First Post

Options
TechnicalWriter
TechnicalWriter Member Posts: 9
edited October 2010 in General discussion

Hello Out There!  This is my first post as I am finding my way around this site.  I was diagnosed a week ago and am scheduled for surgery in a weeks' time.  I'm in Newcastle, NSW.  I just wanted to test the water of this site and see what happens.  Good luck to you all.

Comments

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to BCNA network, sorry to hear you were diagnosed,
    I was diagnose in 2008, had chemo,radiotherapy and am now on hormone treatment, so please feel free to come in here anytime, there is a great bunch of women, who have gone and are still going through the process, so any information you need please get on here and i am sure someone will be able to help or support you.  I know at first you are bombarded with bochures etc, but have you applied to the bcna for you FREE "my Journey Kit" it has a wealth of information in it and also has  a handy Journal for you to keep all you records in one place, i used it while going through i found it great. you can order it through this site if you havent already got it. Good luck with your treatment and hope to see how you are going along on here, This network part of the website is fairly new, but feel free to add me to your list of contacs.  Regards  Moira 

• TechnicalWriter
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Moira1.  Thanks for your welcome and the info on the the Journey Kit (yes, I have registered for one) and you're right about brochure city!  When I find out how to add you to my contacts list I will do it.  I have been trying to work it out but no luck so far!  I am in reaaaasonably good spirits - but scared myself silly by reading some of the personal stories on this site!  I have a very small cancer so am grateful for that.  Cynthia

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

we all know what its like, especially at the beginning, but once we start on the road of treatments, you always feel at least you are on the way to better health, so don't listen to the 100's of horror stories you hear, everyone is different, and we all react different. so good luck and keep in touch.

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Cynthia, you've probably worked it out by now but to add a contact .... eg Moira

Click on her small photo next to the message she sent you (or the icon if there is no photo), that will bring up her details.

Click on "add as a contact", the screen will change and you can send her a message too

Click on "save" and job's done

Cheers .... Shjirl

• TechnicalWriter
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tanya, thanks for your welcoming message and the compliment re my profile pic!  Yeah my surgery is a lumpectomy with a sentinel node removal.  (Not sure what an ancillary clearance is - can you fill me in?)  It sounds like you've had two experiences if you've had recovery from an ancillary thingy as well as a mastectomy.  Did it come back?  After how long?  My breast tissue is very dense and so I have had regular ultrascans yearly for the last few years.  The lump showed up on one of those.  It is very small by the initial pathology report - 5mm, but is invasive.  When were you first diagnosed? 

Cynthia

• TechnicalWriter
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tanya, thanks for your welcoming message and the compliment re my profile pic!  Yeah my surgery is a lumpectomy with a sentinel node removal.  (Not sure what an ancillary clearance is - can you fill me in?)  It sounds like you've had two experiences if you've had recovery from an ancillary thingy as well as a mastectomy.  Did it come back?  After how long?  My breast tissue is very dense and so I have had regular ultrascans yearly for the last few years.  The lump showed up on one of those.  It is very small by the initial pathology report - 5mm, but is invasive.  When were you first diagnosed? 

Cynthia

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was diagnosed in 2007 at 36 and had a Left mastecomy (because of the size 27mm) and ancillary clearance at the same time.  I had a sentinel node removed and it looked a bit suss, so they opted to take 16 nodes (ancillary clearance).  I only had one node affected but they removed the lot anyway.

Earlier this year I had my other breast removed and reconstruction on both.  I have not had a reoccurance just had this done for peace of mind and lets face it a new set of perkie ones .

5mm is small, so great that it showed up and great that you got it early and hopefully you will not need any further treatment.

Feel free to ask away any questions that you may have.

Tanya

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Cynthia

I lost all my hair during chemo, but there are so many great wigs available, so that part was good.  My hair came back better than before initially and is at shoulder length now.  I had hair extensions in for a while, just to make me feel like a girl again.

My cancer was fed by estrigen, so I am on hormone therapy for the next 2 years or so.  (5 years in total) and that has effected my sexiness etc, but where there is a will there is way.

I have days that I hate what cancer has done, but there are other times that I can turn it all around and look at the glass as being half full.

No hair sux, but on the bright side there are some really great wigs.  I have been induced into menopause since 37 years old, but I have not had too many bad side effects.  My skin is a little more wrinklier than it should be and my hair is thinning a little, but from all accounts it will thicken when I go off arimidex, again, if I use a bit of product I am the only one that knows that it is not as thick as it was.

My reconstructed breasts are not as soft as the real ones, but in clothes it gives me the confidence that I need.

There are lots of negatives and I am sure you have read of the crappy negatives, but there are also a lot of good things to come out of it (which sounds like a real cliche).  I always worried about stuff that now I wouldn't waste my time on now.  Despite losing my breasts my confidence is better than ever.  My husband and I are closer than I ever thought possible.  I read a saying recently that said (and I hope I don't lose the point in translation) that how can you know what the highs in life are like if you dont have the lows.  They said it better than that, but you get the idea. 

There are no questions that you cannot ask here.  Happy to talk.  It must be such a scary time for you waiting for the surgery.  Do you know your treatment plan yet?

Tanya

• Tanya
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Cynthia

I lost all my hair during chemo, but there are so many great wigs available, so that part was good.  My hair came back better than before initially and is at shoulder length now.  I had hair extensions in for a while, just to make me feel like a girl again.

My cancer was fed by estrigen, so I am on hormone therapy for the next 2 years or so.  (5 years in total) and that has effected my sexiness etc, but where there is a will there is way.

