Financial Distress

Options
2»

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Well done, @Suzie82 ..... I was bawling my eyes out as I left my husband, brother & sister in law at the 'door' to go to the ward ...... just sobbing & couldn't stop.  I am SO glad that the surgeon came & chatted with you and reinforced the reasons for having the surgery - and WELL DONE YOU!!  You faced the demon & won! xx

Terrific that you are feeling really good & not in pain.   All the best for your appt on Friday & I hope you get the all clear with your pathology.  You'll have your total game plan after meeting with your Onc & Rad Onc .... all the best for that too. xx

Take care and be kind to yourself as you heal.

• Ange6741
    Ange6741 Member Posts: 2 New Member
    Options
    Being diagnosed with breast cancer but heavy pressure financially. I ended up finishing my job. It hard living on $519 a fortnight Jobseeker’s Allowance .I do get some help from WACancer . Cancer is evil 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    @Ange6741 I agree with cancer is awful, but what is also awful is that whilst we are sick and cannot work that our government puts us on Jobseeker allowance despite having doctors certificates stating we are sick and not able to work.  I don't think many people realize just how unjust our social security system can be to those sick and/or disabled.  I struggled also on government assistance for a while, there is no mercy with our government, there used to be a thing called widows allowance for those single/widowed women without a wage earner in the household.  We have gone backwards looking after our women, and many are the carers of their parents also.  Rant over!  

A society is judged by how it treats its most vulnerable!  Sorry you are going through this.  Best wishes for better times in the near future. xx
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Dear @Suzie82,

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Thanks @iserbrown for the putting the link to the fact sheet on financial and practical assistance :)
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    I am so sorry to see you here, in the club that no-one wants to join .... I hope, that when/if you are able, that you can get another job - hopefully a better one xx

yep, I reckon we'd all agree that Cancer is truly evil.  :( 

Can you chat with your Onc Nurses & ask to see the Hospital Social Worker?   They often have access to various local philanthropic groups who donate funds to assist those doing it tough.  My husband is going thru chemo just now & they took care of our Rates Bill ($500) which was hugely appreciated.  

If you are over 65, you can join & be assessed by MyAgedCare re assistance in the house & funding towards purchasing stuff that is needed for your care & comfort - but I am guessing you may be younger than that ... 

Take care xx