chemo generations

Options
2»

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    @beccabecca I think part of the problem is with ILC.  My onc did give me stats at the time (can't remember them now) but he did tell me that it was "about".  As I understand it, ILC hasn't been identified as a distinct type for that many years.  Due to it's presentation, it's often found at a later stage than IDC and it accounts for about 5-15% of breast cancer diagnoses (depending on which source you read).  This all means that it doesn't factor into the predictive tools particularly well and that the sample group is smaller.  Of course, lower numbers of patients also means less research, although I did read on a US site that if taken as a distinct cancer, ILC would be the 6th most likely cancer to affect women.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    My surgeon once said "What causes cancer is still a mystery. But we are getting much better at treating it". Complex diseases may well have complex triggers.
  • beccabecca
    beccabecca Member Posts: 71
    Options
    @Annski   thanks for that. 
    I am a person that like 'to know' or to have answers so I can make informed decisions. I have another health issue I am dealing with so it's difficult to make decisions.
    I'm also not sure how safe my job is after a call I just received - all I need!
  • beccabecca
    beccabecca Member Posts: 71
    Options
    @Sister  thanks, yes I don't seem to know many with ILC either. & mine was diagnosed late & only due to my persistence in saying that something was wrong after 2 'all clear' mammograms 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    Excellent analogy!  Our medical team has us as their number one priority 

Take care
  • Annski
    Annski Member Posts: 112
    Options
    A bit more on the "generation" - @Zoffiel (Marg) hullo there, your analogy is brilliant - the big thing in chemo evolution is the introduction of the taxanes which are 3rd gen I think ... Anyway the thing is they can have "better" outcomes but only for certain varieties of the disease - nobody even knew these variants existed a few years ago- and the "cost" is often higher in terms of side effects. So you buy a new Holden which turns out to be a German engineered disguised Opel and it does great if you are in a big hurry on the Autobahn but it is horrible on gravel roads outside Yackandanda where the old Holden ute will be a lot more reliable and cost a lot less. For me using the various predict tools suggested a taxane would add a small percentage improvement in survival at a high cost in likely side effects because of existing comorbidities and my age. In the event I said no to chemo altogether and one onco I saw agreed that was a good decision providing I went on the Letrozole and stayed on it. But there are no guarantees and (all sing together) "Everyone is Different" . Thinking of you Becca you will get through this!