After 13 years and 2 diagnoses today the biggest celebration yet...

melclarity
melclarity Member Posts: 3,524
edited May 23 in General discussion
After 13 years and 2 diagnoses today my Oncologist gave me a discharge. A day I NEVER believed would come or would be possible. 

To anyone who is at the beginning, don't let go of hope that you will get through this. It's definitely not lost on me the many that don't make it this far. So I feel humbled and incredibly reflective of the 13 years that have brought me to this day and to my new normal of who I have become.

In 2011 I was diagnosed with ER+ left breast cancer, underwent biopsies, surgery, radiation and tamoxifen. Until 2015 at my yearly checkup the unthinkable, impossible happened, I had a recurrence in the same spot in spite of all the treatment. My world shattered for a 2nd time, another surgery and chemo which was no picnic but I look back and think wow kid...you did that! it was damn hard and you were so sick, but you made it out the other side, put on Arimidex and switched to Aromasin. 1 year on 2017 I was recommended to follow with a mastectomy, so I had a single done and diep flap reconstruction, massive op and difficult. So 6 monthly visits to the Surgeon and Oncologist since 2015. 

I gave the AI's away about 2 years ago, I had been taking them for 10 years. Thrust into menopause during Chemo, so that was hard to contend with. 6 months with an Exercise Physiologist to help me. Prolia injections 6th monthly for 8 years and today is the day the Oncologist gave me wings to fly...a feeling I've not known throughout the whole ordeal. A closure to this chapter and a possibility of moving forward with my new normal.

I managed to get back to work in 2017 and haven't stopped. I work full time in Education particularly in behaviour management and my biggest passion was to publish a book of Poetry which I did recently. Something I may never have done if not from walking this path. I feel more connected to me than I ever was.

So today I celebrate just for now I will sit with no thought of what tomorrow might bring.

Live a great life everyone, and trust that you are brave enough and strong enough to get through it. 

PS: This is a link to my first book https://amzn.asia/d/i1vI8JN for anyone who is curious. 

Hugs xo

Melinda

Comments

• GorgyS
    GorgyS Member Posts: 108
    You are such an inspiration, Melinda. Congratulations, and as you said, live a great life. I wish you all the best. Thank you for all your support through the online network. I read most of your encouraging and supportive posts.  <3 
  • melclarity
    @GorgyS thanks so much, none of this is easy for anyone here. I just know when I was in the grips of it all, I never thought it would end and I didn't know what was ahead. So HOPE is something I really wish for everyone to never let that go and faith in yourself to do the best you can. That you are ENOUGH! xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,652
    So proud  of where you are at and how brave you were to share all @melclarity

Wishing you every success xoxo

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,938
    Congratulations & well done YOU, @melclarity!  What an awesome achievement!!  Just what we all want to hear xx

Live life, ENJOY xx

• melclarity
    @iserbrown awwwww that's beautiful thank you so much. I hope you are doing well? it's been a long time. xo
  • melclarity
    @Arpie Hello! yes some good news it is what we all need! Hope you are well? xx
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,213
    Go @melclarity
    That’s great news 👏👏👏🎉🎉🎉🍾🍾🍾
    I still remember how your posts in the Breast Reconstruction Group  helped me when I was considering my DIEP flap surgery .
    celebrate appropriately !
  • melclarity
    @Julez1958 oh goodness yes :) thank you and I will lol. Hope you're doing well xxx 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 962
    @melclarity congratulations that is awesome.   
  • melclarity
    @locksley thanks so much 🙏 
  • krystel
    krystel Member Posts: 4
    @melclarity what a celebration. You are such an inspiration. Thankyou for sharing your journey with us all. I'm new and haven't posted much, but definitely have read a lot of threads.   What you have shared has really helped. Just wanted to say a big Thankyou. 
    Well done on the book too. 

• melclarity
    @Krystel thank you so much I'm so glad that in someway I helped. I hope you are doing well. Message me anytime if I can help in anyway. Hugs xo 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 2,046
    edited May 22
    Dear @melclarity,
    I am so happy for you. Thank you for your encouraging story.
    Congratulation; and love and best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • melclarity
    @jennyss thank you so much! I'm still in and out of the Forum. I really hope my story can help someone who may be struggling right now. hugs xo
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,399
    Congratulations 🎊