Painful mammogram and now recall for suspicious lump

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Once Wednesday is here you will have a clearer understanding of what your lump maybe!  Here's hoping it is benign!

There's a wealth of information on here once you know what your diagnosis is and lots of support from the forum users!

Please, as everyone had said, keep off google and don't keep prodding yourself as it doesn't help.  Some of us have tender breasts in a lead up to our monthly cycle and they are extremely sensitive.

Deep breaths, take a walk in the fresh air, find something that keeps you distracted

Take care
  • JulieVT11
    JulieVT11 Member Posts: 90
    @SundayChild I'm sure on Wednesday you can discuss all this with the Breast Screen staff and they will do their very best with allaying your fears.  In the meantime I was also told to use a cold compress/ice pack on the sore breast and it helped a lot xx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited March 2019
    They do use a local for a core biopsy.  I had a fine biopsy for a cyst many years ago but can't remember how that was done.  Try to leave it alone as others have said - there's no way you can self-diagnose and you'll only make things more tender.  They do mammograms on anxious woman every day so just let them know that the area is tender, that the screening mammo hurt, and that you're very anxious.  I was shaking so much at mine, I suspect I was being held up by the machine rather than my knees.

Ring someone up and make arrangements for a movie or a walk.  It doesn't matter if you can't concentrate but you need to distract yourself.  You've said that no-one can come with you but at the very least, if you can, make contact with someone who you can tell what is going on - it always helps if someone has your back.
  • SundaysChild
    SundaysChild Member Posts: 12

Sister said:

They do use a local for a core biopsy.  I had a fine biopsy for a cyst many years ago but can't remember how that was done.  Try to leave it alone as others have said - there's no way you can self-diagnose and you'll only make things more tender.  They do mammograms on anxious woman every day so just let them know that the area is tender, that the screening mammo hurt, and that you're very anxious.  I was shaking so much at mine, I suspect I was being held up by the machine rather than my knees.

Ring someone up and make arrangements for a movie or a walk.  It doesn't matter if you can't concentrate but you need to distract yourself.  You've said that no-one can come with you but at the very least, if you can, make contact with someone who you can tell what is going on - it always helps if someone has your back.

Thanks @Sister I have told a few very close friends who have been great, but I can't expect anyone to take time off work for that long to come with me. The limbo is just awful isn't it? I feel like I'm floating through the day, just wandering aimlessly around the house with no purpose :-( I don't know how I will be the next few weeks/months if I have to wait for further testing  results. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    I had a routine mammogram. Three and a half weeks later I had a call back email on a Thursday. On Monday I went back in, had another mammogram, on the 3D machine this time. After a wait I went into another room and had an ultrasound, and then a biopsy. They numb you with a local anaesthetic and then take a number of samples. It's uncomfortable but didn't hurt me. There was bruising and sorenesd afterwards but an icepack stuffed in your bra and some paracetemol kept it under control.

That was the last mammogram I had. After that there was one more ultrasound to place a hookwire (as a guide for the surgeon as my tumour was very deep in my capacious bosom) and that was it for that part of the proceedings.

You can always ask about having an ultrasound alone, but if you are dealing with cancer, you want all the bells and whistles at this stage. Perhaps a visit to your GP to explain your distress and ask for something to calm you?

It's important to explain the the screening people how traumatised you are feeling at this stage. You won't be the first person to have this reaction. They will almost certainly have strategies to help you.

I'm sorry to say it, but from the start, BC requires one to don the big girl undies and yank them up to one's chin. You can do it @SundaysChild. If I can, if all the folk here can, then you can too. Take it one day at a time, no more Dr Google, and try not to cross bridges until you come to them. Deep breaths, K xox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @SundaysChild,

As usual some excellent advice from everyone.  My story is not straight forward and not the normal way these things are discovered so is hard to guage by.

I just wanted to  say hi and give you a story one of my very good friends  went through just last week.
    She had found a pea sized lump and as she was due for screening so went along to breast screen. She was called back. 

She decided she would be happier going somewhere else (she wasn't happy about who was running the screening and the way they were doing it or something like that).  Went to her GP and got a referal to one of the local imaging companies. She was lucky enough to get in two days later.  Had another mammogram and u/sound. They actually told her there and then (this is unusual though normally it's 48 hours) that there was nothing they could see to be concerned about.  Went back to her GP for the results and it turns out it was just a cyst that happened to be really round.

One thing you do learn along the way is to speak up for yourself.  If it hurt last time tell them it hurt and you were upset.  If you don't say they don't know. Tell them to stop if the squishing gets too much.  Your boob, your rules, no one elses. There is always a choice and that is yours to make. 

However, you do want to know what it is right, so it's probably going to be best to go with what's recommended.