I have days that I hate what cancer has done, but there are other times that I can turn it all around and look at the glass as being half full.

No hair sux, but on the bright side there are some really great wigs.  I have been induced into menopause since 37 years old, but I have not had too many bad side effects.  My skin is a little more wrinklier than it should be and my hair is thinning a little, but from all accounts it will thicken when I go off arimidex, again, if I use a bit of product I am the only one that knows that it is not as thick as it was.

My reconstructed breasts are not as soft as the real ones, but in clothes it gives me the confidence that I need.

There are lots of negatives and I am sure you have read of the crappy negatives, but there are also a lot of good things to come out of it (which sounds like a real cliche).  I always worried about stuff that now I wouldn't waste my time on now.  Despite losing my breasts my confidence is better than ever.  My husband and I are closer than I ever thought possible.  I read a saying recently that said (and I hope I don't lose the point in translation) that how can you know what the highs in life are like if you dont have the lows.  They said it better than that, but you get the idea. 

There are no questions that you cannot ask here.  Happy to talk.  It must be such a scary time for you waiting for the surgery.  Do you know your treatment plan yet?

Tanya

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

ok try again, my connection went after i typed my comments...

I had a lumpectomy, 10 lymph nodes removed, chemo, radiotherapy, I finished all that a 18 months agao, and am also on Arimidex hormone for 5 years.  I also lost my hair with chemo, but had a great time with hats and scarfs.  And the good thing was it came in black and Curly (the only curls i ever had were the bad perms in the 70's). I straighten it sometimes now, but its great to have the option to leave it or straighen it.  BONUS i still havent had to colours it. My husband was also a GREAT support to me, and i can say we appreciate each other more every day. What day is your op scheduled for Cynthia? We will be thinking of you.....

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

ok try again, my connection went after i typed my comments...

I had a lumpectomy, 10 lymph nodes removed, chemo, radiotherapy, I finished all that a 18 months agao, and am also on Arimidex hormone for 5 years.  I also lost my hair with chemo, but had a great time with hats and scarfs.  And the good thing was it came in black and Curly (the only curls i ever had were the bad perms in the 70's). I straighten it sometimes now, but its great to have the option to leave it or straighen it.  BONUS i still havent had to colours it. My husband was also a GREAT support to me, and i can say we appreciate each other more every day. What day is your op scheduled for Cynthia? We will be thinking of you.....

• TechnicalWriter
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hello again Moira.  Your message is quite timely.  So thank you.  You also sound quite chirpy with your situation as it currently is.  No doubt you have done lots of hard emotional processing to get this far and sound so good.  The closer my surgery comes (Wed 1st Sep) I am feeling more and more a sense of impending loss over the shape and size of my breast.  As a lumpectomy-expert yourself, are you able to comment on this?  I am a bit fragile about this and am wearing my sexiest tops and bras until D-Day, feeling teary the whole time.  Cynthia

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry, I have only just found this section of the site.  Your situation has brought back memories of how scared I was.  I was diagnosed in Sept 2006 and operated on in Oct 2006.  Initially it was thought that I had breast cancer in both breasts - so my breasts have lots of scars (only visible to close eyes)  My major op was on my left breast - lumpectomy and I had the wider axilliary clearance - no sentinal node option at the time. I then had radiotherapy and am on Tamoxifen.  I chose not to have chemo as I felt that the "add ons" over a ten year period did not weigh up enough for the sick period of chemo.  (this is now quite changed as there are drugs to counteract the sickness) I wondered how my breast would look at the end.  Who cares - it actually is fuller than the right one as I suffer from a bit of lympodema. I treat this with a monthly beautiful massage - what a sacrifice!!! What I'm trying to convey to you is that with family support and a very positive attitude you will come out as a different person.  From my point of view I have gained so many wonderful friendships; had such a lovely experience with treatment with such caring medical and ancillary staff; .  It just goes on and on - I say it is the Best Club I have Ever been in.  (Outsiders think I am nuts!!)  My biggest obstacle has been work - the people are still the same - it is me who is different.  With a positive attitude and the support of ladies who have experienced before you, you are in for the ride of your life!!!  My thoughts are with you today and for your ongoing treatment.  Please put your questions, concerns etc on this site as there is a wealth of "experience" to tap into.  Remember everyone is there for YOU.XLeonie

PS:  Any obstacles that come your way see them as a great opportunity to push even harder ahead.

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well, today is the day for you .... I hope that by now you are out of theatre and back into your "comfortable" hospital bed.  I have been thinking of you - been out all day and only just home so jumped on the comp to dash this note off to you.

Stay well and keep up the positive thoughts.  Come and chat to us when you are able...

Cheers ... Shirl xxx

• moira1
    edited March 2015
    Options

well Cynthia,

By the time you read this, you will be over the operation part, I was in Adelaide with my father in law who is currently having chemo, but i was thinking of you. I did wear baggy t-shirts etc to begin with, but you know i soon learnt that i was the only one who noticed the difference so guess what, i'm now back to wearing my usual clothes and feeling good about myself.  If you have a medical person support (even if it is your doctor, rememebr they can order the berlei bra from bcna for you.  they have to order for you so you get the correct size, this is invaluable, as the stuffing can be pulled out and in, and it also has no seams so is great for when you are going through radiotherapy and well, so make sure you get someone to order it for you. Once again, we are all thinking of you and when you feel up to it i'm sure we will hear from you again.  Take Care