chemo about to start docetaxel and cyclophosphamide

Options
greyhound
greyhound Member Posts: 13
Hi ladies,
Ive just been told I will be starting chemo in the next week or two.
I am so nervous about the side effects and hoping the treatment works well.
I have 2 small tumours approx 9mm each in close proximity to each other.
the doctors tossed up if neoadjuvent chemo would be best or lumpectomy would be best and the team have decided neoadjuvent would be best.
Ill be having dexamethasone a day before but I'm hoping they will also give something to relax me before the infusion starts because I know Ill be super anxious
Ill be having 4 cycles initially, then they will check scans etc to see if the cancer is shrinking.
By the time the 4 cycles are finished the genetic testing results will be back and a decision can then be made about surgery.
Then possibly more chemo?
Any advice or information is welcomed:)

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Hi @greyhound,

My advice to you is to take one day at a time. I was nervous too snd it's normal to feel that way. Some people don't get too many side effects.

I lost my hair. I shaved my head before it fell out because I had alot of hair. Glad I did. Some use a cold cap to prevent the hair loss. 

I never got sick. I had antinausea tablets if I needed them. I ate well and walked nearly every day. 

I was kind to myself too and slept if I needed to and I just stopped doing things for anyone. I just took care of myself. 

We are all different and just do what works for you. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,374
    Options
    Hard as it is, try to approach chemo with an open mind. Reactions vary widely. Like @Cath62, I was never sick and worked through treatment. If the chemo does make you unwell, make sure you ask for help
    to reduce the side effects. Count down the treatments, each one is one nearer the end. Exercise helps your body and your mind. Best wishes. 
  • Christabel03
    Christabel03 Member Posts: 80
    Options
    Hi @greyhound
    I think anxiety is perfectly normal when you start your chemo journey. My first round was early November last year and I was super anxious and I cried nearly the whole way there and the whole time I was at the hospital. I found that being that upset and distressed did not help me at all. As silly as it may sound at the moment, the calmer you can go in, the better it will be (as far as better in a sh*tty situation can be!!)
    Everyone else has given you super advice, take whatever medication they suggest to help you through, listen to your body as only you know it best. This time really needs to be about you and only you and what is best for you to get through. 
    As Afraser also suggested counting down the treatments is good, each one certainly means you are closer to the end and if you go from double figures to single its something worth celebrating (for me it was anyway!)
    Wishing you all the best xx
  • greyhound
    greyhound Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thankyou all for your advice.
    I had a call this morning to say there is a spot tomorrow to start chemo.
    I wasn't quite ready for that soon but better to get it started.
    Ive been teary since knowing that this is real and its not going a way
    I had a wedding to to on Friday and a family celebration saturday which I was looking forward to.
    Oh well health has got to be the priority.
    Hopefully I can go in tomorrow with a positive mindset....."I'm gunna kick this bitches arse to the curb".
    Thankyou.xx
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    You already sound positive that you are going to kick it to the curb!  The chemo will do its bit and you do your bit.  You go girl!  All the best for tomorrow.