I wouldn't be to concerned about the radiation from mammograms.  If that's the case I'm in a little bit of trouble. I've had 11 mammos, 15 ultrasounds, 1 FNA, 2 core biopsies,5 MRI's, 3 CT's and 2 bone scans. in 2 and a half years. :) 

Fingers and toes crossed it turns out to be just like my friends story.

xoxoxoxo
  • kitkatb
    kitkatb Member Posts: 442
    Hi @SundaysChild totally agree with everyone else.  Especially crossing bridges before you get to them and will just increase your stress levels.  I had a recall from a routine mammogram.  Then went in and had a physical examination but was too deep to feel anything. then onto a repeat mammogram and was then directed  for an ultrasound which led onto a core biopsy 20 minutes later.( all done in the same building )  I was told there and then what it was but the sample then goes straight  to pathology to see what type they were dealing with.    After saying that I know plenty of people who have had recalls and it has been nothing. I was always in the mindset that whatever I had to do to find out what I was dealing with was the best way forward for me.    Try and take your mind off things and Wednesday will come round soon enough. If you need to see your GP if your anxiety levels are through the roof  I'm sure they will prescribe you something to take the edge off.  Good luck with everything.    xo
  • youngdogmum
    youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
    Hi Sunday’s child 
    As a 27 year old who was diagnosed a month ago, my advice is to listen to the doctors and nurses there. If they are recommending an investigation it’s probably needed. 

None of us enjoy the mammogram experience and I’m sorry to hear you’re struggling a lot with it. But tell them how much it hurt last time if they insist on another one.  If it is suspicious they will do a biopsy as nothing can proceed without knowing what the lump is. Biopsy uncomfortable but done with local.
    Try to remember they are doing this with your best interests. 

I agree with what everyone else has said, try to stop examining it. Unfortunately there are lumps and hardenings that feel normal but turn out to not be, same said for vice versa, the only way to truly know what it is involves imaging and a biopsy. 

The wait between everything is awful. I truly hope you don’t have cancer, but if you join us bunch who do, there are amazing resources to help, both on here and elsewhere. 

I literally just went through similar to what you’re experiencing and there truly is nothing anyone can say that will help, our minds always assume the absolute worst. But there’s nothing you can do to change the outcome at this point... if it is bad please know that most of us find out very quickly and things start happening quickly to help you. 

I hope it turns out okay. Hugs. 
  • Riki_BCNA
    Riki_BCNA Staff Posts: 323
    Hi @SundaysChild, please dont hesitate to contact the BCNA Helpline also for information and support. There are cancer nurses on the telephone to assist you Monday to Friday from 0900 on 1800 500 258. One step at a time. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    @SundaysChild
    It's Wednesday!  The day you have been waiting for - hope all goes well!
    Best wishes
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Thinking of you today  @SundaysChild
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I hope all has gone well for you today, @SundaysChild - and that you will now have a clearer idea of what will be happening.  

Sometimes, Dr Google mucks with your head.  Everyone's case is 'different' -  and Dr Google can come up with the wrong answer & we get all upset over  nothing - it is better not to do too much research on the computer. 

All the best xx  Take care & keep doing the things you love to do - just to keep busy!
  • SundaysChild
    SundaysChild Member Posts: 12
    Hi All, thank you for following up, I really appreciate it. The lumps were thought to be fibrous tissue and not the reason they called me back as they didn't even show up on the mammogram. I have a small cluster of calcifications in the right breast, and they wanted to do a "work up" mammogram and if necessary a biopsy under yet another mammogram to find the spot again AND get the sample. So all up would have been 3 mammograms in one day, in addition to the one I had 2 weeks ago.

I raised my concerns about my previously painful and traumatic mammogram with them, but also a very small possibility that I may be pregnant and was very reluctant to make a decision there and then. TBH I felt very pushed to still go ahead with it there and then, but I decided to delay until next week when I can take a proper pregnancy test. Also so I could do some more investigation into any alternatives.

The doctors noted that 90% of calcifications are benign and it didn't look particularly suspicious, and I know you'll all think I'm mad for delaying, but I'm really, really uncomfortable with that amount of radiation and the pain and trauma I went through last time. I asked if there were any other options to obtain a biopsy or assessment but they said no.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

They did do two rounds of ultrasounds and they noted the two lumps, which they don't seem to think is too suspicious, but did note that if a biopsy was needed it would be done after the calcification biopsy.

I understand they do have my best interests in mind, but I did feel uncomfortably rushed and pushed, even in light of my concerns so just need to take some time to get my head around it, especially as I don't feel I'm over the last one, which I'm still in pain from.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited March 2019
    It's Good that you've had your meeting @SundaysChild - even tho it appears to have raised more questions than answers.

A week's wait is neither 'here nor there'  - it is highly unlikely to cause any concern with your ongoing diagnosis or treatment. 

When it boils down to it - it is your body - & your choice.  Do what is right for you.  Get your pregnancy test done (all the best with that!) .... then take things from there.  

To get accurately diagnosed, you usually need to have at least one biopsy and ultrasounds (the biopsy is often under an ultrasound) & (sometimes) more mammograms and possibly other scans.    Did they explain why they can't do the biopsy under ultrasound (rather than Mammogram), knowing that you weren't too fussed with your previous mammogram?

All the best xx