Discoloured Nails

Options

Comments

• Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    Options
    I have found my nails are still not as strong as they used to be and I’m 6 months post chemo. Luckily mine survived pretty well using black nail polish to protect them during chemo. It takes awhile for your body to recover. About a month ago my eyebrows started to get sparse again. 
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Options
    Only found out about the nails yesterday in my chemo education, I was advised to put on hail hardener first and dark polish which I will try but nothing was mentioned about losing nails, so I'm grateful once again for the tip, this forum is great.

I have very soft nails that peel anyway, so I keep them short.

I had fake nails for about 8 years and it took months to recover after having them removed, they were tender for ages and very soft with ridges, peeling etc. I don't trust nail salons after I got a fungal nail infection in two toes - thanks so much. 
    So I will have to do them myself, I'm guessing they will look like a dog's dinner haha

My question is I have 6 months of chemo, just had Cycle one, so when can I expect to see the discolouration start?
    And can I have any colour other than black?  Like a dark Red or Maroon?
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Kiwi Angel. I didn’t paint my toenails as they were always covered from the light. They still discoloured. I thought the end of chemo would see them starting to improve but they are actually getting worse. My fingernails were also covered from the light and they look great which is fantastic but the toenails hurt when they press against anything (shoes). I was just wondering when I could start to see a turnaround.
  • Jrcn
    Jrcn Member Posts: 16
    Options

Hi girls, my nails didn't start to discolour until the last one or two chemo treatments and did get worse for about 4 weeks after finishing chemo then they started to turnaround. Like I said in an earlier post I didn't paint my nails but used essential oils and kept them out of direct sunlight as much as possible. They have improved greatly and I didn't loose any. I finished radiation about 6 weeks ago and my thumbs are the only ones still to grow out. 

Hope this helps...

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Jrcn Thank you for that. My last chemo was seven weeks ago so hopefully I will see a turnaround soon. I use doterra as well but haven’t bought the myrrh due to the cost. I used the oils for neuropathy pain and also for toe blisters with success. The chemo stopped the internally taken oils from being effective but for external issues they were great.
  • Jrcn
    Options
    @Blossom that's great to hear the oils haven been working to some extent for you. Yes the Myrrh is expensive, I think there is a blend you can use without the myrrh to strengthen your nails?

Good luck with anymore treatment you are having x

• Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    Options
    One whole year later, after finishing Paclitaxel,  my finger nails are back to normal. My big toe nails however, still look very strange. 
  • Jrcn
    Options
    Great news Patti, its a pity it takes a whole year! My eyelashes came back looking great after finishing my treatment but they have now decided to fall out again grrrr…..
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    My eyebrows came back amazingly - better than they'd been for years...then thinned out again.
  • Newby24
    Newby24 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    I start first round of chemo next Wednesday. 4 rounds @ 3 weeks of ACtT. Do the nails fall off for everyone? It scares me a little because of my diabetes but I’m sure with nurses around they’ll know what to do 😬
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    I didn't lose any nails - I didn't use black nail polish either, didn't know about it. My fingernails were OK, a very slight tan tinge, hardly noticeable with a bit of ridging. My toenails not so good - went black, brown, grey and white, apart from the two nails quite unaffected! Also split and thickened. But did not come off. Best wishes. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    My nails got a bit weak (but they've always been that way inclined, anyway).  The only real issue that I've had is that both big toe nails discoloured a bit and lifted.  My chemo finished in early August (I think) and those toe nails are starting to grow out but don't bear looking at too closely.

• AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Options
    My finger nails developed four distinct lines, which corresponded to my first four cycles of chemo. They have also become more curved and I have to be careful to  not cut them too short at the sides, as they then grow into the soft skin, much like an ingrown toenail. My toenails first went dark, then a sort of chalky grey / white and the nail of the big toe on the right has come off and regrown twice. It is quite thick and a bit crumbly, but is finally looking as it it will stay. I don't have diabetes, but I do have very bad circulation due to scleroderma, and get terrible Reynaud's in hands and feet, so also have to maintain very strict foot and hand hygiene.
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I was on a different chemo and had a lot of bother with all my nails. They still haven't recovered properly and I finished chemotherapy nine months ago. But others on the same chemo had no bother with their nails at all. We all react differently to the same drugs. While it's good to be prepared, try not to cross any bridges until you come to them! K xox
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    No problem with finger nails or toe nails on AC T over here.  Used a gel coat polish (not black) as recommended by the chemo nurse (only fingernails though) .  They all stayed fine, intact and grew normally.