My Health Record

Comments

• MoiraC
    MoiraC Member Posts: 173
    Like you all I too share concerns. I am happy to be in it if they sort out more stringent privacy issues.it would be good to have all our complex info in one spot for our quality of care not dr convenience! Given the current debate on how they are potentially trampling on our rights to privacy I think we can watch wait and decide. I am concerned for people still working how it could be used to discriminate against people. And insurance issues.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    The more I find out about it, the less I like it.
  • Kiwi Angel
    Kiwi Angel Member Posts: 1,952
    I decided to opt out - too many things getting hacked these days. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    edited July 2018
    I am highly suspicious of how the Health Funds and Medical Insurance people will use it to their benefits to reject claims ........ if Telstra can't even protect their own personal information (personal details of their many thousands of clients, including the Defence Force!! Accidentaly  found by at least 3 individuals that that they know of ...  who had no computer training!)  And who knows how many others?

Any computer program is only as good as the programmers.   The hackers have MUCH more knowledge than most programmers & write their own programs to bust into Gov (and other) data bases - whether to disrupt, destroy or manipulate -  or just do it for 'fun' to disable a whole town, city or indeed country!

Whilst it would be 'handy' to be able to access your own records if, e.g., you are travelling this great land of ours .... a written record of your own - condition, treatment & tablets etc would be more handy - cos if the computer is 'down' for any reason - they still won't be able to access it anyway whilst you are at the Dr's!

TBH, I wasn't aware this option was being bandied about right now!  Is it a 'state thing' or a 'federal thing'?

Is there a link to go to to 'opt in or out'?
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @arpie Oh boy you must have been fishing a LOT because it's been all over the news for the last two weeks!

You are automatically in and have to choose to opt out. If you want to, and I'd advise looking at the pros & cons, here's the link:

https://www.myhealthrecord.gov.au/for-you-your-family/opt-out-my-health-record
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Not in Forster, I think!!!  I watch NBN news most nights .... and haven't heard it (unless I was in the kitchen cooking dinner!  ;)  )

Will check it out & I think, opt out!  :)   Thanks Kate xx
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    theconversation.com/au/topics/my-health-record-22162
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    those of us in Bathurst NSW were automatically signed up to it a few years ago we have recently found out >>>  :worried: Not sure how I feel about it ... technically speaking from our online presence they know everything anyways these days... 

• Vangirl
    edited July 2018
    Sorry, here is the complete link for some thoughtful and useful perspectives. I have opted out.
    https://theconversation.com/au/topics/my-health-record-22162

• Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    I am going to stay in, being single and poor as a church mouse on a dsp pension and being so unwell, I like the idea of any doctor being able to access my records when needed if I am away from home.
  • kmakm
    @Kattykit I'm just on the side of staying in. I do like the aspect of all doctors being clear on what the others are doing by being able to access my records. I have nothing to hide and as @SoldierCrab says, our lives are pretty much all online now. I will watch it like a hawk though. Any policy change and I'll be opting out quick smart.
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    I think I’ll stay in for MDH and I as we are retirees but worried for my kids so will opt them out. Don’t want my details sold off however like in our recent byelection to be constantly hounded .
  • kmakm
    @Romla I'm opting out my children.
  • Vangirl

Contrary to what many Australians may believe, MHR is not a clinically-reliable medical record, and was not designed to be. It is not up-to-date and comprehensive.