Persistent cough

Options
2»

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    Serious house damp is usually noticeable by a musty smell, patches of mould and mildew on walls or corners, or discoloured patches on walls. Heavy condensation on windows may be a sign too. 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options
    @Locksley You can usually smell it, especially after you come home and the musty smell is there. As @June1952 said, there’s probably damp if the home is dark and if the windows are not opened regularly. You can buy the damp absorbers as a cheap option. I buy the ones from Bunnings or Rejection shop, they’re $2.50 each and they absorb quite a bit, especially from wardrobes. After I discovered I had it at my old place (whole mattress got mouldy) I bought a dehumidifier that was about $400. On humid days, it pulls 5 litres of water from the air in about 3-4 hours. That’s how bad it can get. 
    Anyway, start with the small ones, and look out for the musty smell 👌🏻
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Options
    @FLClover @June1952 @Afraser - thank you for these tips.   I have a moisture absorber in my daughters room at the back of the house and my windows do get condensation on them so I will be going out to get more of these little containers.  Hopefully that will help me. 
    @FLClover your little Alfie is lovely :)
  • FLClover
    Options
    You’re very welcome @Locksley 😊. I didn’t see @Afraser’s comment, but they’re also great ways to know if you have damp, especially if it’s serious. Since you have condensation, def get yourself more of the containers. Especially for the bedroom and where you spend most of your time. Hopefully that will get rid of your cough 🤞🤞. 
    And thanks, yes, he’s adorable 🥰
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    If you have an unflued gas heater theis also increases humiditiy and mould
    Perhaps a visit to GP to ask for a chest xray or reassesment for asthma
    All the best 
    Bright

• Locksley
    Options
    Hi @brightspace
    Thank you.   We do have an unflued gas heater.  We clean the filter regularly.   I had a chest xray and PET scan a couple of weeks ago and this is how they picked up my chest infection.  I have another script to hopefully knock the cough on the head.  I am feeling a little better.   I find lemsip helps me too.  I was given an asthma puffer from GP to help me breathe with the cough.  Cheers 
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Options

Locksley said:

Hi @brightspace
    Thank you.   We do have an unflued gas heater.  We clean the filter regularly.   I had a chest xray and PET scan a couple of weeks ago and this is how they picked up my chest infection.  I have another script to hopefully knock the cough on the head.  I am feeling a little better.   I find lemsip helps me too.  I was given an asthma puffer from GP to help me breathe with the cough.  Cheers 

You are certainly being put through the mill xx
  • Locksley
    Options
    Hi @ChezaH, Cough is almost gone.   The night air does get me a little bit as it starts to get colder.   Pushing through.  (Maybe start pushing people soon!)  :) 
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Options

Locksley said:

Hi @ChezaH, Cough is almost gone.   The night air does get me a little bit as it starts to get colder.   Pushing through.  (Maybe start pushing people soon!)  :) 

Yah!!!!! that is awesome news xx
  • FLClover
    Options
    Great news @Locksley! 😁