Get it out now or wait and think?

Options
2»

Comments

• Sliv
    Sliv Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks @MrsMorrisey, I'm going through private system and chose my surgeon after she came highly recommended. But now I'm having doubts.
    My cancer is hormone positive her2 negative. I have very high percentage of oestrogen and progesterone but low Ki67 at 15% (whatever that means) the tumor is 15 x 18 x 17 invasive DCIS.
    I wish I hadn't been given the option because I just want someone to tell me what to do. 
    Argh, this decision makes an awful situation even worse.
    Ta
    Sliv 
  • MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    Yep. You need to call her on Monday and make another appointment. 
    Sounds similar to mine but mine wasn’t as big on the US but obviously they can’t tell until it’s out. 
    Apparently my KI67 is high but she told me not to think about that because it’s still a controversial test and not everyone gets that test done. 
    So I stopped thinking about it. 
    I did get myself in a lather because I’d read higher Ki means chemo but she said not necessarily. 
    I listen to her not google. And frankly I’m sick of worrying about it now. It’s too exhausting. 
    Def call her Mon xxx
  • MrsMorrisey
    MrsMorrisey Member Posts: 78
    Options
    How’d you go @Sliv?
  • Sliv
    Options
    Thanks for checking in @MrsMorrisey.
    After lots of chasing my surgeon for some answers and being made to feel like I was hysterical and annoying, I have an appointment in a few days so I can FINALLY ask my questions. I've made an appointment with another surgeon for the following week. I know it stretches out the process but I have just wasted a week and a half with with no action or answers so I'll see if I get a better feel with the second surgeon. I know I won't get different options, I'm just needing some guidance. 
    At this stage, purely from my own research and speaking to people who have recently gone through it, I'm leaning toward double mastectomy.  The only thing I have been sure of in this decision is that when this is all over, other than the cancer to be gone,  I'd like both breasts to look and feel the same.
    Ta
    Sliv
  • Sliv
    Options
    I hope you continue to recover quickly @PrisMay1 and thank you again for sharing. 
    I have joined the reconstruction group and been accepted but I don't know how to access the group. I actually thought I'd left this message within that group.
    Any ideas how I access it?
    Ta
    Sliv
  • PrisMay1
    PrisMay1 Member Posts: 68
    Options
    @sliv go to the Groups tab, click on Choosing Reconstruction and log in again using the same user name and password. You should get a link once you’re approved to join the group. 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    @Sliv - I sent you a private message.  Look at the top right of the screen and you will see an envelope next to your profile picture.
  • AuntyK
    AuntyK Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Sliv said:

Another question if you don't mind, does anyone know at what point they do a scan to see if it has spread?  
    I've had an MRI with contrast is that a they need? What if I have to wait a month to get this lump out and then they do PET scan oy to find out its spread? Or would they already know?
    Ta
    Sliv

With regards to seeing if its spread, for me (and I think this is standard?) they remove a lymph node or 2 to check this, instead of doing further scans. I've been told my next routine scan will be12 months since I was diagnosed. Now that does seem like a long wait.

Regarding the wait for an appointment. ER+PR+ HER2- here. I went to my appointment expecting to be offered a lumpectomy & radiation, only to be offered a double mastectomy and told by the surgeon' you know in your heart what you should do' we thought, umm, we have no idea what we should do with that suddenly being sprung on us.
    So instead of booking in the lumpectomy at that appointment, we left to consider and weigh up both options.
    We got a second opinion, talked to some people and proceeded to opt for the normal procedure for my diagnosis, being lumpectomy + radiation.
    However, having that option thrown in to the mix and having to go away and think about it meant my surgery didn't take place until 2 months after diagnosis (public system).
    I felt quite anxious at the time, just wanting it done worrying if it would grow. Which it didn't - it actually shrunk (or was mis-measured) by a third.
    Having gone through this a big lesson for me is, in hindsight I am actually SO glad I had time to take it in, research, investigate options, and learn about treatment, and side effects.
    Having that time was actually a blessing, it's very easy especially in private to be offered extreme options, possibly under pressure, with decisions made in fear while you're still in shock and find yourself having surgery just days later. Just my perspective from my experience.

If it was a more aggressive type of cancer, you would probably have been given that first appointment without a choice. 

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.