Depression suicide ideation

Options
ADS
ADS Member Posts: 2
Hello, I have had a rough time with agitated depression/anxiety and continue with suicide ideation since being diagnosed with BC in March 23, unilateral mastectomy, recon, infection and chemo, hormone treatment to come. I have a psychiatrist, psychologist and am on medication, I am a mother of two young boys with no depression history. I feel like I am living someone else’s life, so strange. Has anyone else struggled in this way and made it through? Thank you 
Tagged:

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Hi @ADS, I am so sorry you are struggling like this. It is good that you have medical help with the psychologist and the psychiatrist.  Keeping ypur medical team including your gp and oncologist is important.

There are so many people who struggle with depression after being diagnosed with breast cancer. It happens after receiving a life threatening diagnosis and having treatment. When the body goes into fight mode lots of adrenalin is pumped out and this helps us get through all the surgery and treatment. However all the adrenalin there is a ley down in that adrenalin and hence being susceptible to depression and anxiety. It is far more common than you think.

Re suicidal ideation however is not a good place to be. I am sure you have discussed this with your doctors. Do you have strategies to help retrain the brain to reduce/stop these thoughts? What works best for you in distracting these thoughts? 

Some years ago my son went through a terrible depression and had suicidal ideation. He stayed on his meds, got counselling and did get through that terrible time. It was at this time of year too, which can bring up many emotions so extra care is needed at Christmas time.  My son involved himself in his garden to help channel is thoughts into something positive.

Do you have hobbies or interests that you enjoy? These help. What about exercise? Are you getting some walks in? It must be hard with young children. How old are they?  What about family and friends, do you have support there?

You can do this. You have reached out to your medical people and you have us here to talk to so that's positive. You are nor alone and you have so much to live for with your family who no doubt love you so much.

Keep going. Always reach out to your medical team and don't forget the helplines if those thoughts get too much.  Let us know how you are going. Sending a big virtual hug to you.

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    @ADS - I have sent you a private message.
    Look to the top right of the screen where you log out and you will see the envelope.
  • ADS
    ADS Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you @Cath62 I appreciate your message, I am glad to hear your son is doing well after having a dark period, it gives me hope that things will change for me too. BC + a mental health breakdown has been so scary, I have gone back to yoga and swimming, they help a little, I wish desperately to feel like myself again. My kids are 5 and 8, these relationships are going to need extra care too. I am hoping with time I will get better.