effects. I have to start taking them next week. Thank you. 

• adean
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been on tamoxifen for almost one year, each person I've spoken to varies, some no side effects some so huge they go of it, so it depends completely on the individual, my symptoms include night sweats, aching legs, cramps in the feet and of recently a general stiffness all over, I consider these not to bad . Start the meds and just take it day by day we are all different , but are all trying to achieve the one thing and that's for the cancer not to re accur. Regards adean
  • adean
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been on tamoxifen for almost one year, each person I've spoken to varies, some no side effects some so huge they go of it, so it depends completely on the individual, my symptoms include night sweats, aching legs, cramps in the feet and of recently a general stiffness all over, I consider these not to bad . Start the meds and just take it day by day we are all different , but are all trying to achieve the one thing and that's for the cancer not to re accur. Regards adean
  • Melanie Durdle
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank  you, I am reading information on it. Nice to hear what people are going through. 

melanie 

• tannie53
    tannie53 Member Posts: 99
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with BC on 14 November, had a mastectomy on 18 December.  I have clear margins on my chest wall (grade 2  tumour) but the results say I have it in my sentinal node so apparently that means more surgery and then chemo! I have a copy of the report and I thinkit says I am positive for hormone receptors. Has anyone had a similiar experience? It is a bit frustrating that it is holiday time because I have to wait until the drs come back from their holidays.

Thanks 

Tanya

• Rochelle
    Rochelle Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi tanya
    I have just gone through virtually the same journey as you in the past few weeks. First op 5th dec lumpectomy and 2 nodes removed. My sentinal nodes came back cancerous and I had what is called an anxillary node clearance. Becuase this is the way the cancer can travel thoughout your body they remove the whole system to reduce the likelihood of of spreading. I am now starting chemo in 2 weeks followed by radiation. This combination of treatment will greatly improve your long term chances of sucess. I too found the waiting more anxious than the actual results and treatment advice.
    I think talking to the breast cancer nurse was the best thing for us and doing it with someone else if u can. All the best look forward to hearing your success and / or sharing your struggles. Stay positive.
    Rochelle.