Home Now what? The highs and lows of survivorship



Financial Distress

feeling depressed, Trying to access super under compassionate grounds and got rejected, Can't work, can't get the dsp been knocked back as not stable bills are getting bigger and bigger and home loan in jeopardy. Have been told the only way to do this is to let the house go into foreclosure stage then they will pay the loan. Yet during covid they allowed everyone no clauses to access their super and not taxed. Has anyone got any suggestions
can't even get income protection as have no job
oh and mortgage insurance won't cover me unless I had a job
Also have used my accesss to super once this year to pay bills under financial hardship


«1

Comments

  • June1952June1952 Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 1,525
    Your main focus at this moment is your double mastectomy early next week.  Concentrate on that, get through that, then you can focus on the financial issues.
    The BCNA or Cancer Council helplines may be able to help you with that.
    In the meantime, concentrate on YOU.
  • Suzie82Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    June1952 said:
    Your main focus at this moment is your double mastectomy early next week.  Concentrate on that, get through that, then you can focus on the financial issues.
    The BCNA or Cancer Council helplines may be able to help you with that.
    In the meantime, concentrate on YOU.

    Hi June1952
    Yes your right there is so much going on right now. One day at a time. I have sourced advice before from the cancer council but found the people they use for financial assistance weren't much help. But one day at a time. One of the facebook support groups mentioned to talk to the support worker at the hospital so I shall do that after the mastectomy.
  • arpiearpie Mid North Coast, NSWMember Posts: 6,372
    Definitely chat with the Social Worker at the hospital - let the ward staff know, so you can see them after the op.  I've recently chatted with the Social Worker at our local private hospital & she's been wonderful in pointing us in the right direction for getting assistance for my husband who is now on permanent chemo, including helping us with one big bill.

    They will know all the local people to make contact with to help you - Good luck xx
  • Suzie82Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    arpie said:
    Definitely chat with the Social Worker at the hospital - let the ward staff know, so you can see them after the op.  I've recently chatted with the Social Worker at our local private hospital & she's been wonderful in pointing us in the right direction for getting assistance for my husband who is now on permanent chemo, including helping us with one big bill.

    They will know all the local people to make contact with to help you - Good luck xx

    Thank you Arpie I will definately have a chat with the social worker.  I am glad you and your husband were able to get some assistance. Good luck with everything also xx
  • Keeping_positive1Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 439
    You might be eligible to get access to a Financial Planner (pro bono) through the Cancer Council.  Also depending which state you are in you may be eligible for assistance to pay your utility bills.  Please don't make any permanent decisions to a temporary problem without seeking expert advise on financial matters.  I engaged a Financial Planner that guided me through so I didn't lose my home and also unable to return to work I claimed a TPD through my superannuation fund. 
    I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery.  Take care. xx
  • Suzie82Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    You might be eligible to get access to a Financial Planner (pro bono) through the Cancer Council.  Also depending which state you are in you may be eligible for assistance to pay your utility bills.  Please don't make any permanent decisions to a temporary problem without seeking expert advise on financial matters.  I engaged a Financial Planner that guided me through so I didn't lose my home and also unable to return to work I claimed a TPD through my superannuation fund. 
    I wish you all the best with your upcoming surgery.  Take care. xx

    Hi Keeping positve
    Thank you for your message and tips. I have had several people mention tpd to me so will be looking into that. You take care also xx
  • FLCloverFLClover Sydney Member Posts: 1,458
    If you have a double mastectomy next week, then I agree with @June1952, definitely just focus not on that right now. Your health is much more important than any houses or bills or money. I was in a similar situation and managed to get by, so you will too. There are options, as we can see from the suggestions from the other ladies. A financial planner would be good. But for now, the dmx. Get yourself prepared for that. Everything else will sort itself out 💕
  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 5,208
    @Suzie82

    I am late to this discussion. 
    Did you know there's a fact sheet on the BCNA website on this very topic.  Here's the link

    https://www.bcna.org.au/resource/fact-sheet-financial-and-practical-assistance/

    Hope that helps and best wishes with your ongoing treatment
    Take care
  • Suzie82Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    iserbrown said:
    @Suzie82

    I am late to this discussion. 
    Did you know there's a fact sheet on the BCNA website on this very topic.  Here's the link

    https://www.bcna.org.au/resource/fact-sheet-financial-and-practical-assistance/

    Hope that helps and best wishes with your ongoing treatment
    Take care

    Hi Iserbrown
    Thank you yes I found it helpful much appreciated
  • arpiearpie Mid North Coast, NSWMember Posts: 6,372
    All the best for your surgery this week @Suzie82 xx 

    rest up, take care xx

  • June1952June1952 Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 1,525
    Pleased to hear that all went well.  Take time now to recover and look after yourself.  💖
  • Suzie82Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    June1952 said:
    Pleased to hear that all went well.  Take time now to recover and look after yourself.  💖

    Thank you June1952
  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 5,208
    edited October 2021
    Nice to read that you got through surgery.  Allow yourself some slack as you recover 

    There's a lot to take in when a diagnosis and possible surgery and follow up treatment are put to us

    Take care
  • Suzie82Suzie82 Member Posts: 39
    iserbrown said:
    Nice to read that you got through surgery.  Allow yourself some slack as you recover 

    There's a lot to take in when a diagnosis and possible surgery and follow up treatment are put to us

    Take care

    Thank you iserbrown. Yes I am allowing myself to do all of the right things and going for gentle walks to get out of the house. It is very tight where the stitches are but I am being careful not to over do things.
Sign In or Register to comment.