Home Now what? The highs and lows of survivorship



Mental health.. News story triggered a panic attack

2MC2MC South Australia Member Posts: 58
Hi guys
I had one of my bad day’s yesterday
they seem to be getting more frequent for some reason. Properly because I’m seeing specialist less now As I’m in my first year survival.

anyway watching the news last night on a story about Trodelvy 
a new treatment for triple negative breast cancer
of course this interested me as it was the cancer I was diagnosed with

sadly they  put up a diagram of four people and painted one red and said that one of four people with this cancer would not survive 5 years.

well! Did this send me into a bad state
with my husband trying desperately  to console me.

I know triple negative has a higher risk factor but I didn’t realize it was this bad statistically.
it makes it difficult to believe I have a future even though everything is going well so far.
It really makes me feel I have no reason to dream or plan my future 

I still have 2 weeks until I can get into see a Psychologist
saw one during treatment last year but that ended at the end of treatment 
she got me into a good place but in the last 6 months I am gradually spiraling down

all I can think now is really!!! One in four 😭

I could really use some kind positive vibes right now 💖


«1

Comments

  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 4,557
    Sending you a virtual hug!
    It's a little confronting when reports on the news knock you around. 
    Recently here in Melbourne the newspaper headline about breast implants and what to look for.  I am well aware and well versed, thanks to my Specialist however it does rattle the nerves.
    The appointment with a Psychologist will hopefully give you some coping mechanisms and recognising triggers so you can cope and be one of the many triple negative survivors!
    Take care
  • Cath62Cath62 Brisbane Member Posts: 213
    Sending you hugs xxx
  • 2MC2MC South Australia Member Posts: 58
    @Afraser
    Thank you for your wise words once again
    75% sounds better but = 1 in 4
    it just upset me to see it phrased that way
    my husband said the news will always go for the shock factor

    I try and not google but even TV can trigger panic attacks and remind us of cancer :(

    @StrongCoffee thank you for you advice
    Being someone who has dealt with anxiety and depression for all my life
    finding tools to control panic has never been more necessary then now
    i will definitely give you suggestions ago 😃


    @iserbrown and @Cath62  thank you for the hug xx

  • 2MC2MC South Australia Member Posts: 58
    @MBHPJ
    what a wonderful outlook you have
    I walk in nature everyday with my four legged friend 
    and I too think about the wonderful things in life I have received 
    my husband is amazing and my best friend 

    somedays just get the better of us I guess 
    sometimes I got stuck on a negative thought pattern loop but it’s lovely to be able to speak to the wonderful people on here who understand what you’re going through xx

  • AfraserAfraser MelbourneMember Posts: 3,472
    Your husband is 100% correct re the media! Happy stories don’t sell papers or advertising time! You are not long on this particular little adventure - forgive me for that word, I got very cross (but hid it) when a pathologist used it, but in time I changed my mind. Some adventures are scary, some have extremely unpleasant moments. It’s an adventure because it’s new, you’ve never done it before, you don’t know if you can or how it will turn out. Years from now, you’ll rattle off stats with the best of us, memories won’t come unbidden and you’ll find your own level of calm. But it’s a scary ride at first so don’t blame yourself for perfectly natural feelings. Best wishes. 
  • SisterSister Adelaide Hills, SAMember Posts: 4,907
    Statements like those in the news story can make the bottom drop out of your world - doesn't matter how grounded you are.  @StrongCoffees statement about whether worrying is going to change things is so true.  It's not going to make it go away, take the anger or the sadness from you, but reflecting on it when you have your breath back makes you realise that there is only one way and that is forward.  I don't know what my future is going to look like.  I'm hoping that it is long and relatively healthy and I am doing the best I can to help that.  I want to be on the right side of the stats but in the end I only have so much control of it.  
  • Julez1958Julez1958 SydneyMember Posts: 54
    Hi sending virtual hugs 😊
    someone once said “ statistics are like a lamppost to a drunk , more useful for leaning on than illumination”.
    I agree with what has been said above - you can treat statistics as a positive or a negative - I like to look at the positive - a 75 percent chance of survival is a good thing , I don’t turn it around and think of “ what if I am in the 25 percent”.
    you can’t control the outcome , so just enjoy life.
    However , if stuff is getting you down , by all means get professional help from a psychologist , I saw one briefly and her best advice was “ it’s ok to cry”.
     So  I don’t even apologise  for random and / or inappropriate bouts of crying now.
  • HallaHalla Travancore, MelbourneMember Posts: 116
    I went to see an exercise physiologist today who claimed that exercising regularly reduces the chance of recurrence by 400%!! 
  • HallaHalla Travancore, MelbourneMember Posts: 116
    I just had a look at your story too @2mc, your chances would be MUCH better than 75%, sounds like you caught it really early, responded well to drugs...and BTW you don’t look 47!! You look about 25!
  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 4,557
    That's a big number!
    I have read 20 to 40%
    Best wishes 
    Take care
  • HallaHalla Travancore, MelbourneMember Posts: 116
    iserbrown said:
    That's a big number!
    I have read 20 to 40%
    Best wishes 
    Take care
    I know that’s what I thought! He works at the oncology clinic though so I guess he knows what he is talking about. Great motivator to exercise anyway!
  • iserbrowniserbrown Regional VictoriaMember Posts: 4,557
    "Exercise and staying fit | Breast Cancer Network Australia" https://www.bcna.org.au/health-wellbeing/physical-wellbeing/exercise-and-staying-fit/
Sign In or Register to comment.