Breast prosthesis

Options
2»

Comments

• Kristen
    Kristen Member Posts: 114
    Options
    there are lots of different types and shapes and sizes- your body and bra also affect it.A skilled fitter is needed.I have worn a few dif types from Amonea and true Life over the years.  If you happen to live southern Sydney to illawarra  region i recommend Lily Bliss To You - Lily is a mobile breast prosthesis fitter and supplier  and i have had much more options in prostesis and bras and service from her then i ever did at department stores They feel wierd and heavy at first but wearing  one will  make you feel more normal.
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    One of the reasons I  had  a reconstruction 14 years ago, after a single mastectomy, was because the prosthesis that I had kept falling out of my bra whenever I  leant forward. It was also extremely hot. The prosthesis fitter in fact questioned why I  needed one, my remaining breast was so small. My breast surgeon was horrified when I  told him what she had said to me. 
  • Kristen
    Kristen Member Posts: 114
    Options
    that is terrible to be told  you don't need one. Even small breasted women deserve to be balanced and they make tiny thing triangles especially for that. So many fitters out there not trained well enough. Once i found a proper fitter  and started wearing pocketed bras i was much more comfortable.I know a lot of women find them hot and heavy, but once i understood the importance of balance of weight for my back and shoulders and i accepted the situation and the cost ,i have become very comfortable with my plastic boob. Of course i have to find higher necklines or wear camisoles with adjustable straps so i can make them high as possible at the front. ( Just Jeans ones are good) , sometimes use Hollywood tape, and i never used to wear scarves but now i love them. All theses things help  hide the lost cleavage. Now a days i figure if i lean way forward and someone gets a flash of a flat chest wall  with its scar its a chance to remind them of checking their boobs. Recon not for me since i have lymphoedema and i accept that. just grateful to be alive.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    My prosthesis fits into a pocket in my bra - it can't fall out. The soft pad I wore for a year while sorting out my seroma rose like yeast every time I bent over and had to be discreetly pushed back into place. I look back now and wonder how I put up with it! You'd think a fitter would understand the balance issue - it's also about what you want as much as what someone else thinks you need.