First Post

Options

Comments

• TechnicalWriter
    TechnicalWriter Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi ShirlO!  They do have GREAT beds in hospital don't they?  Thanks so much for your thoughtfulness and sending me a message on D-Day!  All went smoothly.  I am very tender in the left breast area, as to be expected, but not on any pain killers much - maybe a bit of Panadol if needed, but mostly I don’t need it.   I won’t get the results from what the pathology tests say until Fri next week (10th Sep).   

I am delighted that I only have one wound.  It is an L shape quite close the left nipple (from about 11’oclock to 5 o’clock) where they removed the lump as well as the sentinel node/s.   I am very glad about that from a scarring point of view and also for healing, I won’t have to worry about messing around with a wound under my arm.  Also I was worried about losing the shape of my breast and looking lopsided or deformed on one side afterwards.  But things look really good so far, so I am very pleased about that too, except I do have to wear very un-sexy bras for the next 3 months!

I’m home now and feeling dopey and tired. So have settled into bed with the laptop, a book and a movie – so my husband says everything’s normal!

Cheers

Cynthia

• TechnicalWriter
    TechnicalWriter Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Moira.  I am totally amazed and touched at the thoughtfulness of this online group - to remember my surgery date and send messages of ressurance. Fantastic.  And thank you! 

Everything went smoothly in surgery.  I am very tender in the left breast area, as to be expected, but not on any pain killers much - maybe a bit of Panadol if needed, but mostly I don’t need it.   I won’t get the results from what the pathology tests say until Fri next week (10th Sep). 

I am delighted that I only have one wound.  It is an L shape quite close the left nipple (from about 11’oclock to 5 o’clock) where they removed the lump as well as the sentinel node/s.  I am very glad about that from a scarring point of view and also for healing, I won’t have to worry about messing around with a wound under my arm.  Also I was worried about losing the shape of my breast and looking lopsided or deformed on one side afterwards.  But things look really good so far, so I am very pleased about that too, except I do have to wear very un-sexy bras for the next 3 months!

I’m home now and feeling dopey and tired. So have settled into bed with the laptop, a book and a movie – so my husband says everything’s normal!

Cynthia

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

glad it all went well, and yep unsexxy is the word for the bras for the next few weeks/months, but then back into the normal ones after that, glad the scarring is good, and will be easily hidden. GREAT STUFF.... Enjoy your time getting pampered,  Chocoloate is always helpful to lift my moods.... hehe... good luck and keep in touch. XX

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

glad it all went well, and yep unsexxy is the word for the bras for the next few weeks/months, but then back into the normal ones after that, glad the scarring is good, and will be easily hidden. GREAT STUFF.... Enjoy your time getting pampered,  Chocoloate is always helpful to lift my moods.... hehe... good luck and keep in touch. XX

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Glad the operation is behind you.  Daggie bras are us!!!  I have just had reconstruction and I am still in the ugly ones too!!!

The wait is on for the pathology results now.  Lets hope the margins were clear and no node involvement.

Rest up. 

Take care.

Tanya

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi cynthia,

just checking to see how things are going with you, are you still resting up? hope you are feeling okay, and still enjoying the pampering.... hope things are going okay.

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi cynthia,

just checking to see how things are going with you, are you still resting up? hope you are feeling okay, and still enjoying the pampering.... hope things are going okay.

• chez
    chez Member Posts: 4
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi cynthia,

I am also new to the site and very similar circumstances. I have had regular mammograms due to dense breasts and needle biopsies on cysts, so was suprised when my regular mammogram showed up DCIS ( geez didn't even know what that meant) but after a core biopsy (18 cores removed ) untrasounds and more mammograms I needed a lumpectomy. My surgeon took out the size of a tennis ball from my left breast and rearranged the flesh so as I didnt have a crator. approx 20 stitches from my armpit to nipple across the top of left beast. pathology found a small invasive cancer so now I am booked in for a mastectomy on 6th Oct, took approx 5 days to be relatively pain free but a month to be totally pain free, just in time to do it all again. I still wore my normal bras just rearranged things occassionally. hope this helps. chez

• Lyn11
    Lyn11 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tanya. In July this year I had my right breast removed. I was given the choice of a lkumpectomy or mastectomy but advised to have the latter because of the size of the tumour and the likelihood of a  return trip to the theatre. I didn't think I was over endowed before but now I am really embarrassed about the lop sidedness.  I won't let my husband see me without a prosthesis. I wish I had had both taken off at the same time. I have been put on the waiting list for a reconstructiuon but have been told this will take years. I get really depressed. How did you cope?

Lynne

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn

Sorry you are feeling down.  I felt the same and was really self conscience in clothes and god forbid if you kids asked me to do up their shoelaces and had to bend over (this would instill fear in me) that someone would see my scars, hollow etc.

Where abouts are you that you are on a wait list?  Check out the website Breast Angels, I do not have too much info, but they (and I could be wrong) believe that no women should have to wait for a reconstruction.  I am assuming you are a public patient.  I was private, but only stepped up my converage 6 months prior and was out of pocket $267.00.  Maybe that is an option too. 

For the record reconstruction has given me back some confidence, but there is still no way my husband is gonna see these with the scars from my armpit to the centre of my chest.. So whilst I am happy that I have had the reconstruction, they are still a long way from perfect.  I have a sticker on my wall that says "hell yer, they are fake, the real ones almost cost me my life".

Sorry you are feeling crap, BC has given you enough grief.  I will do some research when you tell me which state you are in and see if someone knows there way around the system.  I don't take no for an answer very often any more.

Talk soon.

Tanya xx

• Lyn11
    Lyn11 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2015
    Options

I am in Brisbane, well a northern suburb of Brisbane to be exact. I know what you mean when you talk about doing up shoelaces! Buttons are my best friends!....as are scarves!

I was shocked when I saw my scar. In the book I only glanced at the picture and I thought "I can cope with that." It was only about 3 inches max! When I saw mine from the armpit to the middle I had another look at the book and this time looked properly. Her scar was quite faded and didn't show up very well. Mine looks like Great Grandma with her teeth out! Really really ugly!

I was a public patient but I have no complaints about the treatment from the nursing staff in a public hospital. They were wonderful

Lynne

• Collinbee
    Collinbee Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015
    Options

Have just joined this today and finding my way around so need some help for the next step.

I had a lumpectomy in September and am now half way through radiotherapy.

I was told just this week that I also have to have Hercetin. At age 76 I am finding the going abit tough at present.

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Collinbee, and welcome to our site, you are in the right place, you can just click on my blog, and you can type anything you want to say to the ladies, we have ladies on here who have just been diagnosed, through to long term survivors, and there are all age groups as well, therefore a wealth of information on here, from a great bunch of women, please feel free to add me to your contacts i will be away for a couple of days, but if you need any help with the site then search for Di (she is the site administrator at bcna). look forward to talking with you. Moira

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi Collinbee, and welcome to our site, you are in the right place, you can just click on my blog, and you can type anything you want to say to the ladies, we have ladies on here who have just been diagnosed, through to long term survivors, and there are all age groups as well, therefore a wealth of information on here, from a great bunch of women, please feel free to add me to your contacts i will be away for a couple of days, but if you need any help with the site then search for Di (she is the site administrator at bcna). look forward to talking with you. Moira

• Collinbee
    Collinbee Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi moira

Am still trying to find my way around the site.

Had radiotherapy session 20 of 25 yesterday sofar all not too bad. I start chemo on 7th December which I am  not looking forward to.

I have been reading alot of the postings and find them interesting. Yours is the only reply I have received to date.

Have put my name down for a local Feel good workshop which is on 17th Nov.

Regards  June