Staying Positive - new diagnosis

Tracey2800
Tracey2800 Member Posts: 32
Hello All, 
A little over 3 weeks ago I saw a dimple on my breast that was only obvious when I raised my arm over my head. Since then I’ve had mammograms, ultrasound, biopsy, radioactive tracer injected and as of yesterday, a wide excision tumour and node removal. My breast, urine and poop are all bright blue 😆 Now the waiting for the results begins. 

I received the call to say that it looked like I had a malignant tumour while I was quite literally standing in front of 60 students on an excursion (as the lead teacher). It took every ounce of my willpower to hold it in until I got home!
Since then I’ve had some very low moments but I’ve tried to approach this positively and with an attitude of ‘I can beat this’. Fortunately I’m surrounded by supportive colleagues, friends and family. 

With the support of my family, and if the biopsy is favourable, I’m planning a bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction. My surgeon says there are other options but I’ve lost faith in my breasts. For me I think this is the best path back to not thinking about this every waking moment. 

What a whirlwind it’s been. I’ve never had to make so many decisions so quickly. How I wish I had a crystal ball 🔮 

Comments

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi Tracey. Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry that you find yourself here but I hope you find it as warm and supportive as I have.

If you are considering a double mastectomy and reconstruction, you should join the Choosing Breast Reconstruction group. Scroll down and tap Groups. You could also check out Reclaim Your Curves.

I had a BMX and DIEP recon at the end of April this year. You can read and see my experience in the group. It is a massive thing to do. It is not easy. The recovery time is long, and there are many possible complications.

Because I had chemo I had a lot of thinking time, which I needed. I have no regrets, especially round the fact that I had two lots of DCIS discovered via post-operative histopathology, that were invisible on mammograms & ultrasounds. I've since discovered I have a CHEK2 gene mutation that pre-disposes me to breast cancer, and a bunchof other cancers. That further confirms my decision. You can tap on my @ name to read my story.

If there is not a cluster of people in your family with breast cancer my understanding is the chances of another cancer in your other breast is not more than the general population, or just a little. Make sure you talk it through with a counsellor who understands breast cancer. You know yourself best, how you can live with 'scanxiety', but please make sure you understand the ramifications of removing the delightful erogenous zone that are your chesticles! I have foobs, they fill out my clothes, but there is zero sensation there, and no nipples.

Good on you for checking out that dimple! Seriously, a lot of people ignore stuff like that. I had the blue dye injected into my nipple, oi... It took about three months to fade.

It is a whirlwind at the start, and the learning curve is vertical. I hope you're doing OK. Good luck with your test results and let us know how you get on. K xox
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    Gosh @Tracey2800 .... that was a tough BC initiation ..... but once you have your results and can formulate a treatment plan, it sort of becomes a tad easier.  Having supportive family, friends and workplace really helps .. and now you can also put up any query or concern that you can think of, here .... and those who have been there, will be able to also offer guidance and support xxx

There will be ups and downs, tears and fears, but also smiles and even laughter along the way.  If we can help you in any way, just ask 

Good luck with your results xxx Thinking of you xx. The waiting is the pits. Grrrr

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hello and welcome. I too chose to remove both breasts and reconstruct as my cancer wasn't even visible on a mammogram but fortunately it was in a spot easily felt. I didn't think I could  trust another cancer wasn't growing undetected. My photo story is in the breast reconstruction group. The waiting for the next plan is hard as you just don't know what the next 6th months will entail but it's totally doable. ..as many of us are here to talk about it. Kath x
  • kmakm
    @Wonk Sorry!
  • Wonk
    Wonk Member Posts: 61
    edited November 2018
    Haha all good @kmakm
    Maybe I should post a photo of it in Show us your naughty bits - just kidding everyone 😂
  • kmakm
    edited November 2018
    @Wonk Hee hee hee! Ah, you're among friends. Quite a few members of the blue boob club here.

If you want a giggle, check out this thread. We discuss hair regrowth... not the hair on our heads!

https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/18295/hair-growing-back/p15

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Hi Tracey - suggest you check what sick leave and other leave you have available as you may not be able to return to work quickly or may not feel like doing so. As Primek has said, this is a site where you can ask, share, express whatever - and its very safe and private.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    Great post @Mjheke ...  terrific that you are still able to go back to NZ and now have a better plan of your own treatment now ..... a 2 week break before my own holiday after radiation, was just perfect. 

All the the best for your ongoing treatment xx

• Mjheke
    Mjheke Member Posts: 78
    Thanks @arpie
    Grateful for your input in the early days! 
    Xx
  • duxx1234
    duxx1234 Member Posts: 128
    The blue dye on my nipple is almost faded away. It will be 12 months on 15th December that I had my axillary clearance.  I was to,d it would disappear in three months! It must have been a big dose of blue dye in my case!!
  • Tracey2800
    Oh wow @duxx1234, that’s a very long time! 
  • Tracey2800
    I too hope your treatment plan goes to schedule @Mjheke. I’m such a planner and it’s been difficult giving in and just taking it a day at a time. Best of luck, and thanks for the message.  It’s wonderful that people like yourself @kmakm, @arpie, @primek, @Wonk @Beryl C. take the time to reply to me 💓
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Mine was gone in days @duxx1234 - wow!  The anaesthetic made me very sick the first day...well, you know how you wee blue?  It happens the other end, too - that's an interesting experience.