Feeling a bit down

Options
JoB
JoB Member Posts: 8
Hi, it's been a while since I last posted.  I was first diagnosed in Jan 2018, had a lumpectomy followed by 12 rounds of chemo followed by 25 rounds of radiation.  I was pushed into menopause and then last year had a double mastectomy.  All of this I think I managed relevantly well but just lately I have been struggling with sleeping, eating and just things in general.  The tiniest thing annoys me so much and this never happened before, I'm not sure if the current situation is to blame with not being able to socialize like we did previously and not being able to go out shopping when I feel like it, having to cancel weekends away etc, etc.  I couldn't tell you how many times during the night I wake up and then struggle to get back to sleep and if I have a glass of wine to help me relax this just makes sleeping 10 times worse.  Food..if I didn't have to eat it I wouldn't eat it.  I used to enjoy food but not anymore, I know I have to eat but I don't enjoy it and when I do eat I just walk, run or exercise more.  What annoys me the most is that I know there are people out there who are a lot worse off than me and I should be grateful for everything I have and not feel like I am feeling but how do I stop feeling like this??

Comments

• Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    Options
    Hi, I'm not as far along the track as you but I can definitely relate to some of what you posted. I've had the onset of menopause a few months ago and it's made sleep so difficult and I'm so irritated by so many things around me which leads me to yell more than I ever have before. My psych suggested keeping a gratitude journal and writing in 5 things each day I am grateful for (there are good free apps online). I has helped with the anger (but not the sleep). It is such a hard time on top of having BC. Hang in there.xx
  • Silba
    Silba Member Posts: 115
    Options
    Hi,

I'm just pass my 2 year mark with MBC, had the usual rounds , chemo , double mast, radio, I personally found getting over the radio more difficult than anything else, I too was force into early menopause and will add a hip replacement on top (at 51)and now going through a change in medication.

I talk to a psychologist every 4 weeks or so and she is a great help, the patience tanks rans low , the lack of sleep doesn't help but it could be your medication  menopause does it too , talk to your cancer nurse  there is stuff you can take short term to get your sleep pattern back, the mood swings I was cautioned about and I don't get angry ,I cry at the drop of a hat, ( commercials for" we''re all in this together ") wish they would take them off the air. Disney movies , forbidden in my house.

But I agree with Lythe pick something to be grateful for each day and if you smile at least once a day that is a great thing, eat , cry , be mad , give yourself a break about processing all the crap you have been thru, when I am really down ,I go on here and read the friday funnies.

Hang in there ......

• Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Options
    Hi JoB, 
    I was diagnosed in October 2018 and finished treatment October 2019.
    Just started to get out and about again, doing hydrotherapy, seeing friends attending social activities, then Covid19 hit us all.
    I was basically self isolating all of 2018 due to treatment, and now again during Covid19.
    It sure is a challenge mentally as I had so much planned for this year to do things that I missed out on last year. Didn’t get to book my cruise after treatment as a present to myself, Just as well really...... with what has happened.
    Sleep, I’m with you there at the moment, I take one night at a time, I would sleep for 3 hours then be staring at the ceiling, or some nights I feel so tired and I’m still awake hours after getting into bed, I get up and watch tv at all hours of the night until I start falling asleep again then I go back to bed.I have spoken to my GP and she has given me something to help me sleep which has been a god send. I feel I can deal with so much more if I get a good night sleep.
    I agree with Afraser about speaking with your GP regarding how you are feeling.
    When I get down , I crank the music up, sing and dance, watch a funny movie.

Be kind to yourself, your body has been through so much mentally and physically. XX
    Sending hugs xx

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Options
    Hi @JoB, you've been through a lot in 2 years.  Welcome back to the forum.  I have only been here a short time and it really is a wonderful place.  Sorry about your cruise, they are really a fantastic holiday (we have had 2 cruises).   Our last cruise was in 2013.  We were hoping to have one later in 2020 then we both lost our jobs due to covid19 and I was diagnosed with Breast Cancer this is not the 2020 I was planning!  I like the suggestions from @shellshocked2018 crank up the music, sing and dance and watch a funny movie.  I have a couple of movies I plan on watching soon.   Be kind to yourself, sending hugs xxx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    Options
    Hi JoB, I loved that movie! It’s very inspirational to see how she made that incredible comeback.Those sort of movies and biographies really inspire me to stop feeling sorry for myself.
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,278
    Options
    Last night I woke at 3am. It is now 7.45 😀. I did some guided meditation which was relaxing but I didn't go back to sleep. Oh well...it was only one night. Tonight will be better.

Emotionally this is a rollercoaster and I am coming to terms with that and giving myself permission to have a shit day and just then get in with it again. Just have to keep going really as what's the alternative. To help myself i am walking, maybe I will try an exercise group. I will eat healthy when I can but if I don't well I don't. I am about to start chemo so who knows how I will go.  I have been practicing meditation. Still learning and practicing but I think it helps. I also use an app called Delightful which reminds me at a certain time every day to be greatful for 3 things. It helps i think. I am trying to put tools in place to help me get through this. I have suffered depression in the past but I am not depressed now. Hopefully it stays that way.