Why source Face Masks outside of Australia?

Options
Keeping_positive1
Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
Could BCNA have made a better decision at this time and had their face masks manufactured in Australia?  

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    I only buy Aus made where possible. My sofa bed is going to cost an extra $400 for the same brand, same style but I have the Aus option so I will be taking it. I was going to buy a Koala sofa but the fine print says made in China.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,831
    Options
    We were disappointed about the masks as well.
    We check everything and sooooooo much is coming from China, especially all things COVID related !
    I made a few masks (not great but better than some) and make our own sanitiser as we could find no Aussie made sanitiser, although there is one now.
    We happily pay more for Aussie made items.
    We know to double-check much-loved items and regularly find they are no longer made here - disappointing.
    We were wondering how much BCNA get from the sale of the masks and what huge portion goes to the third party.  (Sorry, BCNA, but we did want to buy some).
  • Keeping_positive1
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I was shocked also that they were brought in from China, when we have many here who are making the face masks for us to wear. Ironic that it is called Breast Cancer Network Australia, yet are not supporting local businesses that are particularly struggling at this time.  It really just starts with everyone doing their bit to support locals, and no offense meant, but I feel the need to speak out in this regard.  Possibly because I come from a family that have owned, lived and operated small businesses in Australia. 
    Food for thought! 
  • Emma17
    Emma17 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Follow the money.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Just a guess but it’s probably the embroidered logo that can’t be obtained in Australia at competitive rates. Masks are obviously no problem, but I’ve tried on a few occasions to get embroidered caps and the difference in cost is massive. 

• Keeping_positive1
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Afraser if buying in bulk we should be able to be more competitive, but often we are not.  Probably not enough competition here as many had closed shop even before the virus.  I hear there are lots of empty factories in the Western suburbs of Melbourne, many jobs already had gone abroad.  I find it so sad for the younger generation here to find ongoing employment, and that was before this virus came here.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Yes, this was the case a decade or more ago, it’s not virus created. It’s at least in part because we pay our workers better. Also because the really large orders are from companies with an international
    or global reach, which makes going to China at least favouring a component country. Sometimes though it’s just lack of demand - no one in Victoria could provide 20,000 plastic racing ducks (ordinary bath ones won’t do) for me at all some years back, let alone competitively. Just not enough duck races. I managed to get some pre loved ones, but they were Chinese! 
  • Keeping_positive1
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Afraser, we are not doing ourselves any favors as most of our major companies are not Australian owned, so profits going abroad.  Oh well, yes we already know that, I just find it rather sad also that even the company that makes our "Vegemite" is not even Australian owned now.  I digress, but I agree with many of your comments.
    Regarding the plastic ducks, I think companies now would morph into making plastic ducks if required, as they are already morphing into making masks and other PPE equipment.  So pleased many are thinking outside the square to keep going and keeping their employees in jobs.  It is a complex issue, that is for certain.
    I won't buy hand sanitizer from China!  Just saying!
    Nor would I buy face masks made in China, unless I was unaware of where they were made!
  • Emma17
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1 Good news, Vegemite has been Aussie-owned (again) since 2017!  Bega Cheese Limited repatriated ownership to Australia when it bought the brand from the overseas-based Mondelez International (Kraft Foods).
  • Keeping_positive1
    Options
    @Emma17 that is good news.  I didn't get the email! :)
    They didn't put the B12 back in, I guess they never will for some reason that is beyond me.
  • Emma17
    edited September 2020
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1 My jar of Vegemite (40% less salt variety) contains 25% of the Recommended Daily Intake of Vitamin B12 per serving.  Still putting a rose in every cheek!
  • Keeping_positive1
    Options
    Hi @Emma17.... oh wow, thanks for the info, I am so far behind. 
    I must get with the program :)  I must admit I haven't bought the 40% less salt variety, and now will be of my shopping list.  Amazing what we learn on this forum besides all things breast cancer related.  Thank you, and I don't mind be corrected if it means I learn something :)  So lovely of you.  xx