User Profile
Sliv
Member
Joined 2 years ago
User Widgets
Contributions
Re: Get it out now or wait and think?
I hope you continue to recover quickly @PrisMay1 and thank you again for sharing. I have joined the reconstruction group and been accepted but I don't know how to access the group. I actually thought I'd left this message within that group. Any ideas how I access it? Ta Sliv15Views0likes0CommentsRe: Get it out now or wait and think?
Thanks for checking in @MrsMorrisey. After lots of chasing my surgeon for some answers and being made to feel like I was hysterical and annoying, I have an appointment in a few days so I can FINALLY ask my questions. I've made an appointment with another surgeon for the following week. I know it stretches out the process but I have just wasted a week and a half with with no action or answers so I'll see if I get a better feel with the second surgeon. I know I won't get different options, I'm just needing some guidance. At this stage, purely from my own research and speaking to people who have recently gone through it, I'm leaning toward double mastectomy. The only thing I have been sure of in this decision is that when this is all over, other than the cancer to be gone, I'd like both breasts to look and feel the same. Ta Sliv9Views0likes0CommentsRe: Get it out now or wait and think?
Thanks @MrsMorrisey, I'm going through private system and chose my surgeon after she came highly recommended. But now I'm having doubts. My cancer is hormone positive her2 negative. I have very high percentage of oestrogen and progesterone but low Ki67 at 15% (whatever that means) the tumor is 15 x 18 x 17 invasive DCIS. I wish I hadn't been given the option because I just want someone to tell me what to do. Argh, this decision makes an awful situation even worse. Ta Sliv13Views0likes0CommentsRe: Get it out now or wait and think?
Thanks everyone. Your advice has definitely helped and made me see I just need to not care about being pushy and ask more questions. I just thought that there would be a little more hand holding from breadt care nurse. Another question if you don't mind, does anyone know at what point they do a acan to see if it has spread? I've had an MRI with contrast is that a they need? What if I have to wait a month to get this lump out and then they do PET scan oy to find out its spread? Or would they already know? Ta Sliv10Views0likes0CommentsRe: Get it out now or wait and think?
Thank you for all you advice and thanks for sharing your stories. May I ask if you were offered a mastectomy or lumpectomy followed by radiation at what point did you make that decision and then was the surgery explained to you and recurrence rates etc? I feel like I have to make this choice first with limited information and if I dont hurry and make a decision I miss my chance at the first surgery that was offered then have to wait. I'm going through private system but feel it might have been quicker or vreadt care nurses more accessible in the public system. My surgeon has a breadt care nurse but she works part time. Is this normal? Thanks Sliv11Views0likes0CommentsGet it out now or wait and think?
Hi, I'm newly diagnosed hormone positive her2 negative. I had my first appointment with my surgeon and was told my diagnosis a week ago. I was told to consider lumpectomy with radiation or mastectomy. I then was sent for contrast MRI and told the next day they had not received full MRI report but looks as expected so now they were ready to lock in the surgery. I have a million question and am particularly concerned about recurrence so was hoping for more guidance from my surgeon regarding my decision on the type of surgery may be best for now and possible lowering risk of recurrence (so I can limit the dread of going through this again) I still haven't been able to speak to the surgeon and have been given surgery dates to choose from without a plan or even knowing which surgery I will be having. One date is in a few days and the other over a month away. I'd love to hear how people have dealt with making decisions between surgery options whilst dealing with either the pressure to get it out as quickly as possible but perhaps not having time to think through the surgically best option compared to dealing with the long wait and constantly changing your mind while you're waiting, reading more info to educate yourself but also terrifying yourself. Thanks Sliv1.1KViews0likes23CommentsRe: The “journey” begins.
@MrsMorrisey, Thank you for sharing your story. I am having a very similar experience and sounds like I'm a few days or so behind you. I found my lump in the week between Christmas and New Year whilst away on holidays and nothing was open. I fumbled my way through making appointments all while trying to not up end the family holiday. ( I have 3 primary school aged kids who I was trying not to worry) I was diagnosed with hormone positive Her2 neg just yesterday. I've got an MRI next week and then I suppose I'll have some decisions to make. I hope all goes well for you next week. Take care Elle7Views0likes0Comments
Groups
Choosing breast reconstruction
PRIVATE GROUP. Choosing breast reconstruction after single or double mastectomy can feel overwhelming, and deeply personal. This group is here to connect you through others' stories and images. Please respect everyone’s privacy—do not copy or share content outside this space. Information is based on personal experience and is not medical advice; always consult your healthcare team for guidance. ⚠️CONTENT WARNING⚠️ Members may share photos of breast surgeries. These images or discussions may be distressing or triggering for some. If you need support, please contact the BCNA Helpline - we are here for you.