What the heck is going on with this BC thing????????

Options
2»

Comments

• Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Interestingly my mum was on HRT for many years and she didnt get bc.
    My dad was in the agent orange and he got Prostate cancer later in life.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1 Or The Boogie  :D 
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Options
    You know , it’s funny I have the reverse, I don’t know ANYONE else with BC , strange since it is 1 in 8, I wonder where everyone else is, I feel like a freak show  :(

Come to think of it, I’m also the youngest person having rads at the moment by a country mile, I’m 55, I feel like a freak show there  too, it’s a bit depressing, what’s wrong with me?!

Not that I wish it on anyone..... 
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    He @Caz1 I think they're all hanging out with me :) 
     I was 45 when I did rads.  The only other person my age was a man having rads for prostate cancer...jeesus they cop a rough dea with that  eeewww.  He was there the same time as me and spent most of his time whinging about Tamoxifen side effects....I understand how he felt now!
  • Caz1
    Options
    Eeeeeww mind boggles @kezmusc :s
  • kmakm
    Options
    I'm the same @Caz1. I was 51 when I was going through treatment. 53 now and I still haven't met anyone outside this forum and my support group who's been recently diagnosed. The only possible exception being the sister of a friend who I met at her mother's funeral. The average age of diagnosis in Australia is 62 I think, so it's not surprising. Give it another 10 years and I reckon we'll see more in our real lives.

@kezmusc Last week I went to a BC conference and an eminent speaker from Boston mentioned in passing that more younger women are being diagnosed, that they don't really know why but they're fairly sure it's something environmental, ie what we're putting into our bodies, how and where we're living. Outside influences, that kind of thing. There's so much to learn still.
  • Caz1
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @kmakm well there you go, I didn’t know that slightly depressing stat.... think that makes me feel worse! ;)
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    An excerpt from an interesting podcast from a researcher in Utah indicates:

.....the increase (in young women diagnosed with bc) was statistically large but not numerically large. And this is a very important difference to me and my listeners. The rate of advanced breast cancer in young women almost doubled, which sounds like a huge increase. But in absolute numbers, it went from 1.53 per 100,000 women per year in 1976 to 2.9 per 100,000 women per year. An absolute increase of a little over 1 per 100,000 women per year over the 36-year interval.

She also pointed our that obesity is a cancer risk and the incidence of obesity in young women has increased significantly over the same period. 

The latter is certainly about what we are putting in our bodies, but not necessarily what we think of as chemical or environmental factors.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Did we have wheelie bins in 1976?

We eat more processed food than ever before, we're surrounded by things in the environment that are probably not too good for us, many more women drink alcohol in greater quantities than in previous generations...  But why did you and I get it?  May be genetic or may be that we were in the wrong place at the wrong time...
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I grew up in Scotland - pea soup fogs, reeking coal chimneys everywhere, smoking in cinemas (I can still see the projection beam cutting through the smoke swirl). The Scottish diet (meat, potatoes, sugar and alcohol) scarcely helped. Of course no-one spoke of cancer out loud, so I have no recollection of what the stats were. None in my families to my knowledge. Who can tell? 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Options
    Was it the newspaper they used to wrap the fish and chips in?
  • kmakm
    Options
    @Caz1 Sorry! Hey would you like to meet up one day for a cuppa and a chat? One freak show to another?!
  • Caz1
    Options
    @kmakm would love to! Have sent you a PM :)