Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Hot spa's and stage 4 breast cancer?

Ktre
Ktre Member Posts: 106
Hi ladies, I am about to head down to warrnambool with my breast cancer support group for long weekend retreat. We are visiting hot spa's on Sunday and my question is can I go into hot spa? I don't have lymphoedema, did have auxiliary clearance on right arm. 
Have tried to call breast Care nurse and left message, just seeing if anyone on here might know.

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    edited September 12
    Hi @Ktre

Woohoo - that sounds like a fun weekend!    I hope you hear back from your BC Nurse - or you may be able to ask your GP, if they don't get back to you?  Hopefully, just a phone call, not a visit .... 

Do you have any 'open wounds' or active skin conditions anywhere on your body (eczema etc)?  If 'yes' - I personally would not go into any spa, as the temperature is usually not 'high enough' to kill off any bugs that may be in the water. 

I would also make sure you don't put your head in the water at all, so none of the water can get into your eyes, ears, nose or mouth ... just as a safety precaution (if you decide to go ahead) once again to prevent getting any 'bug'.  ( I lived in NZ for some years & always lived by this 'rule' when going to Rotorua - even tho it was 2 decades before my own BC diagnosis.)

Some info from the UK
    https://www.spaseekers.com/spa-insider/faqs/retreat-spa-visits-for-those-living-with-cancer/

I hope you get the all clear & can go with your buddies & enjoy the hot spa together xx

take care
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,469
    @Ktre I did this and it was great. Agree with @arpie, stay out of the water if you have any open wounds. Other than that, my Onco gave me the go ahead for this.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 8,056
    WONDERFUL @Ktre- Spas are SO much fun!   Enjoy your weekend with your buddies xx.