Staying Positive - new diagnosis

Options
2»

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Try not to overthink all your planning, @Tracey2800 .... one the ball starts rolling ... a lot of it is a tad outside of our control!  So, try not to get worried or upset if your appointments are late, or delayed or even changed date .... (says she who had the wheels fall off completely TWICE & went into a serious MELT DOWN!  ;) )  

We'll be here to help you thru xx

• CathyMac
    CathyMac Member Posts: 65
    Options
    @Tracey2800, hi Tracey, I'm sorry you find yourself here too!  I was diagnosed on the 8th November after a routine mammogram in early October. It took 3.5 weeks to get the call back. On the 1st November I spent a day at breast screen ACT having more mammograms, ultrasound and 4 core biopsies later I was feeling far less confident than when I had arrived there that morning. I had a 2.5 week wait to see my surgeon who I saw on the 22nd Nov. I had decided before I saw her that I was going to opt for a mastectomy, but after much consultation with her I have decided on breast conservation surgery as she is fairly confident that it is early and contained. I will lose 40% of my breast on the 6th December when I have the lumpectomy and then a year or two down the track will have breast reduction surgery on the other breast.
    I have found this forum to be most helpful and  supportive as I'm sure you will.
    Keep us posted on how you are going.
    Best of luck and sending many hugs❤️❤️
  • tigerbeth
    tigerbeth Member Posts: 539
    Options
    @duxx1234 wow from me too , my blue dye only lasted a few days too !!
    All the best @Tracey2800 its definitely a  whirlwind , @Mjheke hope you get to Bali & enjoy a well deserved break 

Hugs xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    edited November 2018
    Options
    @Sister   :o
  • kmakm
    Options
    Oh me too @Tracey2800, I love a plan. I'm almost a year down the track now and the most I can plan is a holiday. I'm hesitant to do anything more important than that as I feel like the rug will be pulled out from under me yet again. I understand this is common. Hopefully one day it will improve.

Always happy to chat lovey! Look after yourself. K xox
  • Chris51
    Chris51 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Staying positive seems to be the challenge as we navigate this rocky road. I felt I was just coming to terms with my BC diagnosis and dealing with the gruelluing treatment plan that lay ahead only to be knocked off my feet with a diagnosis of endometrial cancer thought to be a ‘left over’ from hysterectomy 12 years ago. Seems totally unrelated to the BC - I am just one of those ‘unlucky peopje’ To have 2 cancers at the same time. I have just had further surgery and now more waiting because of course the treatment plan will have to be quite different. Not sure what lies ahead but I think the delay might mean I avoid chemo, but of course the radiotherapy will probably be a lot longer given the 2 different cancers. I feel so well (other than tight stomach after surgery) it is hard to believe what my body is going to be put through in order to get on top of this horrible condition. It is always reassuring to come on to this network and realise that there are so many others going through similar challenging journeys. I just want to get started on the ‘treatment plan’ so that I can see some light at the end of the tunnel. The last 7 weeks have been a constant nightmare.
  • Tracey2800
    Tracey2800 Member Posts: 32
    Options
    Hi @Chris51,
    To have a double shock like that must have been very hard. Did they discover the second cancer as a result of an MRI? I haven’t had an MRI but I think I might request one. I worry that there could be other areas of cancer in my body, but have no real reason for that except, I suppose, because I’ve found out how it can be there but you have no indications or symptoms. 

I absolutely understand when you say you just want to get started on a treatment plan. I feel the same, I don’t like being in a holding pattern and would much prefer a course of action. But like the rest of you, I’m learning to be patient and find the support from this group invaluable. 

Im sending you best wishes and hugs for your successful treatment xx 
  • Chris51
    Chris51 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Thanks Tracey - the second cancer was picked up with a PET and then followed up with MRI. No symptoms although I have always had regular UTI’s and I wonder whether these might have been an indication. Because of the hysterectomy the advice was that PAP smears weren’t necessary because I didn’t have a cervix. With hindsite I think I would have insisted though none of the drs that I have raised this with agree. Just keep reiterating that I am just one of the very small percentage that have this type of recurrence. The pathology from the hysterectomy was followed up and they have again confirmed this was clear. All a bit of a mystery, but this doesn’t help me!
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,584
    Options
    Gosh, @Chris51 - what rotten luck!  :(  That's a real bummer.  

All the best with your ongoing treatment xx
  • kmakm
    Options
    Hi Chris. I'm so sorry that you're going through two cancer treatments. Bloody awful darl!

Don't worry about being positive if you're not feeling it. It makes no clinical difference, and often it seems to be more about making those around you more comfortable with your cancer than making you feel better. Sometimes the pressure to be the 'good patient' is overwhelming...

If you're naturally inclined to feel positive that's terrific. And while 'fake it until you make it' can have benefit at times, if you're not, you're better off putting your emotional energy elsewhere.

I've been told that psychologically you have to lean into the pain and go through it, in order to come out the other end. Ignoring it can lead to problems further down the line, even PTSD in extreme cases.

So I say be grumpy/weepy/negative/angry and every emotion that arises. Go with the flow. The blue sky is there and when you're ready to see it, you will. At least that's what I'm hoping!

Hang in there and stay in touch here. K xox