Ovary removal.

Options
2»

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I have asked about this a couple of times (and will ask again).  I know you can't have everything removed that can host a recurrence but I do think, given the ovaries are inactive and have to be, and that ovarian cancer is so hard to detect early, it kind of makes sense to take them out.  I guess there's dangers with every surgery and that has to be a consideration but...
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Are you feeling settled with your course of action @mum2jj?

@Sister I have often wondered why it's not more common.
  • Mic80
    Mic80 Member Posts: 46
    Options
    Hi @mum2jj
    mom doing ok thanks. I am smack in the middle of my AC treatment so just focusing on getting through this stage at the moment lol...
    i have an oncologist appointment next week so I’m going to ask some questions as to when I can schedule this operation.... I just want it done as I feel waiting is just tempting fate now.... I guess I just have to be patient and focus on one plan of attack at a time.
    So pleased you have yours scheduled.... I will be thinking of you and please let us know how you get on xxxx
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Thanks @Mic80, hang in there girl. Chemo can be a bitch so one day at a time and one foot in front of the other. That was my mantra, and this too shall pass. 
    Hugs
    Paula x
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    Hi @kmakm yes I do feel settled. It is a well researched decision for me and I feel definitely the right thing for me. I had much to weigh up. (Huge cancer history in my family although only one B.C. ). The biggest one is that when you read all the very vague symptoms I seem to suffer from all of them constantly. I am so worried I would miss it because of that. I have chronic back pain and most of the other symptoms due to other health issues. It wasn’t an easy decision but one I am now at ease with as are my medical team. 
    Paula xx
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    17 years ago I had the opportunity to have an oophorectomy. This is something I have posted about before.
    Because she had a full hysterectomy, my beautiful, very erect mum ended up having severe osteoporosis and a dowager's hump. 

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    And as scary as cancer can be, immobility because of broken bones, etc. is, for me, a far worse prospect.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    edited June 2019
    Options
    As with @Sister - I've also wondered if the removal of ovaries (in my case, 10 years post menopause - 20 years since the start of menopause) may prevent or reduce the requirement for AIs and at the same time, obviously prevent one of the most difficult cancers to detect from even occurring - Ovarian Cancer.

I am aware that some estrogen is also created from our own fat reserves that would need suppressing.

I wonder if any researchers have looked into this - from women who HAD to have ovaries removed and incidences of breast cancer within that group?

Obviously, the earlier the age of ovary removal, the more chance of osteoporosis - but at this point in time, with modern medicine & scanning methods to monitor bone density - it could be an option to explore or at least, worthy of research.

After all, it IS estrogen that is feeding most of our BCs

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    It's the lack of oestrogen that causes most of the problems and having the hormone treatments we're way past the "no ovary" concerns as I understand it.
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @mum2jj @Mic80 So glad to hear you have both decided on your surgery & are comfortable with your decision. To have the risk of ovarian cancer removed is such a HUGE relief to me & the recovery & surgery is quite simple also. I know I now have to watch my bone density due to the chance of getting osteoporosis but for my case, it is easier for me to combat this disease compared to fighting ovarian cancer. All of us here have had cancer & many have a family history so it's all about lessening our risk of re-occurrence. I know osteoporosis is a horrible, crippling condition but I now have 2 yearly bone density tests, I walk & run twice a day plus I do Pilates & strength training. My gyny onc said i would have no trouble due to the amount of exercise I do but I do still have regular checkups with my GP & blood tests to check on Vit D levels etc & if needed a supplement can be taken. Good luck ladies & may you both feel a weight of relief lifted after the procedure. love & hugs xxxx