Breast prosthesis

Options
MaryB83
MaryB83 Member Posts: 45
edited November 2018 in Health and wellbeing
looking for recommendations for brand of breast prothsesis? How are they sized- looking for a D ( I was a 10G prior surgery)
Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    I have an Amoena and Am happy with it (needs replacing about every 2 years) although I have heard some women in tropical areas aren't so keen. I recommend getting it fitted. If you are in Melbourne, Judy Strates at Essentially Woman can fit at home, BCNA recommended. 
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I have an amoena and it’s good. Myer and David Jones also have fitters. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    Amoena, too.
  • BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Options
    Hello @MaryB83.  I read something a while ago on this website and researched what was available.  I ended up with a Trulife prosthesis.  It is soft and comfortable and has the 'drape' effect as per a normal boob when one moves. It came with a cotton cover so I can wear it without needing a pocket bra.  Yippee, my old bras are now in play.  The fitter will fit a bra to your natural breast and then select the correct size and shape to match.  Good luck.  Look forward to hearing what you get.  Anne
  • MaryB83
    MaryB83 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    I’ve had a bilateral mastectomy. I live in far north qld so looking  for on s that are light and cool (if possible). Also interested in swimming ones if anyone has any experience in them?
  • Sister
    Options
    I've heard that lots of women prefer the knitted knockers for the tropical areas.  As for the swimming prosthesis, I have an Amoena one and it is excellent.  
  • Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Been a while since my reconstruction but I did used to go swimming in mine all the time.  David jones were able to help me find swimwear with a pocket for it,  Amoena also have specific swimwear.  Once I got my confidence with it I was fine
  • Sister
    Options
    I also got my bathers from Amoena - a cheaper basic black for exercise and something nicer for the beach, etc to make me feel better!  If you have private health cover, you may be able to claim the bathers.  Amoena also have some lovely singlet tops with both moulded cups plus a pocket for the prosthesis - Valletta is the style, I think?  Also claimable.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    U can claim your prosthesis up to a certain amount through your private health insurance depending on your cover and also through Medicare every 2 years. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Liz O'Riordan (BS with BC) likes the bathers & bikini's from here. Might be a bit pricey internationally but if you're keen, there's some really nice stuff on this website.

https://www.aboutthegirl.co.uk
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    I am getting a perfect again prosthetic tomorrow. I can’t tell you whether I like it or not!
  • JulieVT11
    JulieVT11 Member Posts: 90
    Options
    I have been wearing the Amoena leisure form now for a couple of weeks and found it really comfy.  Live in Brisbane and I haven’t found it too hot either.  Going back soon for the proper prothesis and one for swimming as well, was fitted just before Christmas but hadn’t healed enough at the time.  
  • Sister
    Options
    I was looking at Siren Swimwear online (Melbourne mob).  Their bathers look gorgeous - I do wonder if they could be altered for a prosthesis (pricey, though).
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,377
    Options
    I just got my ‘perfect again’ prosthetic. Early stages so far but I like it. Very lightweight. Waterproof. Not sure about the heat factor so you would need to ask the manufacturer. Sits quite well in a normal bra.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Good stuff - hope it all goes well.