Battle Undies

Options

Comments

• Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Options
    Just out of interest I did some research and discovered in country Victoria these towns have hydrotherapy at public hospitals-
    Ballarat , Albury ,Barwon , Benalla , Bendigo, Mildura ,Leongatha ,And Wangaratta. Some are major regional centres - wonder if the Victorian YWCA might train a local to provide Encore if your state govt provided access to a pool ?

PS Maybe a Melburnian might like to look at the metro hospitals. I can’t believe they are fully utilised .

Sorry but why does Victoria do no Encore at all ?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,552
    Options
    It is all about Government funding
  • iserbrown
    Options
    https://www.epworth.org.au/Our-Services/rehabilitation/Documents/Rehab_Directory_web_2015.pdf

Some of the major hospitals in Victoria run rehab for all ailments - page 19 of the above is the Enhance program specific for Breast Cancer patients.

As to YWCA Encore - it is not and has not been available for a couple of years that I know of in Victoria.  All these programs are subject to Government funding 

At present http://www.exmedcancer.org.au/ is running in Victoria and is funded.  The continuation of this will depend on results and the possibility of being extended to other States around Australia

• iserbrown
    edited July 2018
    Options
    @Zoffiel
    I'm not trying to tell you how to suck eggs but I noticed in this thread that your focus will be around Lymphedema

I have come across this website and I thought, if you haven't found it already, that it maybe a starting point - interesting to see if they understand it from a patient point of view or are they more practitioner oriented

http://www.lymphoedema.org.au/about-lymphoedema/faqs/

Good luck with the project!
  • Romla
    Options
    Thanks @iserbrown for the Victorian details - am unaware of similar programs apart from a Encore.

The SA Encore program was halved when Flinders Medical Centre closed their pool and the Y was unable to find a low cost alternative- it was pool hire that was major budget constraint  as volunteers run the program.
  • iserbrown
    Options
    @Romla
    No worries!  It is a frustration when a program has been operating and is no longer and even moreso, as in your example,  they rely on volunteers

Years ago I was under a Physio, after spinal surgery. She ran a program in a Hydrotherapy setting at a private school pool - costs drives everything doesn't it!

Take care
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options
    Re lymphoedema, my therapist is clear that having my arm in warm/hot water for any length of time is not a good idea. I am therefore noticeable at spas as the woman who is apparently wanting to leave the room, with my left arm raised above the water line!! Same with air temperature - current weather in Melbourne will have little effect on my arm, above 26 or so encourages fluid to hang around. One of the problems people encounter in humid climes is trying to get a compression garment on over a sticky warm body part, but unfortunately that's the time you need it most. 
  • Romla
    Options
    An interesting comment @Afraser as Professor Neil Piller here is a strong advocate of hydrotherapy for lymphoedema patients.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2018
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Romla
    Options
    Trying to remember what he told us last year -  think was that the water provided resistance to encourage  lymph drainage  - there might be some of his research online - I will try to find the handouts he gave us at Encore.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    Options
  • Romla
    Options
    Sorry @Afraser found ny folder but only a general document and a couple on non water exercise.
  • Romla
    Options
    @Joanie no as you are in a pool up to your neck
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,373
    Options

@Joannie

After a few good, to not -so-good, to terrible (local!) products, I now get my sleeve and hand from Jobst. Made to measure, wears wonderfully well, and does the job.