Breaking up with your oncologist

Options
2»

Comments

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited February 2020
    Options
    I am so over seeing a different oncologist each time, but that is what you usually get through the public system, and it is so hard to build up a rapport, and getting different advise and perspectives does not provide me with much confidence.  If I could have gone private I would go back and do it much differently.  Like some say here the relationship with your oncologist is an important one so choose carefully and consider private if able, although I haven't completely lost faith in the oncologists I see, just that I don't feel fully listened to, nor do they know me well, it feels more like I am a number on their long list they need to get through for the day.  Bless them though, because we do need oncologists that are not just interested in their private practices.
  • Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    Options
    @NewBoobsPLS, I'm in WA, so mine's a bit far for you to travel, I hope you find your perfect fit.
  • Blondy
    Blondy Member Posts: 238
    Options
    @Keeping_positive
    There was no private facilities near me and I was put into the public system. I have only ever seen the same 2 oncs  The service has been exemplary .I have been very well looked after. I was seen within a week of surgery and started chemo a month after surgery and 5 weeks after chemo started rads. No different than paying privately.

• Keeping_positive1
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @Blondy I was talking about my experience with the public system and seeing many different oncologists, but so pleased that is not everyones experience. :)  Day oncology and the nurses are wonderful, but it leaves me a bit dissatisfied with having to just see whichever oncologist for the day.  So lucky you had a different experience, as we don't usually get to chose in the public system, nor do we get to chose the surgeon, but thankfully my surgeon was wonderful, I couldn't have picked a better surgeon if I had been paying privately.   

Some have been disappointed with their private hospital experience, so I guess it works both ways. 
  • shs14
    shs14 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Hi @Keeping_positive1 I'm in the public system and chose my surgeon (who also has private patients) and I have had the same oncologist the whole time. My surgery was two days later than it could have been if I was private. I feel well cared for and happy that I'm not paying extra for the same excellent treatment. I'm sorry to hear you have had a different experience and different doctors but great you got a wonderful surgeon!
  • Keeping_positive1
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @shs14 I can't complain about all of the oncologists they have been great, but when I hear of others saying it is important to have rapport with your oncologist, all I can say is which one?  They have their different personalities, some I gel with more than others, and a learning curve to test how adaptable I am.  I cannot fault the care I get, all my oncologists I see have been marvellous, just too many of them.  It is great you had one oncologist, and also great you got a wonderful surgeon also, as did I.  
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @Keeping_positive1
     How often do you see the Oncologist team?  Regardless it is about the quality of treatment - are you still in the middle of treatment?

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,577
    Options
    Both my Onc and Rad Oncs are in the public system and I’ve only seen a locum Onc once as mine had a baby. Next appt is back with her again. Both Oncs are female and fabulous. My Rad Onc has been praised by my surgeon in my Rads treatment, given the resulting texture in my Rads breast. She has also been the most proactive Of my whole team.  I can’t fault my experience with the public system and being rural you often have to take what you get. My surgeon referred me to the Rad Onc and I’ve been with her ever since.  I didn’t gel with my original Onc so swapped to my current one who had worked with my Rad Onc! 
  • Keeping_positive1
    edited February 2020
    Options
    @iserbrown I am seeing an Oncologist every 6 months now.