It’s Just DCIS, the words of the BCN leaving me feeling like a fraud

Options
2»

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,576
    Options
    WTF?  That is disgraceful that  a BCN said that to you. She sounds a cow! There is nothing ‘just’ about ANY Breast Cancer @Blister ... That was the most horribly insensitive comment I’ve ever HEARD about any form of BC.  No WAY are you a fraud! 

To be honest, I think a carefully worded message needs to be sent to the practise manager,as you are unlikely to be the only one who has suffered from this person’s acid comments about their condition and recovery.

I had seroma and it was incredibly painful and uncomfortable .... but it wasn’t bad enough to need draining.  

Take care, lean on us ... we’ll hold you up xx
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    Options
    I agree with other comments, a good Physio and some treatment can help a lot with sore areas in the chest and surrounding areas after cancer surgery.  Some have a special interest in post breast cancer surgery cases. I speak from experience. I also had a seroma and it took a while to clear up.  Five years in I still rarely wear a bra.  I am not sure why but they just aren’t comfortable.  

You are allowed to complain and have treatment. I hope things improve soon.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I sometimes feel let down by not really having a breast cancer nurse but when I read stuff like this, I think I'm lucky.  She sounds like she needs a new job.  Take care @blister
  • Blister
    Blister Member Posts: 65
    Options
    @Sister my aunt has a McGrath Breast Care Nurse she was amazing for her, she organized things for her, checked up on her especially post op.  She’s just 2 years over and she still calls her and checks in.  Me from the get go, it was me calling checking what needs to be done, she’s only ever called me once and that was to tell me what I needed to do before my first surgery, no follow up following surgery
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Unfortunately, I think they're a mixed bag.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I never had a breast care nurse, nor for that matter felt disadvantaged by not having one, but every profession, medical or otherwise, has a range of ability, empathy and perhaps almost as important, a personality and manner that suit you personally. If the relationship is not working well (and you can), change it. 
  • Blister
    Blister Member Posts: 65
    Options
    @Afraser where I went everything seemed to be handed over to the BCN, my surgeon has never examined me since my release from hospital, the removal of the drain handed over to the BCN was told if I had any issues or concerns about my surgical area contact the BCN I had to remove my own dressings once I was home 2 weeks post surgery 😣 .  But it’s ok I’ve given up on doing that, any concerns I have now I go to my GP
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I am sure many have excellent experiences of their BCN, but I prefer to deal with my (communicative and informative) surgeon and oncologist myself! And I am eight years post diagnosis and still see them once a year. But yes, in the final analysis, you work out what suits you better and do that! Best wishes.