Just looking for Words of Advice.

Options
Janny54
Janny54 Member Posts: 89

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone could help me learn to Sleep on my side. For about the last 6 weeks I wake up really tight in the chest and arm that I had the Mastectomy on. And I have convinced myself that it is because I sleep on my front. I have a U pillow and the lovely pillow I was given in hospital. ( That is now a security pillow) Don't go any where without it.

When I had the operation my mind made me sleep on my side but not any more.

Hope this doesn't sound to silly considering so many of you can't sleep. Thankfully I am now over that.

Hope you are all doing well.

Jan xxxxx

Comments

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Options
    Hi Janny54, does your hospital have a Breast Care Nurse or physiotherapist? If so, a phone call may be sufficient.
    xBeryl
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 945
    Options
    I have major joint and back problems from other medical conditions and the chemo, surgery and aromatase inhibitors haven't helped. I've found that using a memory foam pillow, to keep my head straight and not kinked and bent on a pillow that gets squished as the night goes on is a big help. I also use my U pillow in front of me to rest the hand and wrist of my upper arm keeps it in a comfortable position. It's also used as a cuddle comfort for me too. I then also have yet another pillow between my knees to keep the upper leg from pulling and twisting my spine as one's hips are broader than your legs. Works for me (sort of). I am a terrible sleeper, but even if not asleep as such, at least I can lie and rest in comfort.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    It's not silly at all @janny54 I'm constantly amazed at my inability to figure out where my arms should be when I'm sleeping. I was a belly sleeper who had to reorganize after my first BC then reverted to factory settings. Some times it is fine but if I have a crappy night I manage to cut off all my blood supply and end up horribly contorted. If I had advice on how to fix it, I'd take it myself. Having spent hundreds of dollars on pillows, the best sleep I have is flat on the mattress without any at all. You are not alone. Mxx
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Options
    I agree zoffiel my pillow is that flat its like dead lol.cannot sleep without it.janny 54 whatever works you do.  Adean xx
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Hi Janni54 .....could be mild lymphodema mine is across right chest on mastectomy sideand right arm...perhaps see a physio for this..i have this especially when temperatures fluctuate so have been given a few exercises and gentle chest massage to do which allievaties the problem. 
    All the best
    Bright in hope