Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

long term herceptin for bc mets....

Options

Comments

• Shakalker
    Shakalker Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Big hugs and best wishes to you @Mazzi
  • Mazzi
    Mazzi Member Posts: 18
    Options
    yep well I am still here, still having treatment and still swearing...lol
    hope you are all doing ok

• StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi @Mazzi, well done for 13 years that’s amazing! How do you cope with the 3 weekly infusions for that amount of time? I’ve been doing the 3 weekly Herceptin and Perjeta combo for 4 1/2 years and I am SO over it!!!!
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    I've been having Herceptin infusions every three weeks since Aug. 2011. Yesterday was no. 116. I'm able to go on Saturday mornings which suits my schedule. I'm now retired but for the first six years I was working hence the Sat. choice, since retired but on Sat. the hospital is much quieter and there's no need to wait in the sterile and uncomfortable waiting area. I also have no weekend commitments.
  • Mazzi
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Hi StarGirl 
    I do find it hard sometimes as patients come and go... but for the most time it's ok. I also have a sister that works in the oncology admin so I am lucky. As I have been going to treatment so long the staff have become like extended family. 
  • Mazzi
    Options
    Hi Beryl  where do you have treatment that is open on the weekend... :)
  • Merv
    Merv Member Posts: 27
    Options
    I'm just shy of 3 years on herceptin and perjeta and it's been going well. Unfortunately, the mets have spread to my brain and it's a whole new ballgame. For now it's continuing with the targeted therapy, I've just finished brain radiation and hoping the brain tumors will abate for a while. But mostly I'm intent on enjoying each day and not wasting a moment... and I'm in search of the ultimate cure for constipation! 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Oh @Merv your project made me smile, constipation!
    Just wanted to wish you well and say that I am sending virtual good energy and willing you along to a reduction of your mets with the continued treatment 

Take care
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Options
    Merv, not an ultimate cure but if your diet isn't up to normal, drink Pear juice. Apparently it has lots of fiber and was recommended to my dad when he got that way.

• Merv
    Merv Member Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks @Brenda5 .. I'll try anything!
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    Options
    I know a lady who has been on herceptin for 16 years and still contained in her bones. 
    Glad you are still here and giving others hope. 
    Paula x
  • StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    Options
    Hi @Merv, so nice to hear of someone else doing Herceptin and Perjeta long term. Sometimes I feel like it’s just me. I hope they get your mets under control xx
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    The suggestion of pear juice is a good one!  They say pears is a natural laxative!  Hope it works!

Also apples, raw are a laxative, stewed, settle the tum!

From google!

This article lists 14 healthy foods that can help you poop.
    • Apples. Apples are a good source of fiber, with one small apple (5.3 ounces or 149 grams) providing 4 grams of fiber (2). ...
    • Prunes. Prunes are often used as a natural laxative — and for good reason. ...
    • Kiwifruit. ...
    • Flaxseeds. ...
    • Pears. ...
    • Beans. ...
    • Rhubarb. ...
    • Artichokes

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Figs and dates are good too. 
  • OspreyBy
    OspreyBy Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello, This is my first time on this site. I was diagnosed in February this year, so have had right breast masectomy, in April started chemo for 18 weeks and herceptin and then radiation. I am now on three week herceptin. Had most of my right lymph nodes out and it has spread into my lungs. I am feeling pretty great but have now lost all my iron so am feeling pretty washed out, my oncologist today has put me down for a colonoscopy to see if that is where I am loosing blood that is affecting the iron levels in my blood. I told him it was probably all the blood tests I have been having, but he didn't see the humor in that. Love to hear that there are so many of you that have had long term success with herceptin treatment.