Mental health.. News story triggered a panic attack

Options
2»

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Hello @2MC, sorry to read about your suffering. I’m not sure if this is your first panic attack or if you’ve had them previously, but I have a bit of a long history with them so have learnt some really good coping mechanisms. I was actually having them every day for a few months a year or so before I was diagnosed. I also have generalised anxiety, which was hitting the roof for a whole month before I found my lump. In addition, I’m a hypochondriac and have a couple of pretty bad phobias. But, I have managed to get them all under control and keep them that way, most of the
    time 😆. It’s taken a couple years with different psychologists to get here, but I'm
    feeling a lot better and don’t have insomnia anymore either, which was caused by them. I’m not completely rid of my phobias, but it’s a work in progress, and I'm doing very well. I felt like you do now when I was first diagnosed. It was a very difficult time. I was caught up in a ca bubble world and couldn’t see the future very clearly. Couldn’t see much point planning etc. as you said. Really dreadful and awful feeling; lonely and isolating. Wouldn’t wish it on anyone. Felt very helpless. But here I am now, happy and planning and doing things I always wanted to. Complete opposite to how I was feeling a year ago. Complete. It still requires work, but everything does. So if you’d like, I can share my notes with you to your inbox, and give you some coping mechanisms that I was given to help you til your next appointment with a psychologist. Cos even one hour in that state is hell. And you can get past it, I promise you that. I helped one of my old students who I learnt was having panic attacks with the same notes and a talk. He’s still grateful. Just let me know 😊😘. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I don't know about the latest figures for exercise and recurrence, but it certainly has a huge impact on mental health - not just the endorphins released by the actual movement, but by the knowledge that this is something positive you are doing for your body.  Whether it be cardio, or muscle strength, or staving off osteoporosis, as long as you are working with your current limits and not injuring yourself, it's great.
  • 2MC
    2MC Member Posts: 59
    Options
    @Sister
    yes it certainly did my husband said he’s going to ban me from the news and goggle haha!

I know that statistics are not A certainty on my survival
    and I know cancer or no cancer that nobody in the entire world has any guarantees 

I guess it’s just a testament to how my anxiety controls my thoughts
    if someone said I had 99% chance survival I’d believe I’d believe I’d be the 1%
    if someone replaced it with winning the lotto I’d be the in the 99% of losers

talking this out has really helped to see how my mind is letting me down  

thank you x

@J@Julez1958  I love that quote and will think those words next time I’m stuck on calculating statistics in my head 

thank you x

• 2MC
    Options
    @iserbrown and @Halla

Im doing yoga and walking my dog 5k 5 days a week
    Before cancer I was a fitness addict 
    and I ate super healthy too 

I haven’t lost my faith completely when it comes to exercise and health but I’m still allowing myself treats as I have always denied myself in the past 

As far as exercise goes now I do it more for my mental health and flexibility 

@Halla thank you for reading my story and your beautiful comments they have really cheered me up 

Thanks so much to you both xx
  • 2MC
    Options
    @FLClover

Thank you for reaching out in such a lovely way
    I too am like you
    anxiety, panic attacks 
    death and health anxiety before diagnosis 

as a young child I knew I was different but never had it diagnosed properly so I spent lunch and recess or I’d excuse myself from class to have my panic attacks in the toilet

as an adult I found my best friend in the form of my husband 
    who helped me get on top of things 

I have tried antidepressants (They were not for me)
    Exercise, healthy diet and long talks with my husband got me into a better place

I feel like so many others probably that cancer has made those emotions so much more challenging 
    I wasn’t going to use a Psychologist every time a lady at chemotherapy asked until I realized late in the treatment that I really needed it
    i got in just in time to start feeling positive again
    but when it ended because my treatment ended I found myself going backwards 

my GP has got me in to see another Psychologist
    But being financially restricted I had to wait for a government funded one.

Sorry for my rant
    in short Yes! I would love some extra information 
    always looking for new tools to control this terrible metal disease 

thank you xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I went to a counsellor for about three months - not depressed or suffering anxiety but some possibly lifelong side effects had me wondering who I was a bit. Best thing I ever did. I think almost anyone needs a distanced but perceptive other to talk things out with after any life threatening event, brushes with mortality can be destabilising at first but with some guideropes, hugely valuable! 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    No problem at all hun ☺️. And that was definitely not a rant. Cancer has definitely made things harder for us, but on the other hand has helped cos I finally saw a psychologist. I could never afford one before, plus I had the panic attacks under control. But not my anxiety. And I couldn’t see how bad it was becoming. Plus a whole lot of other things. I got an amazing psychologist through my oncologist for free, she was a massive help to me. So with that, plus my knowledge of panic attacks and anxiety, I’m doing better. The mental aspect of this is just as challenging as the physical, so we need to address that. Unfortunately, we still have to pay sometimes, so helping each other is even more important.
    I have a busy day today so I’ll write to you tonight, cos I need time to organise my thoughts on paper, or in this case phone 😆☺️
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    That's one part of what this forum is here for.  Rant away if that's what you need - we get it.  I doubt that there's any of us who haven't felt that icy sensation come over us as our stomach drops from hearing or reading something unexpectedly.  If you're already suffering anxiety, that's going to up the ante.  It's good that you have got in to see a psych.  If nothing else than to have someone who has to listen to what you say.  It's amazing our cathartic that can be.
  • 2MC
    Options
    @Sister
    thank you
    when my worried mind is filled with many anxious voices screaming all at once 
    it’s hard to hear the voice of reason 
    speaking to you and all the other lovely ladies on hear certainly helps to regain stability and a chance to reflect on the positives once again 

Feeling blessed to have had so many kind responses 
    ❤️🥰❤️
  • Kiki_Dances60
    Kiki_Dances60 Member Posts: 40
    Options
    @2MC big hugs to you. I agree with what everyone else has said! That sort of news story is definitely a trigger, as are ill-advised ‘sharing’ by friends of cancer stories and review appointments (BCNA webcast).
    Great you’re seeing a psychologist (best thing I did was to find a psycho-oncologist), getting out into fresh air and getting your exercise, plus beautiful you’ve a supportive partner. 

Feeling down and vulnerable at times is super normal for anyone who has had BC diagnosis. I was really down the past week with all sorts of worries. I saw my radiation oncologist about a post radiation worry. He listened kindly and reminded me gently about fresh air and exercise helping mood. I went out for a walk afterwards and felt better.😊 I’m forcing myself out every day! 

I’ve read that endocrine therapy can affect mood too, so that’s given me even more reason to get outside and exercising.