Roll Call

Options

Comments

• PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options

TabooGal said:

@PatsyN I didn't know there was an Epping in Sydney until I put Epping in my GPS and it told me how far I had to go

I'm pretty sure the NSW Epping is bigger than your Epping. It was an old suburb when my Granma lived there. I haven't been there in well over 50 years, so I can only guess what it's like these days.
  • PatsyN
    PatsyN Member Posts: 296
    Options
    @Sister The biggest changes are in Mullumbimby where I spent 20 years. It's gone from Hippie Haven to young Start Up companies all operated via the internet. It has changed the nature of country towns where once upon a time young couples just wanted to get out. Now they all want to get in, lol.
    Byron Bay doesn't have an off season anymore and is always full of backpackers.
    Suffolk Park is full of tradie/surfies and millionaires.
    There's not much in between.
    Our biggest attraction these days would have to be Music Festivals.
    There's one on every month with people from all over the place converging in the one spot with all their different germs.
    The locals know to keep away from Woollies at such times, lol.
  • pammiesyd
    pammiesyd Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Castlecrag, Sydney. Also Roseville, next suburb, and East Lindfield, where our daughters live. We are all in 10 minutes drive of each other.
  • Sarnicad
    Sarnicad Member Posts: 318
    Options
    Ascot Vale Melbourne - never sure if it is north,north west or west. But simplest explanation is near the Showgrounds or Flemington racetrack
  • TabooGal
    TabooGal Member Posts: 146
    Options
    We might have to organise a pub crawl through all of your lovely home towns. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,378
    Options
    Hi @Sarnicad
    I am over the other side of Ascot Vale, almost in Moonee Ponds. 
  • Piccme
    Piccme Member Posts: 68
    Options
    I’m in Clifton Beach, far North Queensland, 2 minutes from the beach and Palm Cove. Beautiful weather this time of year but the wet season can get a bit tiring. Originally from Mornington Peninsula but got fed up with Victoria’s cold weather. Have been up here for over 11 years but still not considered a local yet. 
  • TabooGal
    Options
    @Piccme That's a big move weather wise! How long did it take to adjust to the humidity up there?
  • Piccme
    Piccme Member Posts: 68
    Options
    It probably took a couple of years, hard to recall or is that chemo/letrozole fog??? It only takes for the weather to drop below 23 degrees now and I’m in jeans and a jumper. I feel for you all freezing down south. I was in Melbourne earlier this month, damn cold! Neuropathy and joint stiffness was definitely worse in the cold weather. So hard to shuffle out of bed in the morning, and I don’t miss a cold loo seat either. ;)
  • TabooGal
    Options
    I know how you feel. Had a couple of -2s so far this winter. Feels colder than previous years. 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Certainly does here in the Adelaide Hills - colder , wetter and windier than I remember with the dreaded August to come.
  • Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Northern Victoria ❄️
    @Annie C I lived in Derby in 1979. Changed heaps since then

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    Options
    @JenniA
    What were you doing in Derby in 1979? The town's population has not grown much since then. The official census figure is 3,256, however the shire persists in the lie of 4,500. 

There is a lot of new houses that have been built in the last 10 years, mainly by removing old houses and building new. I suppose the only really new change since your days is that nearly everyone now has airconditioning.

My very best friend (who I met the day after arriving in town in 1994) arrived in 1963 and left only 3 years ago to live down south because of her and her husband's health. I miss her terribly. They have some great photos, terrific stories and warm memories of Derby. I spoke to Kath yesterday on the phone and she said she would love to come home.

Derby is a town that you either love or hate. There is no middle ground. My husband and I love it and I dread the day that we will be forced to leave because of the inadequate cancer treatment services (i.e none with the need to travel to Perth).

However at this stage my feet are firmly planted in Kimberley soil. Besides it takes too much scrubbing to remove the pindan from the soles of my feet!

Take care
    Annie

• Doin'it
    Doin'it Member Posts: 377
    Options
    @Annie C my husband worked for the government & kept the water up to schools, missions etc. Loved it up there although found it a bit isolated. Back then, there was no tv coverage, only abc radio. Most of our food was frozen to buy eg milk meat bread. No such thing as mobile phones